PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a TV to the computer

DeSade
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
So I brought one, nice one too.

Now I plugged in the HDMI cable and sweet as its detected as a third monitor and works fine.

Sound is weird thou.

I have a surround sound system and it activates because it is plugged into the computer, how can I stop it working when the TV is in use?

Also
Any way I can have the taskbar show up on the TV but not the 2nd monitor?

videoguy
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Just turn off the surround sound unit
make the TV the default desktop

DeSade
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I cloned the first monitor with the TV solving the task-bar issue.

Doesn't look like its possible to figure out a hands-free way to deal with the sound.
Still working on it.

SolMiester
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Guess its due to there being speakers in the TV and HDMI carrying sound as well as video.....is the surround sound plugged into the TV or PC?, what is the connection, do you have optical on both TV and surround?, perhaps you need to disable the surround on PC and use TV to surround, probably need a few more details to assist!

DeSade
02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Its just a 5.1 system using standard 3.5 jacks
3 of them plug into the various holes on my PC.

I was hoping the sound would travel through the HDMI cable and come out the TV speakers bypassing the 5.1 system but its not happening like that.

Issue is the 5.1 is arranged around my desk and works well for that area but due to the directional aspect does not work well if I am elsewhere in the room.
The TV has speakers facing the right way and would be good if they kicked in when I am using the TV as a monitor but they don't.

The whole point of this set up was so I could turn on my wireless keyboard and mouse adn access my media library without moving. If I have to mess with speakers each time then that defeats the main purpose.

dugimodo
02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Your graphics card probably has a sound device associated with the HDMI output which you can set to default to redirect sound to the TV but you'll need to do it each time you want to change it.
Right click the speaker icon on your task bar, choose playback devices, set the HDMI as default. In mine I have several as my graphics card, on-board sound, and on-board video, all have HDMI outputs.

What's a better option is some software lets you chose an audio device manually so for example I set my windows default to line out and use an amp and speakers for main sound but I set Skype in it's options to use my wireless headset as it's output.
Perhaps the media player you are using may let you configure what audio device to use so you can dedicate it to TV viewing.

DeSade
02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Its nothing fancy, just using the MS Media Player.

dugimodo
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
OK well even Media Player can do it. Right click on the top part of the window (by where the Library>music etc title is on a blank bit) and go to tools-options-devices, click speakers, click properties, use the drop down audio device box to chose your sound device, click ok a couple times. Close and re open Media player, done.
You could install another player like VLC and leave it on default so you can have one set up for the TV and one set up for the PC and just use whichever player is set up for where you want to watch.

Playing around with it to write this I set sound to come out of each of my monitors in turn and then back to the PC speakers so it works.

DeSade
02-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Cheers

I'll give it a shot.

SolMiester
03-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Desade, what TV did you get?, I just got the $850 panny 50" from Dickies, BUT, it has a ethernet port, which I connect to the home network...The reason I ask is, I have setup Plex Media Server on a VM running on the Host server in the garage, I use the iPad to browse the movies etc with all the details, and if I start the movie for a few seconds, it appears on the "On Deck" folder ready to watch from any other device, in this instance, the Telly....It really is a sweet setup and is free....

What do you watch on your TV connected to the PC?....

DeSade
03-04-2013, 10:48 AM
It does have a ethernet port but I never brought it for that.

I use it pretty simply, browse the folders to my media library and start up whatever I want to watch.
No extra anything involved.
H/Movies or H/TV/Series/Season and double click to play.

You kinda lost me with this - "I have setup Plex Media Server on a VM running on the Host server"

SolMiester
03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
It does have a ethernet port but I never brought it for that.

I use it pretty simply, browse the folders to my media library and start up whatever I want to watch.
No extra anything involved.
H/Movies or H/TV/Series/Season and double click to play.

You kinda lost me with this - "I have setup Plex Media Server on a VM running on the Host server"

You may very well discover that not all your files etc are playable on your TV, due to codex or resolution etc....that is where Plex comes in, not only does it transcode on the fly, but does resolutions for tablets etc, but it will get all the details of the movie, music etc for you...it is awesome...check it out...oh, and its free..
http://www.plexapp.com/

edit....just realised that anything will play as the TV is just a screen of the PC, however metadata tagging by Plex is fantastic, you get all the actors etc so....4897