PDA

View Full Version : HDD shock absorber ideas?

Vicx
31-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I just had my first HDD failure ever and it's only 2 years old, I suspect it's this new house which I moved into 3 years ago, I can feel vibration when people walk on the same floor so I'm guessing that might have something to do with it.

I was researching shock absorbers for HDDs and found this online, anyone know where I can buy these in NZ? looks like they're just screws with rubber padding, better than nothing I guess.

http://www.startech.com/HDD-Shock-Absorber-Kit-for-All-ATX8000-Series-PC-Cases~8300SHOCKKIT

are there any other alternatives? I'm also thinking of putting a few rows of draft stoppers (the spongy material you put on door frames) under the whole case to protect the entire PC.

Paul.Cov
01-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Yeah, the tromp, tromp, tromp of feet, especially the bare feet of kids can create quite a spring in the floor.

However, few people ever think twice about the vibrations from their speakers / stereo / sub woofer.

I had a whole bunch of drives reporting SMART issues, until I realised the HDD cooling fan I was using was a source of vibrations.

I agree with your plans to isolate the drive, but beware swathing it in too much foam, which will lead to it overheating.

The best I can think of is to hang it in the case from a single spring - so still full airflow. The trick is to get a sufficiently weak spring that the weight of the drive will partly stretch. If the coils stay tight it's a waste of time, as it's not isolating the drive.

Two springs might be better, to stop the drive from twisting about the spring and contacting the sides of the case (tower case assumed).

Care would need to be used if ever moving the case with a swinging HDD inside!

stormdragon
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Don't know if they'll actually make all that much difference but you can find what you linked to at Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=362671).

b....
01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
"The Hard Disk Drive Anti-Vibration Screws feature blue rubber anti-vibration grommets that absorb vibrations created by the hard drive and keep the vibrations from being amplified by the computer case."
I suppose they might work in reverse and stop case vibrations affecting the HDD.

Being from Christchurch, I have recently had a bit of experience with floor vibrations.
What type of floor does your "new" house have?

blanco
02-04-2013, 07:30 AM
This post reminds me of "April Fools Day ", so I would suggest
that you suspend your whole computer case from the ceiling -
as long as the ceiling is not vibrating. It would take a lot of
vibration to cause your described problem. Unless you live above
a noisy disco pub/nightclub , vibration is not your problem.
It is not unusual for a 2yr old HDD to fail - happens every day

Vicx
02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
"The Hard Disk Drive Anti-Vibration Screws feature blue rubber anti-vibration grommets that absorb vibrations created by the hard drive and keep the vibrations from being amplified by the computer case."
I suppose they might work in reverse and stop case vibrations affecting the HDD.

Being from Christchurch, I have recently had a bit of experience with floor vibrations.
What type of floor does your "new" house have?

It's not a new house, it's more like the oldest house I've ever lived in. It's just plain wooden floors with carpet, no insulation either as I can see the entire top floor from the garage below.

This post reminds me of "April Fools Day ", so I would suggest
that you suspend your whole computer case from the ceiling -
as long as the ceiling is not vibrating. It would take a lot of
vibration to cause your described problem. Unless you live above
a noisy disco pub/nightclub , vibration is not your problem.
It is not unusual for a 2yr old HDD to fail - happens every day

The floor shakes noticeably when people walk around the same floor, especially the hallway. I've used many HDDs which lasted much longer than this yet this is the first time I've had one fail so I'm sure it has something to do with the vibration.

Don't know if they'll actually make all that much difference but you can find what you linked to at Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=362671).

thanks I'll try those. I'm using a Momentus XT as my primary HDD so I'm not sure if I need it for that, I might not get another 3.5" since everything's backed up on externals now.