PDA

View Full Version : Partition hard drive

QW.
31-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I would like to install Ubuntu or Linux Mint to dual boot with Windows 7. Am I able to create a partition withing Windows 7 or do I need to run the Ubuntu/Linux Mint setup to set the partition for linux? At the moment I have a recovery partition, HP tools and a system partition. And Windows 7 has 450gb partition.

Chilling_Silence
31-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't recall if the Ubuntu or Mint installers do non-destructive repartitioning. Personally, I always use GParted LiveCD and shrink the current partition down so there is free and unpartitioned space for the installer to look at and say "Hey, free space, I'll just use that thanks" :D

ronyville
31-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Under disk management, you can right-click the 450gb partition and shrink it, basically create 2 separate partitions to install LM and Ubuntu. If you are just looking to have a play than I suggest using virtual box to do virtual machine. That's how I currently do it. Windows 7 as main and eveything other OS is in virtual box.

wainuitech
31-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Along the lines of the post by ronyville , if you only want to Have a play or try it out, you can also run it Via the Live CD options, that way it doesn't touch the W7 install.

QW.
31-03-2013, 12:50 PM
What is this virtual machine software?

feersumendjinn
31-03-2013, 01:27 PM
https://www.virtualbox.org/

ronyville
31-03-2013, 02:48 PM
What is this virtual machine software?

Link in the previous post. Its kinda like VMware. Not sure if you have played with setting up virtual machines before. Something to do this long weekend :)

QW.
31-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Link in the previous post. Its kinda like VMware. Not sure if you have played with setting up virtual machines before. Something to do this long weekend :)

Haven't use virtual box before, will see how I go later on using. Shouldn't be too hard by the look of it.

johnd
31-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I would definitely recommend using VBox - no need to get involved with the "bare metal" and re-partitioning and no chance of beginners misfortune of ending up with neither Windows or Linux booting. Much safer!!

Agent_24
02-04-2013, 03:06 PM
If you just want to try it out, install it with Wubi. You get the full performance of running on bare metal from the hard drive, but you don't need to change anything with your partitions.