PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot solutions.

Cicero
30-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I wonder if I could get your opinion of this, for sorting net speed, I have doe all they say to no affect.

Thank you for emailing Slingshot, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the speed of your connection, letís see if we can get this sorted for you!

Please note that your speeds may vary depending on the volume of usage in your area particularly during times of high traffic usually experienced in the evening. If you feel that your speeds are unusually slow there are some things we can do.

I have run a test on your line and see that your line is capable of very good speeds. It seems like something is currently restricting the speed of broadband. I will urge you to perform a few troubleshooting steps to try and identify where the problem may be.

We need you to perform whatís called an ďIsolation TestĒ. This involves unplugging all equipment from all the phone jack points in the house, including phones, modems, faxes, sky decoders and monitored alarms. Please ensure that your computer is connected into the modem via an Ethernet cable, rather than connecting wirelessly.

The next step is to connect the modem to the jack point directly, without using a filter. Please ensure all firewall or antivirus software is temporarily disabled and connect just one computer and perform the speed testing on our website http://slingshot.co.nz/tools/speed-test/. If this shows no improvement then the next step is to test the modem on each jack point in the house, and look for improvement. If no improvement is shown the next step is to test your modem at a friendís address, or borrow a modem from a friend and test again at your address.

If you still see no improvement, the next step will be to contact our technical support team on 0800 89 2000 for further troubleshooting.

I hope this helps to resolve your query. If it does not, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or to contact us on 0800 89 2000.

DeSade
30-03-2013, 11:38 AM
You need to get stroppy with them. Ditch the nice guy bullshit.

Demand to speak to a supervisor do not let the monkey on the phone start into their script, and escalate as soon as you stop making progress on the issue.

Cicero
30-03-2013, 01:18 PM
You need to get stroppy with them. Ditch the nice guy bullshit.

Demand to speak to a supervisor do not let the monkey on the phone start into their script, and escalate as soon as you stop making progress on the issue.

I threatened them with walking, this was their response.

DeSade
30-03-2013, 01:48 PM
A threat is just that, the monkey on the phone does not care.
Demand a supervisor, do not let up till you get one.

That is the first step.

Chilling_Silence
30-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah he's unfortunately right. They're *real* bad like that...

Anyways an isolation test is only for if you're syncing at a low speed. If you're syncing at a good speed, and throughput is an issue, an isolation test won't do didly squat unless there's a PC on your network that is always using all the bandwidth. In short, its pointless.

Issue is either your local cabinet, or Slingshot themselves. I'd personally bet a hundred bucks its slingshot... And what they're suggesting won't prove or disprove anything.

Cicero
30-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah he's unfortunately right. They're *real* bad like that...

Anyways an isolation test is only for if you're syncing at a low speed. If you're syncing at a good speed, and throughput is an issue, an isolation test won't do didly squat unless there's a PC on your network that is always using all the bandwidth. In short, its pointless.

Issue is either your local cabinet, or Slingshot themselves. I'd personally bet a hundred bucks its slingshot... And what they're suggesting won't prove or disprove anything.

I presume who ever I get, will use same cabinet, therefore not being much help in the speed area?

dugimodo
30-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I presume who ever I get, will use same cabinet, therefore not being much help in the speed area?

Logic would suggest so but it seems like it's not always completely true.
Short version, while it's true all customers on a cabinet are limited by it's connection speed that doesn't necessarily mean all ISPs will perform the same from that cabinet.

I'm not sure how bandwidth is shared between ISPs but It seems like it's not just "x" amount of bandwidth to the cabinet split evenly among all the customers because there does seem to be some difference between ISPs on the same cabinet.
Makes me wonder if the ISPs don't pay Chorus to reserve a portion of the bandwidth for their customers. Still I don't know any of that for sure so it may be putting you crook.

As well as that the cabinet is not the only potential bottleneck in the network, once the traffic from the cabinet reaches the exchange where it is hosted from there is also the speed of that host back into the cloud to consider and the speed of any interconnections between providers at various stages, an Xtra customer for example will be routed from the exchange into the telecom network equipment whereas a slingshot customer will have to be routed back to slingshots equipment. Each ISP also pays for international bandwidth and they don't all invest the same amount of money into it.

Call this semi educated speculation though, I have some information on how it all works but I don't have the full picture.

Cicero
30-03-2013, 05:51 PM
I think I will move to CS new ISP, there is talk of 15mbps unlimited with land line.