PDA

View Full Version : Possibly dead computer

Nick G
29-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Got me a old computer to have a play around with! Pentium 4, don't know how much ram etc. Plugged the monitor, keyboard, mouse in, powered it up and turned it on. Heard to psu fan spin up, but nothing else. Left it powered up for a while before stopping it. Tried again, same thing.

I then plugged the monitor into our desktop, and powered that it. Nothing. Upon closer inspection, 2 of the pins are missing, so I'm assuming that's why the monitor is dead.

The plugged our monitor into the Pentium 4 desktop, and powered that system up. Again, heard the PSU fan spin up, but nothing else, and the monitor registered no input.

Where do I go from here to identify the problem?

Trev
29-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Rubbish dump. If it is going to cost money then dump it.
:)

Nick G
29-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Rubbish dump. If it is going to cost money then dump it.
:)
Eh, its the first computer I've been able to have a play with without fear of destroying...so I'm willing to spend a little money on it and make it a 'project', just for the fun. Without the risk of ruining something expensive.

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Is the 4 pin ATX connection plugged in? Try another PSU? Does it beep or make a sound if its got a speaker in it? Anything blown on the mobo?

Nick G
29-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Is the 4 pin ATX connection plugged in? Try another PSU? Does it beep or make a sound if its got a speaker in it? Anything blown on the mobo?
Haven't plugged a speaker in yet, will try that and see. I'll pop the case and have a look about the other two. Checking with the guy who gave it to me, he said it should work, but hasn't been turned on in a while. I'll leave it connected to electricity overnight and see what it's like in the morning.

wainuitech
29-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Sometimes if they have been sitting for a while and not powered up you simply strip them, clean out all the dust etc from the connections, put it back together and away it goes again. Other times can b a Power Supply not working correctly, or a motherboard has died.

Trev
29-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Eh, its the first computer I've been able to have a play with without fear of destroying...so I'm willing to spend a little money on it and make it a 'project', just for the fun. Without the risk of ruining something expensive.
Fair enough. :D

gary67
29-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Mobo battery dead?

zqwerty
29-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Is/are the fan/s running continuously after switch on or just giving a 'pulse' of spinning then stopping?

Nick G
30-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Is/are the fan/s running continuously after switch on or just giving a 'pulse' of spinning then stopping?
Running continuously. Well they were still spinning after 20 minutes anyway.

Left it connected to electricity overnight, booted it up again this morning. (Connected via a working vga cable to a working monitor). Got one beep pretty quickly after turning it on. (Not connected to speakers), which would appear to be good.