PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Monitor

aturner
28-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi,

My family has gone form surviving on 10gb of data to now having to go to 150gb but of course everyone says they are not downloading anything. We have a number of devices but is there a free or paid programme I can install that tells me what sites we are visiting that is using all of our data? Appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Adrian

wainuitech
28-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Depending on your router, you may be able to use Gargoyle (http://www.gargoyle-router.com/) OR the router may have monitoring applications already installed but not activated.
Note: gargoyle doesn't work on all routers, so if you wanted to use it you may have to buy a new router.

Another way which we have here, is I have installed Networx (http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/) on all the Computers, it monitors in real time ALL traffic, incoming and outgoing including times and you can see by the hour what was used. It wont do devices like iPads or phones.

Edited: you can password protect it so it cant be turned off as well.

Chilling_Silence
28-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm a big fan of Gargoyle, of you're semi savvy with computers and can get it up and running, its worthwhile! :-)

aturner
28-03-2013, 03:12 PM
And will either or both of these programmes tell me that we have downloaded 5gb from xyz.co.nz for example?

Chilling_Silence
28-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Nope, not specifically, but if you're clever enough you can setup stuff so that Gargoyle will show you which QoS "priority" it's hitting, so you can separate suspected applications that way for pretty graphs and things...

wainuitech
28-03-2013, 04:55 PM
And will either or both of these programmes tell me that we have downloaded 5gb from xyz.co.nz for example?Networx to a certain degree will.

Let me explain, networx is on each PC/ laptop etc, all you have to do is look at the logs on any of the computers and they will tell you the time, day and amounts, wont tell you the site though.

Below are a few examples of my office PC:

Daily report:

If you notice the 25th had larger than normal amount, so go to the hourly details, and heres one part - between 8-9am

Now heres the trick, if someone turns the program off, there will be a blank hourly section - so the question is asked WHY was it turned off ?? better be a good excuse if the computer was actually on and being used. As mentioned before it can be passworded so it cant be disabled.

Depending on your router there is an option to monitor other PC's or over all traffic Via the Router.

SO if a certain person is using a certain PC at a certain time, and the log shows a certain amount of usage at those times its very obvious who was downloading what amounts.

dugimodo
29-03-2013, 08:00 AM
I live alone so I don't have these issues but after a few discussions with a friend about his Kids and having one of them stay with me for 12 months then reading all the forums on the subject it becomes clear that teenagers truly have no understanding of usage and have a default response to deny everything. Watching you tube regularly for example chews up quite a lot of data but the teenager in question didn't believe it used much at all because he wasn't "downloading" anything. Usage here never got to be an issue, but the drop in data when he moved back home was quite noticeable.

If I was sharing with other people I'd definitely look into getting a router with gargoyle or similar on it so I could monitor usage and maybe even set limits. I would prioritise myself with QoS too because after all it's my connection :)

Chilling_Silence
29-03-2013, 10:20 AM
If I was sharing with other people I'd definitely look into getting a router with gargoyle or similar on it so I could monitor usage and maybe even set limits. I would prioritise myself with QoS too because after all it's my connection :)

:lol:
Indeed though. Took getting a Gargoyle Router for my brother to finally admit he'd been torrenting a few things on the sly... Couldn't argue with hard evidence :p

wainuitech
29-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Watching you tube regularly for example chews up quite a lot of data but the teenager in question didn't believe it used much at all because he wasn't "downloading" anything. It really chews through the data - I've had to show many people when the teens didn't believe me - Installed Networx, open it, load up a Youtube video ( esp a HD version) and let it play -- Watch the MB's being used mount up in real time :horrified

As an example, just played one music video, Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (HQ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Sucked through 64.3MB, may not sound a lot, but do that all the time over a month it all adds up.

wainuitech
29-03-2013, 10:42 AM
:lol:
Indeed though. Took getting a Gargoyle Router for my brother to finally admit he'd been torrenting a few things on the sly... Couldn't argue with hard evidence :p Yep sometimes they need to be caught -- I remember years ago, one customer was always going over their monthly limit, the guy was saying its the new PC I had put in was causing it - xtra would throttle them back when they went over.

The guys wife was absolutely pissed off every two weeks went on a go slow she wanted me to find out what was happening - rang xtra, and the person I Was talking to said they cant really say as its against the rules, BUT ( lowered his voice) ask them who goes on youtube every week day from 4-6 PM ;)

I advised her and left with a smile :)

Greven
29-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I had a customer who didn't want to admit that his kids' youtube habits were the source of his data woes even after being presented with the evidence (Luckily the kid uses an Android 4 tablet & the monthly bandwidth usage per app was easily accessible). It was a satellite connection, so I hate to think what his bill was.