PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Range Extender not configuring...

caffy
27-03-2013, 10:11 PM
...yet I can connect to the internet? I'm pretty sure I am on my home wifi network.

I recently got a TP-TLWA730RE wireless range extender to boost the signal on this side of the house. Have gone through the Easy Setup Assistant, etc. and selected my wifi and put in the password etc. making sure it is on the same security type. However after a few minutes it says it's failed to configure the range extender...

I'm using that to connect to the internet now (have an ethernet cable from that to my PC).

Two issues for me here: 1) how do I get to configure the RE? And 2) how come I can connect to the internet? My wifi is supposed to be secure - other devices ask me for the password.

Not sure if this helps but on my PC it tells me I am on my "linksys" network - which was my wifi's old name before I changed it. The old name had the same security type that I do now.

Thanks,
caffy

wainuitech
28-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Have you tried logging into the Extender and manually configuring it ?

I have an earlier model to yours, WA601G and as an extender it wasn't that good. And it was a PITA to get it to stay connected.

The Wizards often fails, I had to manually set it up as an access Point because the location of the main wireless router was to far away for it to work strong enough as a extender in the lounge.

The stupid thing about it was its default IP address 192.168.1.1 was the same as the routers - of course that wouldn't work, you cant have two devices with the same IP address on the same LAN, connected to the device Via Ethernet directly into a laptop, reset its IP address to one not being used, then ran a Ethernet cable from a switch in the lounge to the Access point ( 1 mtr) and it works brilliantly now, 100% signal strength.

As a side note, other wireless extenders I have put in customers places, (Netgears) often have to manually configure them as well, the wizards fail often esp with passwords not being set or accepted. Once set manually they work nicely.

caffy
28-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Yup, tried to log into it at 192.168.0.254 (its address) but couldn't find it. I will try again tonight/this weekend.

Also interesting thing happened after I posted this last night: the internet stopped working, I couldn't "find" my router. So I turned off the extender, put the wireless dongle back on my PC, rebooted router and internet got working again. Not sure if this is useful info.

That aside, tonight I will try and get the router configured manually.

I got this router because here at work we have one of the models with 300Mbps. Do extenders generally not work, or is it this particular brand/range that has issues?

28-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Just in case ........ I may just be stating the obvious :thumbs:

To configure these things , you really should log into it via cable, not via wifi
If your PC/lappy has a static IP, that may cause issues logging into it

Some of the older extenders I tried were real pieces of crap, they generally seem ALOT better now.
You may also need a descent, modern adsl wifi router, extenders MIGHT not work with older junk wifi/routers ??
There may also be issues where particular wifi-routers & extenders just arnt compatable.

There is also a definite limit to the extra range extenders will give, dont expect miracles. The Extenders should be positioned 1/2
way between the original router & your PC. You may need to move it around to find the sweet spot.

caffy
28-03-2013, 01:11 PM
1101 - when you say log in via cabled connection - I assume that's what I was doing, via my PC which was connected to the extender via Ethernet cable?

How would I know if my PC has a static IP?

I can't recall the router's model off my head, but it is a Linksys with VOIP, bought in 2008. Will post more details about this later.

wainuitech
28-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Yup, tried to log into it at 192.168.0.254 (its address) but couldn't find it. According to the online manual ( you know if all else fails read the manual :horrified ) its default ip address is 192.168.1.254

To make things easier the extender and router need to be in the same address range.

Linksys usually use 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 as the default gateway.

wainuitech
28-03-2013, 04:02 PM
How would I know if my PC has a static IP?
This is for W7 - Go into the control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Top left click on "Change adaptor Settings, Right click your Network Connection / Properties / Look for Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) either double click it, or select it then click properties The options will be set to either Obtain Automatically or if its static there will be entries.

caffy
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
According to the online manual ( you know if all else fails read the manual :horrified ) its default ip address is 192.168.1.254

The paper manual that came with it says 192.168.0.254 - interesting...

caffy
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
This is for W7 - Go into the control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Top left click on "Change adaptor Settings, Right click your Network Connection / Properties / Look for Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) either double click it, or select it then click properties The options will be set to either Obtain Automatically or if its static there will be entries.

It's selected as automatic.

caffy
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Right, weekend got busier than I expected!

The router is Linksys WAG54GP2. I've noticed there is a newer firmware available for it (2.01.06) and I only have 2.01.03 - should I update this firmware?

How would I check if this router is compatible with the extender? Google is not much help (unless I'm looking in the wrong place/for the wrong thing).

caffy
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I cannot connect to the Extender at either 192.168.0.254 or 1.254 (??)
I am connected via ethernet cable and certain this is working as I've taken the wireless dongle out and I am able to carry on surfing the internet via the extender so it is definitely connected as far as I can see.

GameJunkie
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
i would update the firmware, cant hurt

might have something in the change log that may help the situation

wainuitech
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
What you need to do is make sure you are connected to the Linskys router - then open a Command prompt, This is for W7 -- click start, type in cmd then type in ipconfig <Press Enter> look at the default gateway --- What ever that number is, is the IP address/range of the router, the Extender should be set to the same IP range but a different number,

Example only >> If the Routers gateway is 192.168.1.1 check on the router settings to make sure it allows the full range, 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254, then connect the extender directly to the PC ( NOT Via the router) again do a ipconfig, that should give you the address of the extender, enter in that IP address into a browser EG: http://192.168.2.1 , look at its settings - change or make sure its in the range of the router, change if needed, if it has a gateway setting then make sure its the same as the router, the IP address of the extender can then be set,select a number you want.

so in the end it should look like something like this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway:192.168.1.1

Once the Extender is in the same range, you should be able to connect it to the Linskys, and enter its user interface by opening a browser and entering in the IP address you gave it, then set up the rest if needed.

Edited: just a thought, Use IE to open the settings, some device wont work on FF or Chrome. I got a TP link here that does like FF one little bit, works fine in IE.

caffy
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the detailed description wainui, I will do this now.

Gamejunkie - downloading latest firmware.

NOTE:
Is this the same Extender : http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=151 If it is, personally I wouldn't use it - looking at that page its highest security is WEP - which is rather weak these days and basically can be cracked rather quickly.

No, it's this one http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA730RE which I understand has WPA/WPA2 encryptions.

wainuitech
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah sorry about that i was looking at the wrong extender, and edited that link out.

caffy
01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
check on the router settings to make sure it allows the full range, 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254,

Not sure how to check this?

wainuitech
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
looking at userguide/WAG54GP2_ug.pdf (http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/WAG54GP2_ug.pdf) the default number of users is set to 50, so if the Extender has a setting of xxx.xxx.xxx.254 then its possibly out of the Routers default range.

Have a look at page 23 of that manual, it describes the setup. If it is set to 50, then you may need to reassign the Extenders IP to below 50.

What is the Default IP of the ipconfig relating to:
1. The Router
2. The Extender
3. Any PC currently connected to the router

caffy
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
The router is 192.168.1.1
the extender is either 192.168.0.254 or 1.254 (as per manuals)
this PC (via wireless dongle) is 121.98.164.225 (and so is a laptop we have)

EDIT - the PC info was found from the PC. I don't see any other addresses on ipconfig except for the Wireless

(see pic) 4892

EDIT 2- I cannot get the extender to connect to the internet (since after the router firmware update).

caffy
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Another screenshot with the extender on and connected via ethernet - is the info helpful?

wainuitech
01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Just trying to picture it correctly, the extender has to be in the same range. Looking at the first pic, if the Routers IP is 1.1, - Have a read of http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=357 ( ignore the model numbers, they should all be the same setups).

this PC (via wireless dongle) is 121.98.164.225 Are you sure its connecting to the router ?? It shouldn't be the IP range is completely wrong.

Its often hard to figure out the problem if not in front of it - BUT turn off the wireless on the laptop, connect the extender Via Ethernet cable, see what you get.

Where it says 169.254.142.153 you should now get the actual extenders IP. which then is setup as the page above.

A 169.254.xxx.xxx IP means its not connected.

Edited: in that page under Configuration on Range Extender, theres a option ( where it says "Please click here for the detailed instruction"), just remembered with some devices you have to set the PC/Laptop to a static IP first to enable the settings in the extenders/ Access Points, once you are in, and connected to the router you can then access its settings normally. (Both my TP- Link and netgear access/ extenders do the same thing)

caffy
03-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Just trying to picture it correctly, the extender has to be in the same range. Looking at the first pic, if the Routers IP is 1.1, - Have a read of http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=357 ( ignore the model numbers, they should all be the same setups).

Are you sure its connecting to the router ?? It shouldn't be the IP range is completely wrong.

I may have done it the wrong way, sorry - I used an website (!). Looked again - see below.

Its often hard to figure out the problem if not in front of it - BUT turn off the wireless on the laptop, connect the extender Via Ethernet cable, see what you get

A 169.254.xxx.xxx IP means its not connected.

That's what I got (169.254.142.153) under Ethernet local area connection from the PC - whose IP address is this? The PC or the extender's?

From the Apple laptop the IP address as far as I can see is 169.254.160.169?

Edited: in that page under Configuration on Range Extender, theres a option ( where it says "Please click here for the detailed instruction"), just remembered with some devices you have to set the PC/Laptop to a static IP first to enable the settings in the extenders/ Access Points, once you are in, and connected to the router you can then access its settings normally. (Both my TP- Link and netgear access/ extenders do the same thing)

So I'm guessing I first need to set up an static IP address first as per the two TP-Link websites? And then I can configure the IP address of the extender?

Sorry if I am confusing anyone - I am a bit lost here!

I can confirm I am definitely connecting the extender to either the mac laptop or the PC tower via ethernet without wireless.
But like I said before, I can no longer browse the internet like I could earlier - after the firmware upgrade on the router. Not sure if this is relevant but putting the info out there.

wainuitech
03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
OK 3 pages and still no real cause or solution. :(

Go back to the beginning with a few confirmations please.
Ignore the extender for a moment:

The router on its own works OK both wireless and Ethernet and its IP /default address is 192.168.1.1

The Extender --- follow the instructions on the TP-Link site to gain access to the extenders interface.
It pays to change to a static IP in the computer of the extender range as per the site. Use a windows OS please. Use a cable, NOT wireless to connect it wont work 99% of the time.

Look on the underside of the extender, it should have its default IP listed.

Once in the extenders interface look for and change the default IP address to something the same range as the Router allows ( not 192.168.1.1), if the router is set to allow 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.50 then say something like 192.168.1.48 ( last number is a random number to pick on choice but use the upper range).

Once in the extender and its set to the same IP range as the Router, you should be able to scan for your Routers Wireless, connect to it as per TP-Links Site instructions. Once the extender is connected you can also set the password etc. Once this is all done, you should be able to disconnect the Ethernet cable, reset the static back to obtain automatically and connect Via Wireless.

Bit of a suggestion: use a Windows Laptop to connect, and test signals on both the router and extender, don't change devices as if one is having a problem it can cause confusions as to any problems.

wainuitech
04-04-2013, 09:19 AM
slight bobo above
Should have been post #17

caffy
06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
OK 3 pages and still no real cause or solution. :(

Go back to the beginning with a few confirmations please.
Ignore the extender for a moment:

The router on its own works OK both wireless and Ethernet and its IP /default address is 192.168.1.1

Yes, I tested the mac laptop connected to the router via ethernet, with wifi disabled, and was able to surf the internet.

IP address of the router definitely is 192.168.1.1.

Currently in the router's setting, the maximum number of DHCP users is 191. I presume this means that the IP address of the extender therefore can be something up to 192.168.1.191? Can you confirm this? Then I will go about fiddling with the extender's IP address.

The Extender --- follow the instructions on the TP-Link site to gain access to the extenders interface.
It pays to change to a static IP in the computer of the extender range as per the site. Use a windows OS please. Use a cable, NOT wireless to connect it wont work 99% of the time.

Look on the underside of the extender, it should have its default IP listed.

Once in the extenders interface look for and change the default IP address to something the same range as the Router allows ( not 192.168.1.1), if the router is set to allow 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.50 then say something like 192.168.1.48 ( last number is a random number to pick on choice but use the upper range).

Once in the extender and its set to the same IP range as the Router, you should be able to scan for your Routers Wireless, connect to it as per TP-Links Site instructions. Once the extender is connected you can also set the password etc. Once this is all done, you should be able to disconnect the Ethernet cable, reset the static back to obtain automatically and connect Via Wireless.

Bit of a suggestion: use a Windows Laptop to connect, and test signals on both the router and extender, don't change devices as if one is having a problem it can cause confusions as to any problems.

I don't have a windows laptop available to use unfortunately. Only this Windows tower or the Mac laptop. Do you advise me to continue using this Windows tower?

caffy
06-04-2013, 01:38 PM
By the way, on the extender it says its default IP is 192.168.0.254

caffy
06-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Looking at the steps to set a static IP address, it (the TP link website) advises me to use the Local Area Connection settings. I use wireless on this Windows tower - so which should I be assigning a static IP address to? The local area connection or the wireless?

wainuitech
06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
By the way, on the extender it says its default IP is 192.168.0.254

Ok this explains a LOT :)

The reason I asked about windows ( and not the MAC) is windows I know in my sleep as to where setting are, MAC's I dont.

BUT change the MAC's IP as the TP-link Site says to a static, example 192.168.0.250, then with the MAC connected directly to the Extender Via Ethernet cable open a browser using the IP of http://192.168.0.254 (Extenders IP) This "should" allow you into the interface. Once in, locate the IP address settings and change it to 192.168.1.190
(personal preference, I never use the exact top end IP).

When you save it, it will kick you out of the browser ( wrong IP range now since its static). Go back to the MAC settings and change them to obtain Automatically. Now connect the Extender Via a Ethernet cable to the Router Directly - With the MAC connected back to your network - Open a browser, type in http://192.168.1.190 it "should" pop up with the extender interface -

Example Heres my Extender in the lounge from my office PC:

once logged in - NOW set up the wireless as per TP-Links site. Once set, you should be able to disconnect the Cables and connect Windlessly.

wainuitech
06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
OOPS :blush:

connect Windlessly

"wirelessly "

caffy
07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Right, something isn't working. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it's the extender.

What I did was set the laptop to get IP address by static IP:
192.168.0.250, subnet 255.255.255.0 and it asked for router so I put in 192.168.1.1 (was that assumption right?)

With the laptop connected to extender via Ethernet and with wifi off, I then opened up the extender's settings via 192.168.0.254, and there was no option to just set IP address, I had to go through the whole process of setting up the wireless etc.
One question - it asked me whether I wanted it to be a WDS repeater or Universal repeater - it was set to Universal so I left it at that as I didn't understand the difference between the two.

Then I set the IP address to 192.168.1.190, changed the login details from admin/admin to another one of my choice.
DCHP server was set to disabled - left it as it is, again was this right?

Then rebooted it, turned the laptop's settings back to obtain IP automatically. Opened up a browser and got in ok to the new settings (192.168.1.190 and new login details), could surf the internet etc. ok.

So I then plugged the extender to the router, turned wifi back on the laptop, I can see there's two of my wifi networks - one I cannot connect to "time out" and the other one, nothing happens. Then I get pop up messages of IP conflicts? Both on the laptop and on the Windows PC.

I turned off extender, rebooted router. Both laptop and PC is now working ok I can surf the internet again.

Where did the IP conflict happen, do you think? Why did two versions of my wifi appear on wifi networks?

I appreciate all your help wainui - I hope we can get to the bottom of this!

caffy
07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Oh one more thing I forgot to add - not sure if it helps, while extender was still connected to router via Ethernet, the Network Diagnosis said there was a problem with having 2 locations - Automatic and Static IP, I chose automatic naturally and still have porblems connecting to internet or the extender's settings, so I removed Static IP - still had same problem.

wainuitech
07-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Can you try something please -- log into the TP-Link Extender, check that its set to Extender mode.

If it isn't then you need to change it to it.

If it is, then change it to Access point mode, make sure its plugged directly into the Router in this mode. Change the setting to this:

IP Address 192.168.1.190
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

In Access Point mode, with it connected to the Router Via Cable ( has to be) , make sure the SSID is different to the current Wireless name.

With it working as an access point does it connect wireless and can you browse the internet ?

Do you have a windows based PC that is connected to the router ?

caffy
13-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry for the delays inbetween my replies!

Because I don't have access to the laptop at the moment, I'm using my windows PC now and so have moved the router over to by the PC so I can do everything here (i.e. plug in extender to router etc. and fiddle with it).

(After thinking, I now plan to have the router here with the PC connected via Ethernet, and the range extender in the lounge for other wireless devices. This means now the PC is connected via Ethernet, and I have checked internet is working OK).

Previously, when I logged into the Extender, it was set as Repeater (Range Extender).

With my PC set to obtain static IP (using same numbers as before, 192.168.0.250; 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1); with extender connected via Ethernet to Router, I logged into 192.168.0.254, and changed it to access point (as per your post, wainui). However I was not given the option to add in gateway details via Quick Setup mode. Just IP and subnet. So I rebooted it, logged into it at 1.190 (with PC's set back to obtain IP automatically) and skipped the Quick Setup - in picture attached - I can see under Network/Lan I can see add in Gateway there, so I've now done that (not in picture though)

I've used my phone to connect to the extender (which is ID'd by the different SSID to the usual wireless here) and can surf the internet. Though - this was while the extender was still plugged to router via Ethernet. With it unplugged, I cannot connect to any websites.

Am I right in thinking the Wireless on the extender needs to be configured instead of the Network/LAN? Or actually, the DHCP settings?