PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Hard Drive on ASUS Win 8 laptop

Iantech
27-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Seems they are throw-away computers now when the crappy factory hard drives crap out as you cant replace them. Im guessing this is much to do with the UEFI BIOS.

Client bought a brand new ASUS F202E beasty, very nice!! (wouldn't buy one myself though). The software he runs isn't compatible with Win 8 so wanted it downgraded to Win 7. I thought that instead of trashing the Win 8 installation it was easier to slip a new hard drive in and do a fresh install of Win 7. BIOS knows the drive is there and all its numbers but wont have a bar of writing anything to the new drive. Did a pre-install on another computer and put the HDD back into the laptop, it still didn't want to know about it. Tried WD and Seagate HDD's.
Thought about contacting ASUS about it, but Im betting Win 8 can only be replaced with Win 8 due to the new type of bios/firmware whatever you want to call it now. ASUS FAQ say on their website.

•My new machine is preloaded with Windows 8. Can I downgrade it to Windows 7?
Solution
No, downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 is not an option.

So that's the end of that.

Anyone want a Win 7 Pro 64bit at cost? :)

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Cost like ?

pcuser42
27-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Tried turning Secure Boot off in the UEFI settings?

wainuitech
27-03-2013, 04:11 PM
If you go into the BIOS and turn off the UEFI protection, it should then install as normal. Had the exact same thing happen a few weeks back with a HP and windows 8, I wanted to put in W7 as a test and it wouldn't go in unless the UEFI was disabled. As soon as it was disabled - no problems.

Edited: from memory there were two setting that had to be disabled

Also when you say
Did a pre-install on another computer and put the HDD back into the laptop, it still didn't want to know about it. Was this a simple install then change over HDD's ? Sometime that doesn't work, even though W7 isn't to bad, its far better to do the install, then sysprep the drive and put it in, that way it removes all the drivers and settings from the original install. (of course UEFI disabled first)

No, downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 is not an option Thats usually meaning there are no downgrade options unless its a business OS, or they dont make drivers for W7 - it should still install OK.

Iantech
27-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Tried turning Secure Boot off in the UEFI settings?Yep, turned off all that mumbo jumbo :)

Iantech
27-03-2013, 04:17 PM
If you go into the BIOS and turn off the UEFI protection, it should then install as normal. Had the exact same thing happen a few weeks back with a HP and windows 8, I wanted to put in W7 as a test and it wouldn't go in unless the UEFI was disabled. As soon as it was disabled - no problems.

Also when you say Was this a simple install then change over HDD's ? Sometime that doesn't work, even though W7 isn't to bad, its far better to do the install, then sysprep the drive and put it in, that way it removes all the drivers and settings from the original install. (of course UEFI disabled first)

Thats usually meaning there are no downgrade options unless its a business OS, or they dont make drivers for W7 - it should still install OK.Yep, all that security rubbish was disabled. Have to go out on a job (yippee, other side of town during rush hour!!). I'll come on later and give more details. Ta for suggestions. :)

inphinity
27-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Hmm, I'd be surprised if you can't, it seems to be very similar to the S200. which I've replaced drives in before.

nmercer
28-03-2013, 11:56 AM
security rubbish? LOL