PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an ADSL modem/4-port router with wireless

Myth
26-03-2013, 07:20 AM
As the title suggests, I suspect I will be looking to buy one of these in the very near future. Current one (NB6Plus4Wn) seems to be dropping wireless or connections quite a bit lately

What do you use that you would recommend?

(anyone suggesting Dlink/Belkin/Thompson will go on my perma-dislike list :p)

CliveM
26-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Asus NU12 seems to be the current reccomended one.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Yeah I liked the N12U but ran into some issues with not being able to disable SIP ALG, and it didn't handle bad line conditions terribly well...

So basically my only *current* recommendation is a Draytek DV120 with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle. That's the only thing that's proven itself time and time again to me.

Besides, you're a clever bugger, you'd be able to put the firmware on there no worries! :)

Myth
26-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Thank you for the compliment :)

Yeah I been thinking of getting a Draytek...

Any advantage for a non-gamer in going with gargoyle rather than the default setup on the TL-WR1043ND?

decibel
26-03-2013, 08:51 PM
If you do decide to go for the Asus N12U, make sure you update the firmware to the latest version.

Also, do NOT set QoS to the VoIP setting. (if you do, it permanently reserves 80% of the bandwidth for VoiP, even when you are not using the phone - thereby restricting your browsing/gaming etc to 20% of your line speed)

Chilling_Silence
27-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Yes, the Gargoyle is infinitely more reliable. On top of that it has some other *cool* features like graphs and things that sound "OK", but when you've got them and you're looking at them it's real freakin awesome!

Connection going slow and you wanna know which PC it is that's whoring the bandwidth? Fire up the router, it'll tell you straight away! :D

Alex B
27-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2710ne, I really can't fault it, it's a very robust little all in one.

Osmose
27-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Im using the draytec 120 DV combined with TPlink router TL-WR1043ND and have to say its the most reliable I have come across. I went through the Thompson, Belkin and Netgear and those were driving me nuts. Had a small issue this morning with my wireless but it was due to avast. I was using the free trial of the paid version and when it expired this morning the firewall messed up my wireless and couldnt get it going until I uninstalled it. love the feature of the gargoyle I can set it up to switch off net at night from the kids computers and for one evil teen it is the while list internet is shut down for her and only allow a few websites otherwise she just download all the torrents available in the net lol. Im going back to eset for antivirus.

Chilling_Silence
27-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Yeah eset is a good choice for AV.

I saw you had a bit of "fun" getting it going initially but it looks like you got there in the end with very little additional input from me. Well done :-)

decibel
27-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes, the Gargoyle is infinitely more reliable...

Can you load Gargoyle on the Asus N12U ??

Chilling_Silence
27-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Nope. Only on a "Wireless AP", nothing that has DSL.