PDA

View Full Version : My new game requires *!?X*&!* Steam to install!!!

Greg
25-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Just got Doom 3 BFG Edition, and the damn game required me to set up an account with bloody Steam. So I do that, and 100megs later I try to play but there's no damn way to play it (single player mode) without going via Steam, but... it requires me to install the bloody thing by downloading another 7 gigs from their sodding site!

How can this be!? So is there any way I can run the damn game with out that pile of dingle-do?

Agent_24
25-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Buy a non-Steam copy (if there is one) or tell them to shove their DRM and pirate it.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Eh most games are like that. I bought FarCry3, requires uPlay. Same for Assassins Creed III. Crysis 3 requires EA Origin... It's just part of PC gaming. Once you embrace it, it makes things *way* easier.

For example I've preordered Age of Empires II HD on Steam, just as I did for Borderlands2. I know that there's no waiting a few days for shipping once it's released. It'll pre-download and be ready, requiring only a small patch on release date so that it all works. It syncs my game progress so if I go between PCs it's all there. It's fantastic!

Paul.Cov
26-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Yeah, now that data caps have been nationally upped to about 30GB or more, Steam is no longer the curse it used to be.

Sure, there are still times when I budget when to install games, so as not to bust my cap, but it's really no biggie.

Steam is reasonably good now. My only fear is what will happen once they no longer support Win7... as will eventually happen... will 90% of my games become unplayable?

The Linux ports might then become an option.

Greg
26-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Yeah, now that data caps have been nationally upped to about 30GB or more, Steam is no longer the curse it used to be.

Sure, there are still times when I budget when to install games, so as not to bust my cap, but it's really no biggie.

Yeah no biggie when I'm at home. But currently I'm away and only using a Telecom T-stick modem @ $27.00 per gigabyte!

26-03-2013, 09:58 AM
... it requires me to install the bloody thing by downloading another 7 gigs from their sodding site!

Yep, I had that on the last game I bought from a shop (last year??)
Despite installing off the DVD, Steam wanted to download the whole damn game again.
After a few days of anger, frustration & swearing against steam, I finally found a 'fix' to stop Steam re-downloading that game.

Have a hunt around, there may be a way to stop steam downloading that 7G .
Turn off Steam auto updates as well, while youre on the T-Stick

dugimodo
26-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I've come to like Steam due to the cheap and easy online purchasing but I remember raging over the exact same thing way back with Sin episodes when it downloaded the whole game instead of installing from the disk. I have heard you can force the install off disk but I don't know how you'll have to research that.

It is really annoying but it's not just steam, try installing any online game and you end up having to update before you can play, WOW for example downloads around 16-20G on a fresh install.

Paul.Cov
26-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah, you now have my sympathies. Steam is only good if you've got ample cheap bandwidth.

If data is tight you're left in pain or in poverty.

When I bought the Orange Box (Half Life series) Steam insisted on DL'ing 8GB, which was an entire months cap, despite all the data being there on the store bought DVDs that insisted on me installing Steam... but I've long since grown to appreciate it... when the data is available.

You can suspend any downloads of the time / data is an issue. It's much like suspending a torrent - no data is lost, it'll happily resume the DL at a later date.

kingdragonfly
27-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I've stopped buying PC games, and I instead rent PS3 games.

If I really like it, I purchase it.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on games that didn't run properly, or were just no fun.

Greg
27-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks to 1101 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?22885-1101) above I found the fix at Steam's site:

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Well, it partially worked. It installed the game (took about half an hour, no probs), but then I got an error saying something like the game couldn't start because I didn't have my Steam login saved on my computer. I somehow overcame that by logging into Steam's site again. But then I received some sort of Windows error advising that the game was shut down due to some fault. But that's another story which I'll investigate on their own forums.

Thanks for the help.

icow
27-03-2013, 03:58 PM
At least it didn't require you to install origin :p