PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Ni200 ADSL disconnection problem

19-11-2001, 10:37 AM
Hi there. I need advice/confirmation from Nokia ADSL modem users.

I've recently installed Jetstart at home and bought an internal Nokia Ni200 PCI ADSL card for my AMD1.4 PC. I am technically able to installed all the PC hardware but left the cabling and splitting to the Telecom technician.

I have a great connection to my ISP and everything looks good except for one thing.

When the phone rings, my connection will drop ***ONLY*** when someone answers the phone. If no one answers the call I am still connected.

I contacted TNZ and they sent another cabling guy to check it out as I suspected a cabling fault. However this fella insist it is because the Nokia Ni200 is an inferior card. He poked around the cabling but did not resolve anything. He left saying the problem is due to (paraphrasing here...) 'poor noise compensation capability on the Nokia Ni200'.

Last weekend I borrowed a Dynalink ADSL PCI card and it has the same problem (even with appropriate updated drivers etc).

What I want to know is, do you all think its a cabling problem or a router problem?

19-11-2001, 11:58 AM
the fact it does it for two different modems would point to a line or wiring problem, when the line drops does it do it on all the phones in the house or just one ? maybe it doesn't like one of the phones in your house (just a thought !) else get telecom back and get them to prove that it isn't the wiring!

19-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Stan

I have made some enquiries from those in the know. See the following response. Comments??

'Have you tried replacing the filter?

Thee's certainly something very weird going on here. Answering phone
does have some fairly drastic effects on the line (it reduces the
voltage across it from ~50V to maybe 8V, but there's no way that this
should cause the DSL connection to drop.

What exactly do you mean by the DSL dropping? Do you mean that the
connection gets reset, and the modem goes into renegotiating it's
connection to the exchange?

I'm not that up to date with recent house wiring changes, but it's
possible that you have an incorrectly configured master block. This
included a capacitor across the line to prevent bell tinkle with decadic
phones. It may have had a side effect of smoothing out the transition
from on-hook to off-hook.'

Cheers
Paul

19-11-2001, 06:28 PM
Stan

Two things, is your phone system wired with the new two wire outlets? They usually have a 2 embossed on the front so you should be able to see quite easily. If unsure, just unscrew the front & see if there are two wires connected or three. I'm pretty sure Telecom's adsl spec requires a two wire system. If it doesn't, I sure wasted a lot of time and effort converting my house before I got Jetstream!

The other possibility is that the filter is either faulty or your phone is connected to the wrong side of the filter.

The filter should be positioned to split the signals at the first connection point on the incoming line and after that the ADSL line is dedicated solely to your modem via a separate outlet.

The DSL signal is way above the normal telephone frequency range so for the phone to interfere points to a problem with your installation/wiring.

Billy 8-{)

23-11-2001, 05:54 PM
Hi Stan,I hate to say this but get Telecom back.This sounds very much like a wiring fault,and the should upgrade to 2 wire.My job is to fix things like tis and it sounds as though the filter has been wired incorrectly,or you have plugged into the wrong jackpoint.
Peter

25-11-2001, 11:58 AM
Stan

Don't know if you have resolved your problem yet but on reflection I found that I gave you some misinformation that might have affected your diagnostic checks.

Brain fade took over at some point and I neglected to say that the filter only diverts the speech frequencies for phone use leaving the ADSL line clean for the HF signal. Worse than that, I implied that the ADSL line was filtered and would not work with an ordinary phone.

That is not correct as the filter feeds only the normal phone circuits and the adsl line is 'straight through' While it could be filtered, any filtering would inevitably compromise the ADSL bandwidth and limit speed.

Outcome of all of this is that you could have a phone on your adsl line and not know it.

Recapping the proper connections, Telecom fit their filter at the point where the phone line enters the house (theoretical not physical) and before any phone equipment is connected. The incoming line is broken at that point and the filter is inserted in series. All normal phone equipment is then downstream of the filter.

Your adsl connection must come off the incoming or upstream side of the filter and be dedicated solely to your adsl modem or router with the line. It should be either a new outlet installed by Telecom or an existing outlet rewired by telecom with a new feed cable. In some houses/businesses it can be hard to see where the first connection point is and the Telecom installer may have got it wrong and left some or all phones on the upstream side.

One corrective option where you can't identify the right place to install the filter is to use a plug in filter on every phone/fax socket excepth the one used for your adsl connection.

Hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Billy 8-{)