PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With New Printer Suggestions.

bellbird
25-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I need to buy a new printer tomorrow to replace my HP Photosmart C6280 All-In-One which I've had software problems with and hated even before it refused to print from the Cyan cartridges. A multifunction if possible in the $90-$120 price range. (obviously anything but HP) It will be for low to average home use. I've done some searching online today but suggestions from forum members for printers they have found reliable and easy to use would be helpful.

Probably Inkjet
Tri-colour plus Black or 5 cartridges plus black.
Prints a reasonably decent photo, usually 10x15cm
Includes USB cable
Cartridges can be refilled
Scan

Thanks for any suggestions.

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I would go for something like Canon. Since a few / or most of them use 2 cartridges. Used to have a Brother but too expensive to replace the cartridges, since most of them use 4.

And you would have to look on the box / or ask if they come with a cable. Quite a few of them dont. If you wanted fax as well, I see Noel Leeming (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/computer-scanners/canon-mx436-inkjet-multifunction-printer-with-fax/prod116107.html) are selling the one I've got (MX436) for $99 at the mo. This is wireless and prints, and a scanner / and fax.

You can also scan and print wirelessly to it. I'm pretty sure you can fax wirelessly from a PC too (I havent tried this yet tho). But I have used mine, to scan and print wirelessly. It also supports airprint. So if you've got an Ipad or something it can print wirelessly to it as well

Dont know about refilling tho. Never tried it. I wouldnt trust the refills anyway. If it ruins your printer, you probably wont get it replaced for free

bellbird
25-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks Speedy, the Canon looks just what I need. I've always bought refills from Cartridge World for the HP and didn't have a problem. I don't think the refills were the cause of non printing cartridges with my HP as many people had the same problem when I searched online and they were using new cartridges. I would probably take your advice though and buy new in the meantime anyway.

gary67
26-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I get my refills from computer food online, next day delivery and cheaper than cartridge world I use a Canon IP4700 but its a printer only and a very good one at that

26-03-2013, 09:53 AM
+1 on Canon, Perhaps the iP7260 or iP4950
Just bought one, still in the box. Im waiting for the black to run out on the old printer 1st

Many shops mainly sell MFC's , a pain if you want JUST a printer, no scanner.
but, do a bit of googling before you you buy a particular model.
Id recommend checking how many pages the ink carts are good for. Then check that you can get aftermarket carts for them to save $$
Some carts may have chips in them so you would have to use the manufacters expensive carts
Some are only 200-300 page carts(black), which means they often run out. Very annoying. Some have hi capacity ink carts as an option
See if it has full ink carts supplied, not just some tiny 'starter' carts.
Many printers dont have the USB cables, no biggie, its should only cost $5-$10 for one.

dugimodo
26-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Spend more, get a laser, print your photos at one of the kiosks in stores.

More expensive now but better and cheaper in the long run.

I've fought with inkjets for years and given up on them. I print very infrequently and always used cheap inks and even then my laser works out cheaper. Kinda wish I'd got a colour one though, would probably use it more then.

bellbird
26-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I've gone with Speedy's suggestion. I had been trying various fixes suggested by HP and others (mostly involving uninstall/reinstall - what a waste of time that is) and then looking for a new printer and got fed up with it all. I've purchased the Canon online as delivery costs probably work out cheaper than petrol to drive to the nearest NL and less hassle. I might not receive it until after Easter but that's ok.

Pato
26-03-2013, 07:47 PM
I would go for something like Canon. Since a few / or most of them use 2 cartridges. Used to have a Brother but too expensive to replace the cartridges, since most of them use 4.

What happens with the multi colour cartridge if one of the colours is depleted. Do you have to replace the cartridge or does it carry on printing minus that colour?.

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Have no idea hasnt happened to me yet. Altho I thought that applied to most printers. But no it doesnt. The brother printer I had one ran out it wouldnt print at all

Bobh
28-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Spend more, get a laser, print your photos at one of the kiosks in stores.

More expensive now but better and cheaper in the long run.

I've fought with inkjets for years and given up on them. I print very infrequently and always used cheap inks and even then my laser works out cheaper. Kinda wish I'd got a colour one though, would probably use it more then.
I have gone away from inkjet printers. I only used them occasionally and each time I went to use the printer I found out that the ink had dried up and I needed to do a clean which used up precious ink.

I have now purchased a colour laser printer. The toner is quite costly but it lasts a long time so after the initial expense it works out cheaper in the long run.

Pato
28-03-2013, 01:21 PM
My HP printer has five colour and a black cartridge and I am thinking of upgrading. Some suggest it is best to have a printer with a tri-colour cartridge, but it appears to
me that when one colour runs out you have to replace the entire cartridge, so I can't see that there would be any advantage over my printer with six cartridges.
A Laser printer seems to be the way to go but they appear to be quite expensive to purchase even if the toner is cheaper in the long run.

bellbird
28-03-2013, 06:11 PM
An update to my printer purchase. I bought the Canon MX436 $99 from Noel Leeming which Speedy suggested. I ordered it online on Tuesday and even though it had to come down from Auckland I received it this morning. Well done Noel Leemings and Courier Post. The $75 cash back promotion made it a good deal so I bought spare tricolour and black ink cartridges which were on special the day I purchased. Looking forward to getting it up and running over Easter.

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Sweet !

Greven
29-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Canon have gone too far with some of their latest printer models - we do not need a grey ink tank