PDA

View Full Version : Do many of you use Windows 7 (or 8 ) Libraries ?

Digby
25-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm usually a bit slow on the uptake of new features.

So I was wondering if, for the average user, Windows 7 libraries are something I should study or use?

pcuser42
25-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Libraries make finding files so much easier :D

In my Documents library, I've added my documents folder from SkyDrive so all my documents appear in one place. I've also got a custom library for certain photos and videos, sorted (by the library view options) by month taken.

Nick G
25-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I like them, once you've set it really useful. Hate how the 'my videos' location is in the 'my pictures' library as well a the 'my videos' library, and vice versa, but its a quick fix.

The Error Guy
25-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Libraries are great, you can have several folder locations in one place, external HDD's, network drives, skydrive etc etc it's really cool! It makes it so much easier to manage stuff that's spread across a wide range of devices.

pcuser42
25-03-2013, 02:43 PM
I like them, once you've set it really useful. Hate how the 'my videos' location is in the 'my pictures' library as well a the 'my videos' library, and vice versa, but its a quick fix.

It shouldn't be by default...

dugimodo
25-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Never use them myself.

psycik
25-03-2013, 03:20 PM
They seem a bit inconsistent with handling of network locations.

Even to the point that a networked location if it gets removed, when you try to readd it, it complains about lack on indexing.

But handy overall - especially if you have a central storage machine

pcuser42
25-03-2013, 04:47 PM
There's a library tool floating around that can add non-indexed network locations to a library.

SanChippy
27-03-2013, 05:48 PM
I like the idea of how things can be anywhere on the hard drive, and you can just left click and then 'add to library...' makes things so convenient. I just down like the style that they have been implemented in, like the 2 locations in this library or what ever you have in it, as it means that you have to scroll down to get certain folders.
I still think that MS could work the library system a bit better by not including a separate user folder ie {User Name} that contains other folders such as downloads and games - Which nobody uses cause of Steam, or so I heard. If that were to happen though many would hate it...

pcuser42
27-03-2013, 05:54 PM
I just down like the style that they have been implemented in, like the 2 locations in this library or what ever you have in it, as it means that you have to scroll down to get certain folders.

Libraries have different grouping options, the default is "By folder" (like what you're seeing), and "None" is an option. ;)

autechre
28-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Don't use them either... nor My Docs on older PCs.

Nomad
28-03-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't really use it, I had to look it up and see what it was :lol: I have a photo software which manages it - Adobe Lightroom. My files are sorted in a file structure I made.