PDA

View Full Version : Quality audio output - again :rolleyes:

Sanco
24-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I want to have video from my dvd player coming through my hdmi and the audio using analogue connections - is it possible to do? Will the hdmi take over the analogue for the sound output and how will I set it up?

I wonder if I made sense :eek:

Thank you.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Could if whatever has the HDMI had audio in and out on it. Thats what I do here. Since the monitor has audio in and out, if I had speakers, (For the Xbox), I could plug them into the audio out on it, So I could hear something

It should cut the sound to the monitor / TV, and put the sound through the speakers

b....
24-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I would assume that the HDMI audio would be cut if the player has dedicated audio outputs that are being used.

Our DVD has HDMI connected to the TV and the 5.1 analogue audio outputs connected to a speaker system. There is no sound from the TV speakers.

Sanco
24-03-2013, 01:09 PM
So I should get the hdmi straight to the tv set and the analogue to the avr for the audio system? Would I get some out of sync with the audio when playing movies?

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Yup connect the HDMi cable to whatever then plug the speakers into the AVR/TV whatever it is.

Dont think so. I've never had any out of sync probs

Sanco
24-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi Speedy, by whatever you mean the tv set or anywhere?

Sanco
24-03-2013, 03:31 PM
I guess I could use the Aux input for cd playing only and leave everything else on hdmi.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Well, if the TV / AVR / whatever if its got audio out plug the speakers into that. Dont know if plugging RCA cables into the DVD outputs will work.( if HDMI is connected as well - one may cut out the other) I've never tried it that way

Sanco
24-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Sorted I think. This is what I did.

The Denon AVR 590 has three quick input buttons at the front, so I left the current DVD (digital HDMI) one as it is, so that I can play dvd's there. Used one for the Freeview input and the other I have re-mapped into the ipod input, changed the input/output to analog, then used the audio out (analog) from the dvd player to the AVR ... et voilá Habemus better music!

Have I stuffed it all up? lol.

dugimodo
25-03-2013, 09:23 AM
My blu-ray player from memory had to be set to output sound through other connections when using HDMI or it just used the HDMI. I had it connected optically to my receiver for surround sound and via HDMI to the TV and I got no sound on the TV when set to use the SPDIF. It might have been different using analogue, my main concern is setting it to use stereo analog out might stop surround being output Via HDMI but I don't know if that's an issue for you.

I replaced my old receiver though and the new one has 4 HDMI inputs so I just use that and it works better than my old setup which was a confusing mess. I had a PS3 and Bluray sharing the one input on the receiver, one using optical and the other coax. Then freeview was connected Via the one other optical connector and all were connected to the TV's 3 HDMI inputs. Getting it set-up to view one of the devices was a pain in the butt.

Sanco
25-03-2013, 11:21 AM
It might have been different using analogue, my main concern is setting it to use stereo analog out might stop surround being output Via HDMI but I don't know if that's an issue for you.

Hi dugimodo, no problem for me there. The three quick selections are each completely separate and customizable, so I left the dvd input on hdmi digital with audissey, and the cd button is from ipod input on analogue settings. Works a treat for me and the sound has definitely improved. The hdmi sound, although of good quality, was a little too 'transparent' - if that makes sense.