PDA

View Full Version : on the road laptop connection to home desk top

hoanikai
22-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi people,

I am about to purchase a laptop which I need to be able to link to my home desktop whilist on the road for weeks at a time.
I need to be able to access and respond to my mail (outlook via xtra) and also link to current job spreadsheets.
I currently use an iphone for my main business communications.
However my desktop is windows XP pro...
Can anyone out there steer me in the right direction.

I look forward to hearing back from any forum members who can help.

Many thanks
hoanikai

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2013, 12:20 PM
LogMeIn is your friend, all free :)

hoanikai
22-03-2013, 12:25 PM
LogMeIn is your friend, all free :)
cheers CS, will follow up on this now.

SolMiester
22-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I think Team Viewer is a much much better product than Logmein!

22-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I think Team Viewer is a much much better product than Logmein!

Yep, TeamVeiwer is great, also horrendously expensive .
What are the limitations on the free version? can it be automated/run as service ??

Alex B
22-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Pretty sure yahoo xtra supports imap meaning you could use webmail for email, and then just store your excel file on something like skydrive.

beama
22-03-2013, 01:41 PM
team veiw is good but in this case because teamveiwer needs two tokens to be generated by the controlled pc and supplied to and used by controlee at the time of connection, I would go with Chills suggestion as this is not the case with logmein

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2013, 02:19 PM
You can also give TV a preset password so its always the same. Dont think its got limitations unless you select business / other when you install. Then it may run out / be a trial

wainuitech
22-03-2013, 04:43 PM
TeamViewer is free for personal use ;) AFAIK, you can set your own password still as its been mentioned. Install the full version, and leave it running 24/7, then on the laptop do the same thing and simply log in using the details preset. Even if it reboots as long as you set it to your own password, it will still work fine.

gary67
22-03-2013, 08:01 PM
TeamViewer is free for personal use ;) AFAIK, you can set your own password still as its been mentioned. Install the full version, and leave it running 24/7, then on the laptop do the same thing and simply log in using the details preset. Even if it reboots as long as you set it to your own password, it will still work fine.

yep I do this with my workshop PC that runs my 3D printer, so that once its finished printing I can shut it all down even from work

hoanikai
23-03-2013, 11:15 AM
hey thanks a lot people....greatly appreciated
will check your advice out...
firstly i'm off to buy a laptop..

thanks once again