PDA

View Full Version : Unstable wired network connection.

Colpol
22-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Thw desktop SWMBO uses was giving me so much grief I replaced it. I posted this in an earlier thread and seem to have stopped the crashing but it still looses the wired connection and the printer.
I have replaced several cables, Replaced the Cisco Router. Reloaded the printer software. The other day I decided to replace the On Board Network with a Plug in Network card thinking having tried everything else that was the problem. No such luck. Still loosing the network and printer.
Any Ideas welcome

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2013, 12:20 PM
What's the make and model of the Cisco router?

Colpol
22-03-2013, 12:56 PM
What's the make and model of the Cisco router?

Lynksys X3000

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Try this:
Buy a cheap switch from PBTech or DSE for $20 or whatever, plug the printer, PC and router into that. See if the router dies and goes down while you can still retain connectivity to the router.

This will rule out it being the router itself that's going down.

Colpol
22-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Try this:
Buy a cheap switch from PBTech or DSE for $20 or whatever, plug the printer, PC and router into that. See if the router dies and goes down while you can still retain connectivity to the router.

This will rule out it being the router itself that's going down.

Thanks Chill.
Dug out an old powered ethernet switch I used many years ago and put it between the comp and the router/modem. reloaded the printer and made sure it was printing, and noted that the comp was online.
Restarted and the printer was offline. About 20 mins after restart it lost the internet connection.
Suggests to me that it is pointing back to the computer as being the problem.

Just noticed it has reconnected itself to the internet (but not the printer).
Exactly what it was doing before i.e. Loosing and reconnecting itself at random.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Look in event viewer. See if it says anything at about the time it cuts off