PDA

View Full Version : aaaaaargh my mothers pc has another virus

wotz
21-03-2013, 07:08 PM
She got the ukash one. PC is locked with a warning from the Australian Federal Police. She always maintains she didn't click on anything. Tui here. She'll have to wait for the weekend before I can fix it.

wainuitech
21-03-2013, 07:51 PM
You can get that sort of Malware / infections and not click on anything, sometimes its a drive by download, or simply visiting a site that's been infected.

hoanikai
22-03-2013, 12:23 PM
had that happen to me recently...
after stumbling around trying to deal with it...(their homepage kept taking over) I finally in the brief time before 'their' homepage took over was able to click on my Malware bytes desktop icon, thus bringing up their page for a scan.
Lo and behold one heavyweight virus quarantined....and no more problems

wratterus
22-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I had one of these the other day, it seemed to be a slightly different variety than normal. Can you get into safe mode? The one I had locked me out of safe mode too - I was forced to pull the drive out and scan over top - after that I was able to boot up and run malwarebytes etc. Combofix deals to it too, thats a bit like nailing a carpet tack in with a sledgehammer though.

nerd89
05-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Sorted one of those by opening in safe mode with command prompt, typing in <explorer> before the malware locked me out, then doing systems restore, rebooted, then malwarebytes. Seems to have fixed the problem. The people behind this scam should be shut down.

wainuitech
05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Got one in the workshop now, its the new versions -- wont allow you into any type of safemode, command prompt etc. Its not hard to remove with the right software ( bootable CD) One interesting thing is its more locally targeted as well, actually lists places in Wellington you can pay the fee -- Yeah right ;)

linw
06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Just got an infected laptop here. It wouldn't boot from a CD but luckily it let me into safe mode where I was able to rum MBAM. Seems to have got rid.