PDA

View Full Version : Backing up failing HDD?

Vicx
21-03-2013, 03:44 PM
My storage HDD is getting worse by the day! I got a few crashes while browsing photos a month ago, backed them all up instantly to an external HDD. Now it freezes when I start to browse the other misc files. I copied a few gb last night fine, but today it started freezing on the folder I'm up to, I can't even check the properties anymore on that specific folder even though I could last night.

How do I safely copy over the last few remaining files without it crashing when copy/paste no longer works? I can still open the folders and see the files but not copy them.

I've also tried roadkill's unstoppable copier today which did work for about 8gb (after a few attempts) but now can't even copy 100mb anymore, just keeps freezing whether I copy manually or use roadkill.

I might resort to freezing the HDD if I can't do anything else: http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-recover-dead-hard-drive-data/

HDD is a 1TB WD Caviar, about 2 years old.

SolMiester
21-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Could be your a/v program is scanning the files as you browse..perhaps boot to safe mode or use a linux live disc to boot up on.

21-03-2013, 04:18 PM
the freezer method hardly ever works, try that LAST.

A few thoughts..
These last few files may be on an unreadable section of the HD
Try giving the HD a 'rest' & try again tomorrow
try copying the files off 1 at a time
have a fan blowing air across the HD, to try & keep it cool.
Try & image the whole hard drive (really clutching at straws now)

Try Linux, its alot less fussy about dodgy HD's than Win is. Its also a bit painfull if youve never used Linux before. You'll need a bootable Lin based backup/recovery CD
Paragon backup & recovery can do a simple file copy, a free download for bootable CD's (dont use it for disk images or HD cloning)
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Is this HD a USB HD?? if so try removing from case & connect via sata cables

Good luck.

ChazTheGeek
21-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Have you done a disk check? My portable HDD got very very slow and started to freeze. Once I did a disk check, it was fixed.
But your problem sounds much worse than the one I had.
I would also recommend the making a disk image.

Vicx
21-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Could be your a/v program is scanning the files as you browse..perhaps boot to safe mode or use a linux live disc to boot up on.

good idea, I tried disabling my A/V software but it still froze in the middle of copying a 40mb file :( tried again after shutting down for an hour but same story.

the freezer method hardly ever works, try that LAST.

A few thoughts..
These last few files may be on an unreadable section of the HD
Try giving the HD a 'rest' & try again tomorrow
try copying the files off 1 at a time
have a fan blowing air across the HD, to try & keep it cool.
Try & image the whole hard drive (really clutching at straws now)

Try Linux, its alot less fussy about dodgy HD's than Win is. Its also a bit painfull if youve never used Linux before. You'll need a bootable Lin based backup/recovery CD
Paragon backup & recovery can do a simple file copy, a free download for bootable CD's (dont use it for disk images or HD cloning)
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Is this HD a USB HD?? if so try removing from case & connect via sata cables

Good luck.

I'll try again first thing tomorrow morning, maybe it's freezing so frequently now because I keep trying straight after restarting (probably had about 20-30 restarts today).
I just want to grab maybe 30-40gb and the rest I don't mind losing, so I don't really want to image a 1TB drive just for a few files.
It's not a USB HDD, it's plugged in as a secondary HDD through SATA, it's only being used as storage.

Have you done a disk check? My portable HDD got very very slow and started to freeze. Once I did a disk check, it was fixed.
But your problem sounds much worse than the one I had.
I would also recommend the making a disk image.

how do I do a disk check? is it capable of fixing a drive that freezes constantly when copying/reading random files?

Trev
21-03-2013, 05:43 PM
What version of Windows are you using ?
:)

wainuitech
21-03-2013, 05:47 PM
As its been mentioned, don't try the freeze option except as a last resort. It often fails as well. You generally ONE shot at it, once the drive warms back up its generally had its lot. There has been a few times it works, but then again it can really bugger it completely. Sometimes it works, one I did ages ago the Mrs thought I was nuts - put the drive in the freezer overnight, then took it out, wrapped it in frozen mixed vegies packets, kept it going long enough to get about a third of the data, then died completely.

The Live Linux CD is the safer bet.

As for chkdsk -- once again, take your chances, it can make it worse if the drive is failing.

Chances are its got failing sectors or internal hardware.

Vicx
21-03-2013, 06:11 PM
WinXP SP3.

the freeze option is definitely my last resort but I'll go there if I have to. I'll try the linux CD if I can't copy anything tomorrow, but I've got no experience with linux so I don't know how that'll go.

wainuitech
21-03-2013, 06:25 PM
The linux CD is not that hard, you just have to remember its not Windows, so you'll see the full folder structure ( generally).

What you do is boot from the linux CD with the damaged drive attached, then on the desktop you should see the two drives, your good windows drive and the damaged one, ( if not click on "places" at the top of the screen - this is for ubuntu - or Double click on Computer then double click the Slaved drive) simply navigate to files you want - right click one or how many you want - copy, then double click the good Windows drive and navigate to the folder you want to put them in, lets say the main C drive ( forget any sub folders at the moment) then right click paste. Note: the Main C drive will may show as File System.

All going well they will copy over.

wainuitech
21-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Timer ran out :( attached is a screen shot of Linux Mint with a 320GB Drive slaved so you can see what it will look like.

ChazTheGeek
21-03-2013, 06:40 PM
how do I do a disk check? is it capable of fixing a drive that freezes constantly when copying/reading random files?
Right click on your drive>Properties>Tools>Disk Check

or

Go to Command Prompt

and type: chkdsk

This may not help the drive
as wainui said...take your chances.

Vicx
21-03-2013, 07:56 PM
ok I have no idea what's going on now. Soon after my last post I thought I'd give it one more shot with roadkill and I've been able to copy about 20gb since, including all the files that kept causing the crashes this afternoon! I couldn't even copy a 48mb file and now I've got 20gb! I thought, is it roadkill that's somehow got things working or is it the HDD? so I just tried to copy the same files again by copy/pasting and sure enough they copy within seconds as opposed to 5 mins before (if at all). It's as if my HDD was just having a temporary mood swing today and now it's settled down, it's more unpredictable than my ex :waughh:

22-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Copy & paste is the worst way to do a data recovery.
Better to use some sort of file manger like Total Commander or a util like terracopy or (unstopable copier?): at least they will give the option to retry on unreadable files
Data recovery programs may not be the best option here (not yet) as they often add a big delay in the process, you may be successful if youre just persistent & fast.

You dont want to muck about when its actually partially working, get the data off ASAP, you may only get 1 shot at it, so plan what you want , prioritize & think about what program/util you will use BEFORE the next attempt.

Sounds like the HD is dying, just see it as good luck your are getting anything off it.
HD's can do this sort of thing , work for a while then stop for a while, then work for a while. More often they just die.Full stop.

usual postcript: blah blah do backups blah blah have data on at least 2 devices
Im sure youre now fully aware of this :)

Vicx
22-03-2013, 01:40 PM
yea I used roadkill unstoppable copier which worked sometimes but still caused a lot of freezes, either files would copy perfectly with 0 read errors or it would freeze, nothing in between. After trying all day it suddenly fixed itself and it's still working fine today, I don't know how a HDD can suddenly fix itself especially after crashing 30 times in a day, but it seems to be fine now for some reason.

ChazTheGeek
22-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Make the most of it.

Vicx
26-03-2013, 01:13 PM
I ran a chkdsk on the NTFS partition of the drive, doesn't work on the FAT32 partition, here's the result:

G:\>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is 1TB NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "")
from file record segment 32535.
File verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

The good news is it doesn't crash anymore but instead it's now excruciatingly slow copying files over at 300-450kb/s and I've got about 30gb to go. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've been at it for days, I almost want to just throw it out.

Vicx
26-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Won't let me edit the last message. On WD's diagnostic program I tried an extended test but got "too many bad sectors detected" after 4 mins.

SolMiester
26-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Testing the drive is the last thing you want to be doing!!!...get the data off period, you already know the HDD is shot!

wainuitech
26-03-2013, 01:57 PM
If its copying the data across, dont be in such a hurry, as next time it may spit the dummy completely. The drive appears to be shot, so anything you can get is a bonus.

I remember one data recovery I did a few years back, took 4 days to recover around 15GB, ( thats running overnight as well, just set it going and left it) slow but I got most of the data.

Vicx
26-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I was hoping there was some other solution. I'm still copying data off it now but it's painfully slow, 360kb/s max, I wish I finished it when it fixed itself a few days ago.

wainuitech
26-03-2013, 06:41 PM
When a Drive fails or is failing trying to rush it and being impatient only causes more problems.

See it all the time, people think techs have a magic code that can fix PC's in a matter of minutes, many don't realise that the years of data people collect cant be gotten back in a few key strokes, and when a HDD fails all of a sudden its the fault of person who is attempting to get back THEIR data, often isn't backed up either.

Had a guy once that insisted I fix a badly virus infected pc within 10 -15 minutes -- I said yep no problem, I can get rid of the Infections in less than that - Simply boot from a partitioning CD, and wipe the drive in a couple of clicks -- The drive would be clean and no infections BUT the downside is you wont have a Operating system, all programs and data will be gone. :p

He didn't see the funny side of it - Wonder why ? ;)

Vicx
26-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Ok I'll just keep at it til it's done. I was only thinking there may be another solution because it went from barely being able to copy a few mb without crashing to suddenly copying 10-15gb the same day and I never did anything differently. I was hoping there'd be some way to get it back to that state since it did it itself somehow. I'll put up with 400kb/s, at least it's stable now. Feels like the jetstream days..

wainuitech
26-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Sometimes as silly as it may sound its almost as if they start to go good again moments before they finally turn turtle and die.

Been more than once after managing to get data from a failing drive, the next time you try its dead - so the last attempt was its death run so to speak. Better to be able to get data off slowly than not at all.

Just let it run. :)

Vicx
29-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Ok I've finally finished backing everything up, now what should I actually do with the HDD?

wainuitech
29-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Ok I've finally finished backing everything up, now what should I actually do with the HDD?

See last line of My Signature :D

Seriously though, if the drive has failings sectors or other failing components, its not worth trying to fix, it could never be trusted.