PDA

View Full Version : Need to convert a 4MB PDF to Word, but..............

Billy T
21-03-2013, 02:42 PM
My free converter won't look at files that big, and others I have tried have fail to complete for various reasons, mostly not described.

The document is a 37 page technical report with various illustrations and graphs etc that I wish to use to reinforce an opinion I am preparing for a client, but the PDF has two critical typo's in the "one page summary", and if I leave these as is, or comment them out, it will detract significantly from the credibility of the example report itself, and from my opinion, which will rely on some of the data provided.

Is there any free PDF to Word converter that can handle a document that size, or alternatively, does any member have the 'real deal' software that can handle this file? If so, please PM me with your email address and I'll send it down the line. I prefer *.doc format, but can open and edit *.docx.

Thanks in advance

Optimistically yours.....

Billy 8-{) :help:

pcuser42
21-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Word 2013?

wainuitech
21-03-2013, 03:09 PM
You can try http://www.pdftoword.com/ BUT ( theres always a but) the converted size may be way to big to email.

I have the full program here - just did a 4.2MB File PDF to word, Take a look at the converted size :horrified

Original and converted:

The other option is if it wont convert since it to big you can try downloading the trial of the PDF Editor, it may allow you to edit the PDF or convert without limitations. You can edit a PDF in the full version, see examples below ( sorry for my sense of Humor in the edited version :) )

Original 4872 Edited 4871

wainuitech
21-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Just found something that may be of help as well ( or not) Neowin had a link to http://www.debenu.com/products/desktop/debenu-pdf-tools/free/ Still active. Download link is under the the Facebook Like ( no need to like) :2cents:

SolMiester
21-03-2013, 03:58 PM
I could convert and resend it to you if you like.............I have OCR server

Billy T
21-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, nothing I tried was able to handle the graphics and images during conversion to Word, so I downloaded the Nitro trial and that couldn't handle them either. However, using Nitro I was able to edit out the errors while in PDF format, so it was a good result in the end.

I learned something else today as well. A few PDFs weare locked in some way (these were US Technical and Government type documents) so I couldn't download the files, but they could be printed. So, I printed to PDF via Bullzip and made copies that way. It was one of those that I just edited!

Of course it could have just been a lack of knowledge on my part, but I spent a lot of time on them without success, so a work-around is a work-around, even if I was just working around my own limitations! :)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

27th wedding anniversary tomorrow.....doesn't seem that long really, though I kid Mrs T that it feels much longer! :devil

wainuitech
22-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Well, nothing I tried was able to handle the graphics and images during conversion to Word, so I downloaded the Nitro trial and that couldn't handle them either. However, using Nitro I was able to edit out the errors while in PDF format, so it was a good result in the end.

I learned something else today as well. A few PDFs weare locked in some way (these were US Technical and Government type documents) so I couldn't download the files, but they could be printed. So, I printed to PDF via Bullzip and made copies that way. It was one of those that I just edited!

Of course it could have just been a lack of knowledge on my part, but I spent a lot of time on them without success, so a work-around is a work-around, even if I was just working around my own limitations! :)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

27th wedding anniversary tomorrow.....doesn't seem that long really, though I kid Mrs T that it feels much longer! :devil Good you got the final outcome you were after.

Congratulations on 27 Years :clap

We say that sometimes as well, that it feels longer - normally greeted by some smart comment in return ;) All good though and in fun :)

Billy T
22-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Postscript :(

While Nitro provided the immediate solution that I needed, and the end result is suitable for my intended purpose, it has now been uninstalled.

The conversion itself was not 100% effective, because some text formatting (including character spacing) was affected and deleting/retyping did not correct the errors. Those are shortcomings I could live with though, but what did annoy me was that it took over all PDF services without asking (or even indicating that there was an option) and in addition, all Adobe icons on my desktop (for direct access to commonly used PDF files) were changed to Nitro.

I am very cautious about installing trial programs, and I certainly did not appreciate having my PDF options hijacked! I have indicated that to Nitro in my uninstal comments. It may be that these effects only happen in the evaluation phase, but if so, in my opinion it is a major marketing/PR disaster because it can kill trial-users' interest stone dead.

It sure killed mine.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :annoyed:

wainuitech
22-03-2013, 10:30 AM
99% of all programs that handle certain files change the current setup to what ever is being installed.

If you had a PDF reader installed previously, then installed Adobe, Adobe would take over the functions and set its self as default, so its not just Nitro.

Its the same with Zipping programs Install what ever program and all of a sudden all the zipped files are not changed to what ever the program was installed.Install a media player and all of a sudden all media wants to play by the new installed player.

If you want to have adobe as a PDF reader then simply change the default program back to adobe.

Some PDF files when converted are a total mess due to restrictions or formatting. I had a job a couple of weeks ago, the guy gave me 3 PDF files that he wanted to convert to Word. While they converted the layout went totally nuts, it was because of the way the original was produced / formatted, the watermark wasn't put in correctly originally, and check boxes were not done as they should have been - thats listing only a few problems.

In the end I had to completely rewrite the 3 documents /order / Quote forms as no commonly used Office program could read them correctly, I tried MS office 2007 & 2010 & 13, Open Office, Libre Office even tried Kingsoft, and Lotus Symphony NOTHING would work.

Sounds a little like its something to do with the original PDF files, to quote yourself:

nothing I tried was able to handle the graphics and images during conversion to Word

I learned something else today as well. A few PDFs weare locked in some way (these were US Technical and Government type documents)