PDA

View Full Version : Which Graphics card?

PeteDelete
20-03-2013, 04:42 PM
My XP workcomputer's old card (a lowly RX800) has died and I need to quickly temporarily replace it with perhaps an entry level card.

I used it instead of the integrated NVIDIA GeForce 7025 on my AsRock N68-S UCC mobo.

Apart from the usual work (word processing, spreadsheets etc.) I do a lot of graphic work and related browsing as well as some light video stuff.
Don't play any games on this one except perhaps the odd oldie.

It needs to be a workhorse that can easily handle heavy browsing with sometimes up to 4 windows open, each with a few dozen tabs, some of which displaying tons of pictures, many hi-res.
It doesn't have to support more than 2 displays.
Windows XP compatability is a must and preferably also Windows 7.

It may need 1GB DDR3 memory and preferably has DVI, HDMI and sub connectors.

I've been looking at HD 5450 cards, which have an attractive pricetag and read some reviews.
They seem to be highly useful as HTPC cards (which is currently no requirement for me) and aren't good gaming cards (which I don't mind), but are they powerful enough for the tasks I mentioned?
It doesn't have to be AMD though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2013, 04:59 PM
How much ram is on the computer??

PeteDelete
20-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Sorry, I forgot. 2GB

dugimodo
20-03-2013, 07:35 PM
What you describe doesn't actually sound that taxing on a video card, even most onboard solutions today would have a chance at handling that. The 5450 would probably be fine.
But then I would never have that many tabs open at once so maybe it's harder than I think (although I can't think why, it's no more pixels no matter how many tabs you open, more likely it loads the system than the graphics card). That and I always have grunty gaming cards. The only problem I've had with older onboard solutions outside of gaming is the use of system RAM and the slow screen refreshes.

gary67
20-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm using a 5450 but have gone back to the original drivers as the latest ones are unstable, apart from that its a great card silent (no fan) and I only have it so I can run dual monitors

inphinity
20-03-2013, 09:13 PM
None of what you've listed is even remotely taxing on a GPU, though you haven't really specified what sort of video work you're talking about. That aside, anything from the past 4 or 5 years should be fine. You can probably get a GeForce GT210 or something for like $50.

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah the 5450 is overkill. Even the 8MB OnBoard Shared from my wife's laptop that's 5 years old is way more than ample.

Stick with onboard, you'll be surprised ;-)

PeteDelete
23-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks all.