PDA

View Full Version : Zip Files Password Protection

learning
20-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I have decided to store some of my files on Microsofts SkyDrive just in case my house burns down and my Extrnal hdd is toastie.

Now I am never comfortable putting my info out there in the "Cloud" but i will store some data out there nevertheless.

I want to add an additional layer of securirty to the files in my skydrive so if my SkyDrive was hacked then at least theres an additional layer of protection.

Is there any good software out there that will allow me to zip several files into one and the password protect it ?
I know ages ago i used WinZip and its password feature but i dont know if any new ones are out there these days with better password protection.

I know it might be pretty simple for pro hackers to crack such software based passwords but I am just going for whats the best out there currently on market.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Use 7zip if you want something free. Just highlight the files you want to zip right mouse then compress them. Or use truecrypt, just dont forget the password!

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm with Speedy on TrueCrypt, if you must. Zip passwords are too easy to crack.

Alternatively, use Mega.

Agent_24
20-03-2013, 11:03 PM
WinZIP's old-style encryption is easy to crack.
The newer AES one is much better.

Whatever you use, make sure you have a good password.

kingdragonfly
21-03-2013, 07:45 AM
+1 Truecrypt. +1 Mega.

While "classic" zip password are easy to crack, "Zip 3.0" is not. The problem with "classic" zip password protection is it's very well known; Crackers can quickly eliminate 99.6% of combinations by just testing the first byte. The technique is called "early check" or "early crack".

Zip 3.0 are completely different beast. With a complex and long *non-dictionary* password, it's almost unbreakable, except for government spies.

RAR encryption is proprietary, and not well-known. While that's good now, it does mean it's not as well-tested as TrueCrypt & Zip 3.0.

And as Agent_24 mentioned, use a good password.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/antivirusantispyware/tp/5-steps-to-a-strong-password.htm

nedkelly
21-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I stuck something on the cloud and it was in an encrypted Truecrypt container and then the rar file was encrypted with a different password again.
Each password was alphanumeric and mixed case over 20 characters.

nmercer
21-03-2013, 11:30 AM
BitLocker or Truecrypt your on-premises external HDD and PC too, because someone could break into your house and steal that too

dugimodo
21-03-2013, 03:04 PM
What is it you lot have that needs such effort to hide? I might be slightly embarrassed by some of my personal info getting hacked but that's about it.
No state secrets anywhere on my computers.

Agent_24
21-03-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't know but even if your documents etc aren't embarrassing, remember that scammers, identity thieves and other nefarious crooks are out there looking for suckers all the time. Best to give them as little chance of winning as possible.