PDA

View Full Version : Question from the neighbours - adding cat5/wifi during their house reno

8ftmetalhaed
20-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Carol next door is shifting into her sleepout/granny flat, and her son's family are rennovating and shifting into her house.
They're considering installing some sort of setup so they can all get hooked up to the web. As far as I'm aware, they all use wireless, and carol would prefer to use wireless herself.

I figured they could install some cat5 cables around the place, a router near the main phone point or whatever and throw either a wired access point or a wireless bridge in for carol.

What do you guys think would be the easiest way to go about it?
It's i think a 3 bedroom house, about the same size as mine, and I can get 1-2 bars reception in the lounge from my orcon router at the other end of the house, if that's any help as an approximation of distance. probably not, heh.

Oh and also Chill, what are your suggested routers for the job? She's currently running a 4 port wireless switch or router (can't remember) bridged into a single port adsl modem provided by telecom that I set up yonks ago, but they'll have kids and I doubt that kit could handle much more than being breathed at too heavily from them.

20-03-2013, 02:20 PM
The best option is allways cable. If you can run cable into the granny flat,then can put a wifi access point inside the Granny flat that connects to the main router via cable..

How far away from the main house is the granny flat ?? Is it a completely separate building or a small flat under the main house?
Any cordless phones being used? Does the granny flat have a separate phone line in ?

wainuitech
20-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Agree with 1101 :thumbs: if you are doing renovations, then run wires through the walls or under the floor. Its a lot easier, simple to do and doesn't cost much and then you have them as options.

Thats what we have here, theres cat5 going to every room under the house, with the exception of the Loo and bathroom.

The wireless in my office is rather low from the lounge, between 1-2 bars - So ran (another) cable under the floor with a jack point near the floor, going to the switch thats near by (didn't want to see cables around the floor/wall) and connected a wireless access point, now at 100% full connection.

8ftmetalhaed
20-03-2013, 08:19 PM
the granny flat is separate from the main house.
How would one go about cabling it all up, mind? And what sort of equipment?

The only way I could think of doing it is having each room cabled leading to a jackpoint in a cupboard, with a router/switch in the cupboard connected to the main phoneline. Though that would leave a lot of points in the cupboard unless you were nifty at putting together a patchpanel.

Would that be about right, though?

gary67
20-03-2013, 08:36 PM
the granny flat is separate from the main house.
How would one go about cabling it all up, mind? And what sort of equipment?

The only way I could think of doing it is having each room cabled leading to a jackpoint in a cupboard, with a router/switch in the cupboard connected to the main phoneline. Though that would leave a lot of points in the cupboard unless you were nifty at putting together a patchpanel.

Would that be about right, though?

I ran cables to one cupboard in the house, each room had a jackpoint on the wall, but the ends in the cupboard I just left the plugs on so they could be plugged straight into the router or a switch. I used one of the kitchen cupboards drilled through the base and the floor and fitted a cable tidy (round thing you find in a desk)

wainuitech
20-03-2013, 08:58 PM
The Granny Flat -- If you can dig a trench from the house to the Flat, you can lay some electrical Conduct underground and run a couple of cables from the house to outside- I say couple since you have a spare for future usage - the conduct I have has 3 cat5 and two phone lines from the house to workshop.

Inside- if you have a cupboard then sure why not. you would need to put in a power point, phone jack - then run cables to the cupboard. when done with a bit of thought you can make it very tidy, don't need a patch panel. I don't have one yet run ( takes off shoes to count) 21 different connections, ( PC's Network printers, Servers etc) and theres room to expand more points off the switches if I wanted. Not all are being used but they are there. EDITED: 18 have devices connected.

Example 1 ADSL Modem/Router = 4 connections, off of each cable you can put a switch if you wanted expanding out more connections from that switch.
Example 2. My setup, 1 cable from the router in office to the lounge - from that one cable there is a 5 port switch, off that switch the following connections are: SWMBO's/PC --- Media Centre -- Wireless Access point --- Semi Temp Computer = 5 ports used ( 1 is the in port)

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Only thing I would use is the Draytek DV120 + TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle. Info in my blog :-)

Can't recommend some good cabling enough though, it's well worth it, especially with Fiber just around the corner!

dbs
21-03-2013, 09:16 PM
+1 on TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle.

works a treat