PDA

View Full Version : Not too sure what the problem is actually...

skeptile2
19-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi guys! Long time no see.
Anyway, I was fiddling with my computer the other day, and I had just received a gift from a friend of - check my signature - a second hand PC. My previous PC had only 2 RAM slots and a slightly worse processor, so I decided to switch around some stuff. The result was a Mobo with 4 RAM slots, (DDR2) instead of 2, and a slightly more powerful CPU. Also I had a few more fans because the new case was a quite high quality Cooler Master. So to the problem.
Because I now had 4 RAM slots, I filled them with Ram, which was a dual channel of 1GB sticks, and then a 2GB and another 1GB stick on the end. The problem is, occasionally whenever I do something particularly strenuous the whole computer freezes, the caps lock key doesn't work (makes me think it's not just the graphics dying), the fans are still going. So I thought, must be some dodgy RAM. Took out all but the 2GB stick (I really wanted this one to work - for obvious reasons) and my computer no longer freezes. I then individually memtested each stick, and they all came out clean. But when I put them all back in, lo and behold, the computer freezes again.

By anything strenuous I mean playing a game like LoL, any MMORPG, CS:S, anything really, starting skype, steam, origin, and that ubisoft thing all at once seems to push it over the edge.

Any diagnosis?
Thanks,
Skeptile

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Try each stick of ram in each slot. See if it freezes. One of the slots maybe dodgy. Whats the model of the mobo??

skeptile2
19-03-2013, 09:50 PM
OK so the model of the Mobo is: HP (as in, Hewlett Paccard) MCP61PM-HM
here is the site for stuff like drivers: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00906137

I am unable to do the testing this week, so the weekend will have to do unfortunately. But also, if it is one of the sticks, why would memtest not pick up on the faults?

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2013, 09:59 PM
It may not be a stick it maybe the slot it goes in. What version of windows is it?? Is it 32 or 64 bit? So how much ram is in it now?? 2 GB? Since it uses a Nvidia chipset it doesnt have Nvidia firewall on it does it??

What version of the BIOS is on it now?

pcuser42
19-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Never seen a PC with 5GB RAM before...

dugimodo
20-03-2013, 07:01 AM
It can also be sometimes that RAM will not work well with other types/ sizes of RAM. Individually the RAM chips can be fine but together they can have issues. That's why dual channel RAM is sold in sets even though theoretically any two chips with the same specs should work. I've seen it matter what slots you put what RAM in also as Speedy mentions. You could try manually setting the RAM speed to the speed of whatever is the slowest RAM you have is.

Also try the 2Gb stick without the 1Gb one in the matching slot - forcing it to single channel mode in case it's trying to dual channel with the smaller stick. Unless you have a 64 bit version of windows there is no point exceeding 4Gb of RAM anyway, it's limited to around 3.2-3.5 max under 32 bit.

skeptile2
20-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Ok so I'm running 32 bit vista, however I'm going to try to use my dad's old copy of 64 bit 7. The problem with the bios is that it's locked so that you cant overclock or anything - v5.22. I'm trying to flash a custom BIOS - 5.27 - to it, but It didn't work first time so I'll try it again soon. Ok so to find if it's a slot, should I try the 2GB stick in all 4 slots?

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Yup try the 2 gb in all slots. Is this what you tried? (http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-HP-MCP61PM-HM-Nettle2-Motherboard-Unlocked-Stable-for-Overclocking). You have to be careful, because there's 4 versions of this mobo I think. Nettle, 1 2, and 3. The BIOS'es on all 4 may or may not be compatible

dugimodo
20-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Another thought, some boards from the likes of HP/Dell etc can be very finicky about the RAM they will work with. You either have to cross your fingers, try it and see, or choose from their officially supported RAM list if you can find it.

skeptile2
23-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi again. Speedy, yes that is what I tried, however I didn't try very hard. I got to the screen which looked a lot like cmd prompt, with something like C:/> and could't get past there, not being very experienced with DOS. But that is not what this thread is about. However, do you think that the nettle version would make a difference? It would be logical to think that they would all use the same BIOS but I may be wrong (you almost definitely have more experience than me on stuff like this). So for now, I will drop that, and probably tonight I will get around to the 2GB in the slots. Also, I think that the different nettle types are tethered to different mobo model numbers, and that my mobo is a nettle 2, but I may be wrong.

In reply to the types of RAM I have working with HP mobo's, dugimodo, The friends computer which I got recently was seemingly custom built, and by that I mean he ordered it off a site like PB Tech or something which build them using stock parts, instead of coming out of a factory. So I would've thought the RAM from that was made for all mobos, however the mobo only had 2 RAM slots, so I would have a maximum of 3GB. obviously 4 slots is better, and the mobo's were virtually identical other than that. They even had the same CPU slot. So if it is the branding which is stopping the RAM working, then it will almost definitely be the Compaq mobo. But I find it unlikely because the 2GB stick was from the other computer, off of the other mobo, so if it was restricted then I would have thought that wouldn't work.

Thanks so far

Iantech
25-03-2013, 12:09 PM
You're not trying to run single and double sided ram together are you? Many systems don't like that and cause all sorts of faults. Also as your OS is only 32bit, any more than 4Gb ram is a waste anyway so don't even bother putting more than 4 in it. Either go for 2x2Gb or 4x1Gb. Also don't try running mixed mode ram ie: 1 stick of DDR 800 and 3 sticks of DDR667 for example. HP mummyboards can be a pain for memory upgrades.

25-03-2013, 12:28 PM
???

It doesnt matter where the RAM came from, or what brand the RAM is, or doesnt matter if the RAM worked in another PC.
Some motherboards can be a bit fussy about the ram you put in it. Some motherboards dont like certain mixtures of RAM (eg double & single sided). Some dont even like RAM with different speed/timing ratings.
Some motherboards will only work with a max of 2G or 4G, stupid yes, but they are out there. Check the Kingston website to see exactly what RAM will
work in you MB.
As someone else mentioned, sometimes a RAM slot can get a bit dodgy as well.

dugimodo
25-03-2013, 02:01 PM
And every now and then you find a system with 4 totally mismatched Ram chips working just fine, it's a bit random.

The best thing is to use matched sets of RAM from the motherboard manufacturers list of compatible types, failing that you just have to try it and see. Even on my previous gaming machine I bought corsair DDR3-1600 1.5v dual channel RAM that should have worked but didn't and replaced it with gskill ripjaws at the same rating which did. ( might have just been faulty though)

skeptile2
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
ok so for

skeptile2
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
ok so I finally got round to testing the ram, (many other things were happening so no spare time) and it seems as though I have somehow managed to ruin the 2gb stick aswell. through testing every possible configuration of ram, somewhere along the line the stick died. so now I have no ram. at the start of testing, it worked om every slot without fault. at the end of testing, it works in no slots.

skeptile2
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
ok so after a lot of experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that it is actually the hard drive, or something on it. I know this because I am able to install vista on a spare hdd, and have no problems running it. I stick in the vista install disk, and go repair, however it can't find any problems on the drive. I am able to get into cmd so if there's any thing I could use that for it would be great.
my question is: is there any way to repair this? I would quite like to keep my hdd and not have to do a fresh install but atm it looks likely.

skeptile2
08-04-2013, 09:40 PM
oh btw, the new problem diagnosis is that on the vista load screen(little green bars going across) it freezes after 2 times going across consistently.

09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
??
I one post you say the RAM is faulty, then the next post you say the HD is the cause of the issues??
Save yourself alot of grief. Wipe Windows & reload. The really is no generic fix for Corrupt windows, just a matter of elimination & at the end may you have to reload regardless.

Download a Hard Drive test tool from WesternDigital or Seagate & run it across the 'suspect' hard drive. DO a FULL hard drive test/scan.

It could of course still very easily be a hardware issue giving the issues described in your last post.