PDA

View Full Version : Service Host: Local System guzzling RAM

SanChippy
19-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I have a fair idea of what Service Host is, but, I just had to ask why is it guzzling so much of my RAM, at around 211MB of RAM that seems a bit excessive for background processes doesn't it?

It has 16 items grouped under it in this order:
Windows Managemnt Instrementation
Themes
System Event Broker
Shell Hardware Detection
System Event Notification Service
Task Scheduler
Remote Access Connection Manager
User Profile Service
Server
IP Helper
IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
Group Policy Client
Device Setup Manager
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Application Information

I know what 1/4 to half of the services do, yet they don't seem like they would use that much RAM, and some have obscure names.

I've run Malwarebytes, and done some scans and nothing seems to pop up so it seems to not be a virus/infection of somesort.
I'm running Window 8. If anyone could clarify why they use so much RAM, and what some are, whether or not it would be safe to disable them, and such

Thanks

kingdragonfly
20-03-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm guessing you're using Window's Task Manager to see processes for all users

You're referring to svchost.exe, right?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

SysInternals, now owned by Microsoft, has a freeware util called "Process Explorer"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

It'll show the various DLL's running under svchost.exe.

dugimodo
20-03-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't think it's worth the effort to investigate honestly. Unless you are running with very minimal RAM say < 2Gb depending on the OS or the system is running slow it's not an issue. Also on Vista and later the RAM usage in task manager is very misleading, windows reserves a lot for system processes and doesn't show it as available but it is if required.

SanChippy
20-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm guessing you're using Window's Task Manager to see processes for all users

You're referring to svchost.exe, right?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

SysInternals, now owned by Microsoft, has a freeware util called "Process Explorer"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

It'll show the various DLL's running under svchost.exe.

Yeah I was running Windows Task Manager, thanks fro the tool. Will investigate using it now. :)

SanChippy
20-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't think it's worth the effort to investigate honestly. Unless you are running with very minimal RAM say < 2Gb depending on the OS or the system is running slow it's not an issue. Also on Vista and later the RAM usage in task manager is very misleading, windows reserves a lot for system processes and doesn't show it as available but it is if required.
I see what you mean by that, how it wouldn't matter on better specced PCs, but, I'm a naturally worrying person I guess. Thanks for the input digimodo.