PDA

View Full Version : How much to ship an old drive?

goodiesguy
19-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Well my old Seagate Barracuda 1tb is still under warranty, and I want to return it.(it's defective, and makes ocasional clicking noises which interrupts read/writing)

The segate website return requires I ship it to CHANGI,SINGAPORE.

How much would this cost for me?

Billy T
19-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Did you buy it in NZ?

If so, the return should be the retailer's problem, or at least the NZ importer's, not yours.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

goodiesguy
19-03-2013, 05:28 PM
I bought it second hand on trade me in nov 2011, with seagate warranty valid untill october 2013. I don't know where it was originally bought from.

The Error Guy
19-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Not sure, I know WD were very nice about a defective external 12v PSU. Simply replaced in without asking me to send it back. Then again, that was just a piddly little 12v power supply. There's no NZ distributor to send it back to? Because if you have to ship it NZ shipping is going to be $20+ for international shipping of the size required to send back a properly packaged HDD. If they insist you send it you could try asking them for a direct replacement given that shipping it is ~50 and replacing it (2nd hand) is ~$50... doubt that would work though.

CYaBro
19-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Yea unfortunately shipping to Singapore is your only option in that case as it could have come into the country in any number of importers.
I shipped a couple of WD drives a month or so ago, to Malaysia, and think it cost around $20 for the cheapest option.

Agent_24
19-03-2013, 05:46 PM
You should try to get the original receipt from the person you bought it off and send it back to wherever they got it, but they probably don't have it or they would have given it to you already, and besides the shop may well be one of those horrible ones that try to get out of returns at the best of times.

Likely you'll have to send it to Singapore.

From what I heard, I think it's about $30, assuming you have packed it properly. You could pack it improperly and send it for a lot less but Seagate won't accept it and they'll just send it back if you do that.

Still it's a fair bit less than a brand new drive.

20-03-2013, 08:48 AM
looking on pricespy, a new HD can be had for around $75
Seagate may just send you a re-manufactured drive in return, or a rather noisey drive (worn out bearings, Ive be given one like this as warranty replacement)
A remanufactured/factory repaired HD CANNOT be trusted . Of course they may replace it with a new drive, you just wont know.

So I have top ask, how much is your time & effort worth, to try & save perhaps just $40 ??
Sometimes its honestly better to let it go & move on.
:thumbs:

Question: Do WD & Seagate pay the return shipping cost to NZ ?

goodiesguy
20-03-2013, 09:58 AM
I have a new HDD, but I wan't to get my old one replaced So I can use it as a secondary drive. Both the old and new are 1tb.

Renegade
20-03-2013, 10:32 AM
The few I've returned to Seagate were replaced with refurbished drives, and one of those crapped out. I returned that under warranty as well.

After you punch in the serial/part#, this should come up (if it's under warranty)

For Seagate drives, please contact one of the following authorized distributor(s) in New Zealand , as listed in above Warranty Validation option.
Ingram Micro NZ Ltd
http://www.ingrammicro.co.nz
Phone: 0800 464726

However, when I contacted them they said they no longer did warranty returns, either that or they can't be bothered if it wasn't purchased through them.

CYaBro
20-03-2013, 10:37 AM
The few I've returned to Seagate were replaced with refurbished drives, and one of those crapped out. I returned that under warranty as well.

After you punch in the serial/part#, this should come up (if it's under warranty)

For Seagate drives, please contact one of the following authorized distributor(s) in New Zealand , as listed in above Warranty Validation option.
Ingram Micro NZ Ltd
http://www.ingrammicro.co.nz
Phone: 0800 464726

However, when I contacted them they said they no longer did warranty returns, either that or they can't be bothered if it wasn't purchased through them.

You also need to have an account with them before they will accept returns from you and unless you are an IT / computer retailer / provider you won't get an account with them.

wainuitech
20-03-2013, 12:02 PM
You also need to have an account with them before they will accept returns from you and unless you are an IT / computer retailer / provider you won't get an account with them. Yep, Ingram are wholesalers / distributors only, wont sell to the general public.

If the drive is sent back to Seagate, theres a 99% chance it will be refurbished drive that comes back. The original warranty time still applies, meaning if that craps out and is still within the original warranty time, they will replace it as well, you don't get a new warranty time.

WarNox
20-03-2013, 12:08 PM
I RMA'd one yesterday, warranty expires in June 2013 and I did it through WestconGroup. I don't have the original receipts or anything, just pulled it out of an old PC. Not sure if a replacement will show up or not but at least the shipping is only to Albany :)
www.westcongroup.co.nz

Agent_24
20-03-2013, 12:15 PM
A remanufactured/factory repaired HD CANNOT be trusted

When you really get down to it, neither can a brand new one.
What's your point?

goodiesguy
20-03-2013, 02:04 PM
What's your point?

Yes, and it's only gonna be a secondary drive.

Nomad
20-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Could it be that the person bought the drive in Singapore or the store they bought it from imported it themselves?
When I check the warranty on my Seagate it says ship it to Ingham.

20-03-2013, 02:34 PM
What's your point?

Are you just trolling??

I though my point was rather obvious, recon hard drives just arnt reliable. Far more unreliable than new hard drives. :badpc:
Just yesterday had a customer who had a refurb HD put into their PC, it dies within a few months, they lost everything.
Would you be happy with refurb HD's in your main pc??

my point was, you are better off buying a new HD than putting a refurb into a PC .

I didnt know it going to be just a spare/secondary HD. I still think its not worth the effort given how cheap new HD's are.

CYaBro
20-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Are you just trolling??

I though my point was rather obvious, recon hard drives just arnt reliable. Far more unreliable than new hard drives. :badpc:
Just yesterday had a customer who had a refurb HD put into their PC, it dies within a few months, they lost everything.

my point was, you are better off buying a new HD than putting a refurb into a PC .

I didnt know it going to be just a spare/secondary HD. I still think its not worth the effort given how cheap new HD's are.

I agree.
I can't be 100% sure but I think that every refurb hard drive we've had back from Seagate has failed again within a few months.

Agent_24
20-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Are you just trolling??

OK, I agree a brand new one is less likely to fail in the immediate future. However since all drives can and will fail at any time, for reliability and data integrity purposes the actual working duration is irrelevant. Only for headaches and RMA costs does it make sense.

I don't trust any drive. I trust only in data replication across multiple (different) storage media, and for each individual drive etc no trust is (or should be) assumed. For anything less, all bets are off.

The customer who uses a refurbished drive that fails in a few months and loses all their data is no different to the person who buys a brand new drive that was dropped by a courier and fails a week later, losing all their data.

CYaBro
20-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I RMA'd one yesterday, warranty expires in June 2013 and I did it through WestconGroup. I don't have the original receipts or anything, just pulled it out of an old PC. Not sure if a replacement will show up or not but at least the shipping is only to Albany :)
www.westcongroup.co.nz

They are the same as Ingram Micro, you need to have an account with them before you can do returns. (Well that's what they wanted from us before I could return a faulty Seagate to them)
It takes just as long to get a replacement from either of those distributors anyway as they won't give you a replacement from their stock, they send a batch of faulty ones back to Seagate and wait for the returns which then get sent back to the customers.

WarNox
20-03-2013, 09:20 PM
They didn't ask me for an account and as far as I know we don't have one with them. The drive was shipped this afternoon so we'll see what happens.

goodiesguy
26-03-2013, 09:08 AM
So we're all in agreement? around $20 to 30 bucks?

wainuitech
26-03-2013, 09:27 AM
So we're all in agreement? around $20 to 30 bucks? No One can guarantee a price here. :)

Heres a question, if its more are the people who said $20 -$30 going to help fork out the rest ( great Tuis ad there) Go to the post office or who ever its going to be sent by and see your self, that's the only true way to get an accurate figure.

SolMiester
26-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I thought Benny said Siri Irriot?

Nomad
26-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Go the Post Office, I would say closer to $30 than $20 that's std parcel (air) mail. If it's registered mail, that might be ~$65. From experience when I sent a digital SLR body overseas. For a HD you need protection too. Do you have to pay for return post?

goodiesguy
26-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I thought Benny said Siri Irriot?

Nope, it's definitaley "Stoopid Irriot". Here he is in an early chinaman sketch, where he says it: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1d0mh_benny-hill-chinaman_fun

No One can guarantee a price here.

Heres a question, if its more are the people who said $20 -$30 going to help fork out the rest ( great Tuis ad there) Go to the post office or who ever its going to be sent by and see your self, that's the only true way to get an accurate figure.

I'm not the one paying for the shipping, so just trying to get somewhat an estimation.

Agent_24
26-03-2013, 10:34 AM
For a HD you need protection too. Do you have to pay for return post?

All the information is here: http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/packing-and-shipping-instructions/

Billy T
26-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Jeez, all this hassle over a shipping price?

Go to the NZ Post website and you can get a precise cost, just enter the weight, dimensions and preferreed shipping mode/time frame and you'll get a price.

In fact their site may even exaggerate the cost, because I posted a parcel to Billy Jnr in Dubai today and the Express Courier price at the PO counter was $20 less than the on-line calculator indicated, and I could have printed the postage label out there and then. I'm glad I didn't.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)