PDA

View Full Version : Which Mouse?

tutaenui
18-03-2013, 11:02 PM
After eight years of near constant use my old Dell corded mouse is going into terminal decline and I am looking to replace it.
My requirements are for a full size mouse corded or cordless that is suitable for using left handed. If cordless must have good battery life. It is for general use (no gaming) but should be smooth tracking as I do a lot of photo manipulation. Your experiences and recommendations will be appreciated.

Ninjabear
19-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Not sure if your use to trackballs but I use this for the last 4 years

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2013, 12:07 AM
The MS wireless 800 I use is fine. KB and mouse. . You can always change the left and right through settings if you want. You could get something flash like an apple mouse. But it'll be more expensive. But you may have to get the latest version of bootcamp for the drivers

Chilling_Silence
19-03-2013, 07:57 AM
That's a bummer about the left-handed bit, coz otherwise I'd suggest the Logitech G700. You sure you're not a righty waiting to be discovered? ;)

tutaenui
19-03-2013, 08:34 AM
That's a bummer about the left-handed bit, coz otherwise I'd suggest the Logitech G700. You sure you're not a righty waiting to be discovered? ;)

Actually I am a natural lefty but was forced as a child to change to be righty but it has left me a legacy of having to do some things with the right and others with the left and sometimes I even have to stop and think which hand to use. The button arrangement is not so much a problem but the mouse has to be symmetrical hence I cant use the logitech trackball as suggested as it would require me to use the ball with my little finger.

Richard
19-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I use a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 6000. I like it as it is slightly smaller than most others. Easily converts to lefty use. I cursed the short battery life (Energisers) until I switched to alkaline batteries. The difference is amazing!! Whereas previous life was measured in days, it is now months, so the extra cost of the alkalines is more than justified. The mouse is symmetrical, and well-worth your having a look at one.

The wireless sender/receiver is just a tiny USB plug which needs no battery at all.

Agent_24
19-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I love the cheap corded A4 Tech ones with 5 buttons and 2 scroll wheels.

gary67
19-03-2013, 07:32 PM
I use a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 6000. I like it as it is slightly smaller than most others. Easily converts to lefty use. I cursed the short battery life (Energisers) until I switched to alkaline batteries. The difference is amazing!! Whereas previous life was measured in days, it is now months, so the extra cost of the alkalines is more than justified. The mouse is symmetrical, and well-worth your having a look at one.

The wireless sender/receiver is just a tiny USB plug which needs no battery at all.

I used to use one of these until it died because I have smallish hands now I use a Logitech M325 which is of a similar size and also symmetrical

linw
19-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm happy with a cordless Logitech 310. Had an older MS cordless but it used 2 AA cells and that made it heavy.

The M310 only uses one AA. It is symmetrical. I am right handed but use my mouse left handed as I have a crook right shoulder. I never bothered to change the buttons over, either! The modern cordless mice will all have a sleep mode to save power, greatly extending bty life.

skeptile2
19-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I have an ambidextrous Microsoft 5000 wireless mouse - my whole family are right handed except my mum, who's left and she says it works fine, so if ever you have somebody else using the computer it should be fine for them too. We got it in Noel Leeming, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one .

Richard
20-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I used to use one of these until it died because I have smallish hands now I use a Logitech M325 which is of a similar size and also symmetrical

Were you holding it too tight Gary?? I can't quite see how smallish hands caused the mouse to die!

tutaenui
21-03-2013, 09:05 AM
I would like to thank everyone who came up with suggestions. In the end I settled on a Logitech couch mouse M515 mainly on the basis if it didn't suit I could pass it on to the wife to use with her laptop. However I have found it suitable and physically comfortable. When I first tried it the cursor moved like a demented recently sprayed fly. I down loaded the Logitech software and managed to alter the settings to get the cursor movement under control. Sadly I can't get my computer to remember the setting so I have to reset it every time I turn the computer on, a minor inconvenience which I can put up with.

Lawrence
21-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Did you click "Apply" when changing the Cursor parameters

The M515 looks like it can be used with either hand,I have the M705 and would not change from this

BBCmicro
21-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Were you holding it too tight Gary?? ...

That can do it. One of our children was leading a mouse around the living room with a length of wool - Mrs Micro tripped over it and the mouse died of fright

wratterus
21-03-2013, 12:46 PM
I would like to thank everyone who came up with suggestions. In the end I settled on a Logitech couch mouse M515 mainly on the basis if it didn't suit I could pass it on to the wife to use with her laptop. However I have found it suitable and physically comfortable. When I first tried it the cursor moved like a demented recently sprayed fly. I down loaded the Logitech software and managed to alter the settings to get the cursor movement under control. Sadly I can't get my computer to remember the setting so I have to reset it every time I turn the computer on, a minor inconvenience which I can put up with.

Go into control panel, and mouse settings. Adjust the pointer speed down.

dugimodo
21-03-2013, 03:13 PM
For those using cordless mice I recommend the low self discharge NiMH rechargables such as enerloop etc. They outlast both alkaline and coventional NiMH batteries by quite a bit in my experience. Especially if you are like me and never remember to turn it off.