PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router specs for a rural area with broadband

Digby
18-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi guys

I have to supply and install a wireless router for a small business in a rural area.

They have broadband and want a router with a wireless aerial.

What are the specs and latest modem standards that I should look for ?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Most reliable would be a Draytek DV120 with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (As mentioned in my blog, in my sig) running Gargoyle.

If they're just after an all-in-one device, the Asus DSL-N12U is a good starting place,though I've begun finding limitations with it around VoIP and a few other things lately.... So the only one I'm personally totally happy to suggest is the DV120 + Gargoyle router combo.

inphinity
18-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Depends what their priorities are, too. If you want maximum wifi coverage & speed, 802.11ac is where to look atm - and sorry Chill, none of those products cut the mustard if you're stepping up from N :P

That said, if your devices don't support it, then not a lot of point.. and at that stage we're back to Chills idea ;)

dugimodo
18-03-2013, 04:00 PM
It might be worth adding a high gain external aerial to whatever router you get if coverage is an issue. Try it without first though.

wratterus
18-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Don't go AC yet - it's pointless at this stage, they may (probably not but it's possible) change the standard yet, and the devices will only get cheaper. Take Chill's recommendation.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah I've seen several .ac routers, no client devices out there aside from the Galaxy S4. There's going to be a crossover period for sure, but as it stands I know that what I'm recommending is "reliable", not bleeding-edge.

Digby
18-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The issue is more for a reliable router able to handle a rural landline connection.

The wireless may just be used in the same room (or maybe a house across the way say 50 yards)

inphinity
18-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah I've seen several .ac routers, no client devices out there aside from the Galaxy S4. There's going to be a crossover period for sure, but as it stands I know that what I'm recommending is "reliable", not bleeding-edge.

Come now, it's far from the only .ac device available, and there's a variety of USB/PCIe adapters available ;)

But yes, if you want solid & reliable above raw performance, your suggestions are great.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah there's also the HTC One.... But yeah for most people it's honestly not worth mentioning, people are still getting used to N-Wireless, and while the future-proofing is nice, I'd rather stick with something tried and trusted when it comes to this sorta thing ;)