PDA

View Full Version : Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Available

zqwerty
14-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Just found this, seems legitimate.

Info here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/03/12/slow-boot-slow-login-sbsl-hotfix-rollup-for-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-available-today.aspx

and here:

A hidden Patch Tuesday gem: A Windows 7 hotfix rollup

http://www.zdnet.com/a-hidden-patch-tuesday-gem-a-windows-7-hotfix-rollup-7000012555/

For a more detailed description of the changes, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511/en-us

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Just tried it on a netbook it took 10 seconds longer to get into Win7 lol. So, thats the end of that hotfix. It makes login slower than it was before

zqwerty
17-03-2013, 01:03 PM
It's all the HotFixes since SP1 rolled in together, effectively SP2 for Win7.

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Altho it hasnt been tested. Otherwise it would have come through windowsupdate. Its NOT all the hotfixes since SP1. There's been more than the ones in this hotfix. MS need to fix it so it doesnt take so long to get into windows

Like I just rebooted here. From the logo it took 26 secs to show the welcome screen, and nearly another 20 secs for the desktop to appear. That used to happen pre SP1. And now its back again (it takes too long to get into Win7)

zqwerty
17-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Rumours are MS has discontinued Service Packs, will be using fast schedule updates from now on that is why people are excited about this unofficial SP from MS infrastructure.

Enables techs to get a new instal of Win7 fully updated sooner after applying SP1 then adding this accumulation of hotfixs rather than updating off the net.

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2013, 03:20 PM
That maybe the case, but its got the wrong name lol. If your system was slow before you installed this, it'll be twice as slow after you install this.

pablo d
18-03-2013, 10:09 AM
My SSD-based system takes about 30 seconds from powering on to desktop when it's just the SSD plugged in.

When I plug my 7200RPM storage drives in however, it takes over a minute.

Could these hotfixes address that, or do I seem to have an unrelated issue?

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2013, 11:03 AM
The netbook I installed this hotfix on was faster (it takes 33-34 secs to get into Win7 now), and after adding the 2 reg entries to the registry. Since the 2 separate hotfixes are for Win7 x64 (which adds the reg entries) not for 32 bit.

But on this computer, after installing this, and after installing the 2 separate hotfixes, it takes 56 secs (used to be over a min - 1.20 or something) to get into Win7

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2013, 08:56 PM
If booting up takes too long, make sure the hdd is the bootdisk in the BIOS. I just noticed this tonight. The cd was the bootdisk and it took 18 secs from the post screen to the logo. Because, it was waiting for me to press a key for the cd. Thats why it took so long for mine to get into win7. Once, I changed the bootdisk to the hdd, it went from 56 secs to 33-34

You'll know if the cd is the bootdisk. After the post screen you'll see a cursor flashing.. Waiting for you to press a key (it may take 15-28 secs for it to change). If the hdd is the bootdisk it'll go straight from the post screen to the logo / starting windows soon after

nmercer
19-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Just tried it on a netbook it took 10 seconds longer to get into Win7 lol. So, thats the end of that hotfix. It makes login slower than it was before

Speedy can you clarify?

This is a hotfix, if you're not having any of the issues addressed in the hotfix you shouldn't install them. They're not on Windows Update

Its called an enterprise hotfix rollup, its not for use off a domain network etc

It fixes these things

•Improves the Windows Client Remote File System components.

◦Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV)
◦DFSN client
◦Folder Redirection
◦Offline Files and Folders (CSC)
◦SMB client
◦Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem (RDB)
◦Multiple UNC Provider (MUP)

nmercer
19-03-2013, 09:07 AM
That maybe the case, but its got the wrong name lol. If your system was slow before you installed this, it'll be twice as slow after you install this.

that's not normal or expected

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Seems to be OK now. It probably took longer since the cd was the bootdisk in the BIOS. And this added an extra 18 secs to bootup. Because, it took 18 secs (when it was on cd), to go from the post screen to the logo / windows starting screen). Change it to hdd, it went from post screen to logo straight away / after

After I changed the bootdisk to the hdd, it was faster getting into Win7 (33-34 secs instead of 56 secs)

zqwerty
19-03-2013, 12:34 PM
So can we say that the 'Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2' is probably worthwhile or not in the sense that it will diminish set up times for a new installation since once the above is downloaded and installed there will be much less to download from MS Update to get the computer up to date.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2013, 12:39 PM
I probably didnt need it anyway. But I installed it. But if you've got Win7 x86, you'll have to add the 2 reg entries. Since the separate 2 hotfixes are only for x64. And these add the 2 reg entries to the registry

And no, it wont lessen / reduce the amount of updates you have to install AFTER installing Win / SP1.

nmercer
19-03-2013, 04:20 PM
So can we say that the 'Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2' is probably worthwhile or not in the sense that it will diminish set up times for a new installation since once the above is downloaded and installed there will be much less to download from MS Update to get the computer up to date.

As speedy mentioned it won't diminish setup time, what I would do is create a new image with all the post SP1 fixes included

This 90 bundled hot fix package is specifically for business networks that are using group policy, redirect folders, offline cache, WMI etc

CYaBro
19-03-2013, 04:29 PM
As speedy mentioned it won't diminish setup time, what I would do is create a new image with all the post SP1 fixes included

Can you give instructions on how to do this?
I've tried creating an image but I always end up with an image that can only do Home Premium or Professional or Ultimate (Depending on which version I installed and updated and then sysprep'd and captured), I would like an image that can install all versions again but with all the latest updates.