PDA

View Full Version : Question about DVD/CD player Audio

Sanco
13-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi lads and ladettes, I know this is a computer specific site, however I guess if anyone can help me solve a little humdinger to do with DVD-multi players and audio quality reproduction.

I have a system comprising a Denon AVR 590, wharfedale DIA 10.6 and a run of the mill panasonic multiplayer. The system stands up well for movies sound, however my primary use for it is to listen to audio CD's.

My question is: Would the panasonic 'el cheapo' player impact on the quality of the audio reproduction at all, or is this governed mainly by the AVR?

I read various articles on the net and all have a different take on the subject, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a mixed bag here also. However it is important for me to understand whether getting a better 'reader', and if the is the case which reader you suggest, would improve the overall audio experience or whether I would just be wasting money in your view. :help:

Cheers

CYaBro
13-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I think it would depend on how you have the Panasonic player hooked up to the AVR, analogue or digital?
If you are using a digital connection for the audio then I would say it is up to the AVR and it's DAC but if you are using analogue audio output on the Panasonic then you are relying on the DAC in that which probably isn't great.

Sanco
13-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Yes Cyabro, being not the best in hi-fi architecture the dvd only has analogue or composite output. Do you think a machine, regardless of brand and specs, that has HDMI output would fare better? 'Cos in that case I'd get a cheap BluRay multiplayer HDMI thingy and solve the problem.

KarameaDave
13-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Or you could buy a dedicated CD player either new or second hand.

CYaBro
13-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes Cyabro, being not the best in hi-fi architecture the dvd only has analogue or composite output. Do you think a machine, regardless of brand and specs, that has HDMI output would fare better? 'Cos in that case I'd get a cheap BluRay multiplayer HDMI thingy and solve the problem.

From my understanding an HDMI capable output player shouldn't matter what brand it is as it's just sending the digital signal from the CD direct to the amp/receiver which then does the digital to analogue conversion.

dugimodo
13-03-2013, 05:16 PM
HDMI would probably work or personally I'd get a Cheap PC or laptop with SPDIF out, rip your whole CD collection in lossless format, connect it digitally to the AVR, and have your whole collection available in full quality on one player.
I have an old USFF Dell I was given that I use for this purpose, incredibly convenient and very good sound quality (even though I'm actually using analogue in my case - looking for a cheap USB-SPDIF convertor to fix that). Not what you asked I know :)

I've had this discussion or a similar one before, I like to keep my setup to as few components as possible so I always used my DVD player and later my Bluray to play Audio CD's as well rather than have a dedicated player. Many people have tried to tell me that they make poor quality CD players, which is a load of bollox. As long as you connect them digitally all they are doing is reading the data and streaming it to the AVR, the quality then depends entirely on the accuracy of the data stream (almost always 100% even on cheap players unless the disk is damaged or dirty) and the quality of the AVR. It is true however that the analogue outputs of cheap players and many DVD/Blu-ray players is not that great.

Sanco
13-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Thank you dugimodo, appreciate your input. I don't see how a dedicated cd player, as suggested on an earlier post, could make a difference to be honest as an multiplayer these days should cover all bases.

I'll look for a HDMI player. :)

Trev
13-03-2013, 05:59 PM
You probably won't get a cd player with HDMI out but only a DVD or Blu Ray player. I use a Blu- Ray player for playing cds, DVD and Blu Ray disks connected up to my 7.1 surround sound amp by a HDMI cable.
:)

Sanco
13-03-2013, 06:28 PM
You probably won't get a cd player with HDMI out but only a DVD or Blu Ray player. I use a Blu- Ray player for playing cds, DVD and Blu Ray disks connected up to my 7.1 surround sound amp by a HDMI cable.

I think you're right too :) Multiplayer is the way to go I agree.

gary67
13-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I use a stand alone single CD player hooked up to my amp, its all old school no digital inputs at all yet it sounds amazing and a hell of a lot better than most new systems. Its 10 years old, I even have the TV hooked up to it as with my Mission M75's I have yet to find a digital system that can compare

KarameaDave
13-03-2013, 09:34 PM
I use a stand alone single CD player hooked up to my amp, its all old school no digital inputs at all yet it sounds amazing and a hell of a lot better than most new systems. Its 10 years old, I even have the TV hooked up to it as with my Mission M75's I have yet to find a digital system that can compare

Exactly my point but better put.

Trev
13-03-2013, 09:38 PM
And how do you know it sounds better than most new systems. Have you had one in your house to compare. No use saying you heard one in a shop. I use to say that about my old Yamaha amp running Infinity Kappa 6 speakers until I got my which was 20 years old with my Onkyo 7.1 amp running Polk Audio speakers.

gary67
14-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Been in several dedicated music rooms and mine does sound better, to my ears anyway which is all that counts