PDA

View Full Version : Whats best USB or PCI wifi adapter

fuzzee
12-03-2013, 10:29 PM
What are your thoughts on best performance for wifi for pc.
Should I use a usb stick or PCI card for best performance

My son had trouble picking up the wifi signal on his PS3 in the room that the pc will be located.

Will a plain usb stick be fine? Should I get a usb stick with an antenna or PCI card with 1 or 2 or 3 antenna.

I thought a usb stick with an antenna may be prone to damage or falling out due to weight.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm using 2 Belkin wireless N USB adapters, they work fine. 2 bedrooms / 2 adapters, the modem is in the lounge.. I dont think many USB adapters have external aerials (these dont), theyre internal. You cant see them

dugimodo
13-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I have a tp-link usb with an aerial and coverage is very good. It even works in my skyline garage about 15m away where I didn't expect it to ( with the door open though ).

I'd expect a pci one to be the best option, but less convenient as I tend to use mine for an internet connection whenever I'm working on setting up a pc.

MushHead
13-03-2013, 10:42 AM
The advantage of USB is that if you're having signal issues, it's a damn sight easier to move the USB adapter around on the end of a USB extension lead, rather than have the expense of buying some coax. I recall a few years ago, some enterprising Kiwis had built some long-range wireless adapters using a parabolic cooking-related gizmo (something shaped like a wok, but not?) with a USB wireless adapter at the focus. They found it much cheaper (& better for signal attenuation) to use USB adapters plus extension leads to get the dishes outside for inter-suburb wifi, as opposed to antennae on the end of a long coax cable.