PDA

View Full Version : can an ipod touch or iphone affect negatively an internet connexion?

Osmose
12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
It seems when my teen connects her ipod touch or iphone to my internet wirelessly through the modem it makes the internet disconnect. Not sure why? any explanation? My internet is not very good as I explained in another thread and we have a slow speed. Can it be the bandwith she uses when surfing the net makes it disconnect?

Chilling_Silence
12-03-2013, 08:57 PM
My money says you're using a free router provided by your ISP, perhaps a Thomson TG585 router or similar? It quite possibly is, though it's not specifically the fault of the iPhone.

http://www.fixmybroadband.co.nz/disconnecting/

Osmose
12-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Im using a NETGEAR DGN3700v2 it has dual wifi band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz my cordless phone is 1.8 Ghz and thats the only cordless device. We use the laptop on the 5Ghz of the router.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Not a fan of that particular model, though they're usually not too bad in my experiences.

I would suggest getting another router to confirm if it is or isn't the router, that's where my money is.

The Error Guy
13-03-2013, 11:20 AM
If you can, borrow another router just to test to see if it is the router or the iDevice. As chill said, it's most likely the router. Although it is possible for the iPod/Phone to cause a problem theres a 90%+ chance that it's the router.

If course you should try to get a decent one to test, not the same brand/model that's currently suspect of causing a problem :p

Osmose
13-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Well since the HTC 8S she bought has been taken from her and switched off Im not having any more disconnections. I will ask her to turn it back on when she comes back to test further as i dont even know how it works lol I googgle about the issue and it seems the wifi on the 2.4Ghz range in ipods touchs, iphone and androids can interfer with the modem to the point it will disconnect. It is a fairly new model purchase last month but might need a special tweak to make it work with androids. I had another modem previously and the ipod touch would make it disconnect too.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Update its firmware if you havent yet. No point using the modem or it being dual band, if it cuts you off if you use 2.4 devices.

The Error Guy
13-03-2013, 03:26 PM
The fact the phone is android based won't make a spot of difference in this case, since the OS itself won't affect the connection. I'm a little confused about the situation. The opening question was about a specific device (iPod touch or iPhone) that seemed to cause connection problems, now it seems that there is an HTC in the mix too.

Not that it really matters though, in both situations there are two common factors, the daughter and the router. If her iPod/iPhone causes problems AND her HTC I'd suspect that she is doing something on her phones that is causing a problem, although I'm not sure what exactly. Normally I'd suspect torrents/P2P but that's not so much of an issue on a phone (although it is possible)

Since the phones are wireless devices and have to be FCC approved I highly doubt they'd be causing the problem through interference. If it disconnected when one of the most popular wireless freqs (2.4GHz) was being used there'd be a real issue :p As speedy said, check for a firmware update for your router. That will hopefully fix up any little bugs in the system.

Other than a faulty piece of hardware, or some funny goings on with how the daughter uses the connection the only other possibility is your connection quality. You mention your speed is poor which might mean that they way she is using it is causing a problem. Eg if she's watching say a youtube video, she ends up using all the available bandwidth meaning that none of your sites will load. The Internet doesnt actually disconnect, but it might as well have since nothing else can work.

Simple test, just connect the phone to the network. Turn of sync temporarily if you want, but just have it connected but doing nothing, then surf as you would normally. No problem? it's how she's using it. Try getting her to use it as she normally does (youtube, facebook, skype/facetime (if it's an iOS device) etc etc) and see if that causes a problem. If it does, then she's causing the problem, inadvertently most likely.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I think its more the volume of devices being connected to the router, that the router doesn't like.

Osmose
13-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Sorry I'm fairly new to all those new devices so ipod touch iphone or androids all seem same for me. I have a desktop and laptop and a good old cellphone for emergency calls. She bought that thing last saturday and we have experienced very bad internet and multiple disconnections. Even my ISP noticed and was going to send a tech to check wiring etc...Well Im googling about the issue and found more people have had similar issues with their ipod touch iphone and androids apple products. Somethin to do with IOS. Im not sure it is correct to post link to other forums so i didnt. I also found a popular app called wifi kill that makes disconnect other devices of internet and makes router disconnect. I ll have to check that once i get her to open the HTC when she is back which would be any time now. I ll keep you posted if it disconnects again once it is again connected to my wifi or if there is that app in it.

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Iphones and Ipads / Touch use IOS. Its the operating system they use. It may pay to update the firmware on them too. There's probably a lot of changes. If none have of them have been updated yet

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2013, 04:21 PM
If she's just got it, I promise she won't have WiFi Kill. That's used only on rooted phones (Like jailbreaking an iPod) and it's not something the average user knows how to get / do.

Again though, it appears to be a router / load issue.

Osmose
14-03-2013, 12:13 AM
While I thought the android was switched off it was still online as it showed in my router logs. Probably doing updates. When she came back we connected it to the network and it was not disconnecting at the exact time or soon after so I dont think it is the reason. Modem is like 2 months old. I have just put a new filter and switch it off and on to see if there is any improvement. It has a warrenty so might go and change it. The router has only a desktop and laptop the iphone was only 3rd device. Maybe it is the router it is happening with only 2 devices connected to it.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2013, 10:02 AM
While I thought the android was switched off it was still online as it showed in my router logs. Probably doing updates. When she came back we connected it to the network and it was not disconnecting at the exact time or soon after so I dont think it is the reason.
It's probably still showing that it has an active DHCP lease, the router takes time for it to notice that a WiFi device is no longer connected usually.

Modem is like 2 months old.
Doesn't matter, it's still not specifically a "good" router.

I have just put a new filter and switch it off and on to see if there is any improvement.
A new filter will help with line conditions if it's something funky on your line, but my money still says it's the router

It has a warrenty so might go and change it. The router has only a desktop and laptop the iphone was only 3rd device. Maybe it is the router it is happening with only 2 devices connected to it.
I've seen routers fall over with less connected to them, so I can't entirely say I'm surprised. Mind me asking what you paid for it?

Osmose
14-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Chilling I had paid $249. I went this morning and asked for a refund. It is the modem. You were right. Add it to your list of modem router not to get. It is supposed to handle big data video streaming etc...

I set up the free modem of my ISP its not disconnecting but since it is same brand N150 and very short wireless range it will eventually do the same :D I said I dont want the same bad product.

I had also a belkin in the past and had problems from day 1. Still in the box as new if you want it for testing you can have it LOL I found all those people complaining on forums with same issues regarding that Belkin.

So I have no good router / modem at the moment and I'd better get something. Can you recommend something I can use now with my crappy internet (Conklin 7mbps download with 36 people connected) and that I will be able to use it with wireless internet. Im installing a repeater on the hill so will be with NetSmart wireless wimax soon. It might take a month. So can have up to 1 Desktop 4 laptops connected and android also planning to get new TV that can connect net. Thanks.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Funny you should mention that, I can in fact recommend something. In fact, check my sig. The DV120 + the WR1043ND running Gargoyle, best setup you can have, reliable to boot, and it'll easily handle 10x the number of devices you've got! On top of that, this will also work well with your future connection, just unplug the DV120 and plug it into your new connection, well worth the investment, and it'll only set you back around $180+GST

Osmose
14-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Is Draytec DV120 compatible with window 7 and 8 as Im reading spec's and see Client O/S Compatibility
•Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista
•Linux
•MacOS8/9/X

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes, it is.

Osmose
14-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Just bought the Draytec DV120 online at Nicegear. Seems a great product and ordered the WR1043ND from PB both products cheaper combined than the Netgear 3700v2 I had. Look like with gargoyle I will save to be buying the programme called hidetools parental control I was planning to get to control some teens net behaviour. Perfect.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Sounds like you'll be all sorted ! :)

Osmose
21-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Finally I have the Draytec DV120 and the router TP Link WR1043ND. It is version 1.10, is latest gargoyle allright for this version? No bug? Can you let me know better how to set it up? Do i set up first the modem onto my pc without the router to bridge it? For the router do I install the TP link firmware first then the upgrate gargoyle or upgrade gargoyle directly? Thx

Osmose
21-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Doesnt want to take gargoyle. I dowladed it and browse and put file from my pc and keep saying chose a file to upgrade but dont give me the box saying chose file

CliveM
21-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Have you read the instructions Chilling Silence gives on his blog? If not do so.

The Error Guy
21-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Osmose - the default filename of the gargoyle firmware is too long, the router won't accept it. Simply re name the file to something like gargoyle.bin and you'll be fine. Also make sure it's 1.5.9 or later! The earlier firmware will damage the router :)

Osmose
21-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I put a shorter name and I finally managed to upgrade to the gargoyle firmware last version and now it will not open the page to log into the router settings and cant connect the net. I restarted modem router and pc still not working.

Osmose
21-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Finally got it working guess those things dont like to be rush. Tomorrow will set up filters for the devices. Thx for the help :)

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Wow I don't come on PF1 for half a day and miss all the fun :D

Glad you've got it up and running... Let us know how you go with the connection tomorrow :-)