PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive for a small business

Digby
11-03-2013, 01:27 PM
HI guys
I am building a new PC for a small business.

Single user, only a small contractor with not many jobs per month.

So it will not need to be too powerful.

Just Word, accounting and spreadsheets and backups

I was thinking of getting a 1TB hard drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm

Do you think it is worth paying a bit more and getting a higher spec'd hard drive ?
Eg faster rpm?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2013, 01:30 PM
That maybe the same hdd I'm using now (if its the ST31000528AS. Nothing wrong with it. But if you get the same hdd, it may pay to update the firmware on it (It's up to CC49 now)

bk T
11-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Seagate still has firmware issues now?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2013, 02:10 PM
There were updates for this one after I had brought it thats about 18 mths - 2 yrs ago now

Alex B
11-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Any reason why you wouldn't just buy an off the shelf business desktop, the likes of an HP 6200 Pro. About the same price as a build and have a 3 year on-site warranty. What ever you buy, make sure you get a second drive big enough to back it up.

wratterus
11-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Any 7200RPM mechanical hard drive is fine. Seagate's warranty on their standard drives is pretty poor these days. For a business, if the budget doesn't extend to a SSD, I would spend a little more and get a Western Digital Black drive. larger cache, and 5 year warranty.

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I'll second what Wratterus said. If it's not SSD, it's Western Digital, and the Black HDDs aren't actually much more expensive. I'm a huge SSD fan though...

Jams
11-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Seagate won me back a few months ago.

One of their 750GB Barracuda's died on me, and it had a crud load of important work on it. Without a cent leaving my bank account, and all within 2 weeks, they arranged to pick up the drive, sent it to their HQ in Thailand, diagnosed it after I was sure that the controller board died (which they confirmed), replaced the board, performed data recovery and sent the HDD back to me.

That's the best customer support I've had from ANY company in ANY industry - ever.

dugimodo
11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Agree with above comments, for any user backups are a good Idea but for a business I'd call it mandatory. Best practice is an external backup device , stored securely or preferably offsite and a regular backup schedule. To get serious you'd keep 2 data backups and a system image with each.

psycik
11-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Agree with above comments, for any user backups are a good Idea but for a business I'd call it mandatory. Best practice is an external backup device , stored securely or preferably offsite and a regular backup schedule. To get serious you'd keep 2 data backups and a system image with each.

The problem with external harddrives - is they have to be manually removed and inserted.

Any backup system that isn't fully automatic is prone to error. I like the idea of backup to another drive/external drive and/or to another local computer and to cloud.

I have 147 GB being backed up in just this method. No intervention required.

dugimodo
11-03-2013, 03:50 PM
All true, which is why I said external backup device and not specifically a hard drive :) It depends on the level of the business and how important the backups are though.

Having a pair of portable hard drives and backing up to one all week then swapping it for another in an alternating week about pattern and taking one home (or store it somewhere) though is really not that much of a chore. You can leave a backup device permantely connected and schedule to it and only need to do something once a week. If any one drive fails you replace it and restore the back-up and carry on. In the unlikely event two drives fail the most you can lose is a weeks worth of backups.

Just a possible example of how you could do it, I'd leave actual backup decisions to the user.

Digby
11-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Yes, that is what I do, and I will be advising them to do the same.
They have one external hard drive.
I will be recommending a seconds one to rotate off site.

Digby
11-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I have decided that we'll go for a WD Black caviar and just get a 500 gig drive which is about the same price as the Barracuda 1TB.

Greven
15-03-2013, 06:49 PM
The windows 7 backup is quite good, but there is the problem of it not supporting drive swapping - you can only have 1 backup drive. What does everyone here use?