PDA

View Full Version : Wanting new laptop advice please? Thx

Osmose
08-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I bought a new desktop 2 months ago and gave away my 3 years old laptop a toshiba L500 17.3 inch screen. Now I missed it but I was not overly happy with it. It was repaired it like 3 times with new HD new fan and new battery.
I would like i7 quadcore 17.3 inch screen 8 or more gb in ram prefer SSD and HD blu-ray and good graphic video card. I was thinking on the Asus G75 VW and I dont want it in 3D. Depending the model it is between $ 2.6 to 3k. Any other laptop i should be considering with similar features? Thank you :)

SanChippy
09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Are you willing to sacrifice some ram for a SSD cache? Or are you going for a full out SSD? or a hybrid. Not that many laptops have blu-ray readers so it might be hard to find one that does. Looking at the laprop that you had to the laptop that you may be getting (the Asus), it seems that it will be a big step up in performance. Are you sure you really want a gaming laptop? It seems a bit oversized IMHO. I think that if your current desktop system is good for everything you do, it would be over kill to get that Asus, and I'm guessing that you might just need a laptop for stuff to do one the go then, and reiterates the point even more. If you were comparing the Asus to the Toshiba it is easy to see why you were unhappy with it, but, then again you can't compare apples(your toshiba, slightly sour) to oranges(the Asus, more sour), or even grapefruits(the most sour, an equivalent desktop system, or better one that has been self constructed).

I guess that when comparing you wanted specs it would be hard to find something else in that range.

Greven
09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
The L500 wasn't a very good laptop. Toshiba have some good laptops (if you pay enough) and some really bad ones, but almost all Asus laptops are good quality (there have been a few bad models, but not many).
You are asking a lot from a laptop - what are you going to be using it for? A laptop that powerful will likely be very large, very heavy & have terrible battery life.

SanChippy
09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
The L500 wasn't a very good laptop. Toshiba have some good laptops (if you pay enough) and some really bad ones, but almost all Asus laptops are good quality (there have been a few bad models, but not many).
You are asking a lot from a laptop - what are you going to be using it for? A laptop that powerful will likely be very large, very heavy & have terrible battery life.
Correctimundo