PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Office from one PC and re-installing it on a new one

John H
07-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I am pensioning off my current desktop, and migrating programmes I own to my new laptop.

I tried to get advice from Microsoft on how to do this with Office so that I do not lose any data. Unfortunately I encountered 1) a support person with an impenetrable accent; and 2) said support person had to keep putting me on hold whilst he got advice from someone else. As a result I lack a degree of confidence in his advice.

I want to preserve templates, including Normal.dot, and the address book and emails in Outlook.

Chummy from Microsoft said I had to uninstall Office from the old PC before I could install it on the new laptop. He maintained that un-installing would leave all of my data files (including the above) on the old PC, and I could then import them into the new laptop. I worked out that initially he was talking only about saved Word documents etc (duh!), and when I challenged him about the other data he ran away for advice and came back insisting all that data would be unaffected by the uninstall.

Is he correct? Thanks for any advice. Please use a neutral English accent so I can understand you...

PS old PC is WinXP/Office 97, new laptop is Windows 8.

b....
07-03-2013, 09:52 PM
"PS old PC is WinXP/Office 97, new laptop is Windows 8."

I think Office 97 is too old to run on Windows 8. Did you mean Office 2007?

wainuitech
07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Wont work - Windows 8 doesn't support office 97 its not compatible.

Officially only Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 are compatible.

The above versions should be able to open the older versions.

I tried Office 2003 once, just for the hell of it - what a disaster :waughh:

John H
07-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Sorry, tired at the end of a long day... Office 2007.

wainuitech
07-03-2013, 10:45 PM
The person at MS is correct- they should stay put, but to be safe its easier to export the mail (pst file) and all your documents first, install Office and import the mail, etc. You can install just don't activate it ( Yet) then once all is confirmed to work then activate and remove the old version from other PC.

John H
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks very much wainuitech. That is a relief. So much to learn, so little time!

That will be today's project, as well as trying to install other programmes for which I may not have saved registration numbers and/or passwords! Also trying to get my head around Windows 8!

Thanks again.

Jen
08-03-2013, 09:23 AM
I thought the MS Office license allowed for the product to be installed on two PCs - normally a desktop and a laptop. Has that changed? If not, then you can just install Office 2007 on the laptop and leave it on the desktop too.

wainuitech
08-03-2013, 09:28 AM
No worries, Theres a program that CYaBro mentioned a while back that locates just about every licence key on your computer, it works very well, it actually shows keys that others wont.

Do you think for the life of me I can remember its name :crying

I'll PM him and see if he can post the name back here.
As for passwords - go to Nirsoft (http://www.nirsoft.net/) they have software that will get most, just select teh ones you want. Word of warning though, some Antivirus software detects these programs as harmful /infections - they aren't its just the way they work, so uninstall the AV on the Computer you are wanting to recover passwords for.

wainuitech
08-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I thought the MS Office license allowed for the product to be installed on two PCs - normally a desktop and a laptop. Has that changed? If not, then you can just install Office 2007 on the laptop and leave it on the desktop too.Depends on the version.

Just found an old post on another site that explains it.

If you purchase a retail-box copy of Office 2007 Standard Edition, Small Business Edition, Professional Edition, or Ultimate Edition, then you are allowed to install the software on a licensed device (desktop or portable computer) plus another portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

If you purchase a retail-box copy of Office 2007 Home and Student Edition, then you are allowed to install the software on up to three computers in the same household for use by members of that household, subject to the limitation that the software cannot be used for any commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating business activities.

Some online vendors (caveat emptor) sell OEM versions of several Office 2007 editions. OEM versions are supposed to be sold preinstalled on new computers. OEM versions are only licensed for installation on one computer

wainuitech
08-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Bummer ran out of time -- To add to the above Office 2013 has changed as well http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products-subscription-plans-FX102898564.aspx The subscription based 365 works out quite cheap if you want 5 licences, basically $33 / Per year/ Per Computer - which when looking at the programs is Professional + a couple of extras.

wainuitech
08-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks very much wainuitech. That is a relief. So much to learn, so little time!

That will be today's project, as well as trying to install other programmes for which I may not have saved registration numbers and/or passwords! Also trying to get my head around Windows 8!

Thanks again.Found the program that will give you the license details - licensecrawler (http://www.klinzmann.name/licensecrawler.htm) you can also try Belarc (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)

SolMiester
08-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Or magic jellybean
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

wainuitech
08-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Some of the more "usual" key finders dont work to good on Windows 8. I was trying to recover a W8 upgrade key from a botched upgrade the other day so I could reinstall it, only belarc actually gave the correct key ( it didn't have the media upgrade either).

John H
08-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks folks for all your good advice. I have confirmed what Jen and wainuitech advised - that I can install on one primary and one portable device. I started to run the installation wizard on the new laptop, and checked through the installation part of the Licence, and it was quite clearly stated there. NB it is the Office 2007 Standard pack.

So I went ahead and installed it, and then configured Outlook. That triggered the need to activate (I had entered the key at the beginning of the process), and this was the quickest and simplest activation I have ever done. On most other installs of Microsoft products, I have had to phone because the internet activation failed, but this time it was really automatic . At the other end they must have a record that this key has been used once already, but it didn't so much as hiccup.

I haven't migrated the data files yet because the lappy is currently downloading and installing about 600 MB of updates. Migration will be my next task.

Thanks for the advice as well about keyfinders - they may become necessary as I go through installing my other programmes...

FYI the laptop I bought is an ASUS 15.6" K55VJ-SX176H. First time I have bought a PC from a kitchen ware vendor, so I hope it will all work out OK. They provided good support over the Samsung S2 when it needed service in the warranty period, and I was able to negotiate for a free carrying case as part of the deal. I couldn't find this laptop anywhere else (except at Bond & Bond) and there was nothing else I was attracted to for my purposes. I have had a Nexus 7 for some months, and was so impressed by the ASUS build quality I thought that was the brand for me (assuming their laptops are built to the same standard!). Thus far I am really impressed by the ASUS.

SanChippy
09-03-2013, 04:27 PM
I thought the MS Office license allowed for the product to be installed on two PCs - normally a desktop and a laptop. Has that changed? If not, then you can just install Office 2007 on the laptop and leave it on the desktop too.
It depends on the license type. ie MS Office for business allows two licenses, on a desktop and laptop, Student on 3 different pcs in general, but I used both business licenses on laptops, and it's fine.

On another note about licenses, if I were to uninstall Office on one of the laptops that I had installed it on, as mentioned before, would I then be able to use that license on another pc?

Greven
09-03-2013, 06:42 PM
If you uninstall a retail (not OEM) copy from 1 computer then you are allowed to install it on another computer, but you may need to call support to get it activated.