PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for dealing with existing PCs - ideas please?

John H
05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi folks

I have three PCs in the house - a desktop and laptop for my business, and a desktop for the family. All are probably reaching the end of their useful life. My wife and I will soon be homeless for several months whilst a new home is being built so we will be living some of the time in a campervan and some of the time with our daughter. All of our belongings will be in storage for several months, so this is probably the right time to quit the current PCs. I will buy a good laptop for working/internet access in the campervan, and when we are back in our home that will become the sole computer in the house (my wife hardly ever uses the family PC since she bought an iPad).

What to do with the current PCs is the question? They are:
1. a desktop pc (Lian Li PC-V1100A Tower case, 2Gb RAM, CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+, Motherboard Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9, two hard drives, one DVD burner) built in 2004,
2. a Fujitsu 10.6" Lifebook bought in 2003, and
3. a Shuttle FN45U bare bones PC built about 2005.
All are running WinXP Service Pack 3.

I have replaced the hard drives in the desktop and Fujitsu, but I think the Shuttle is still on the original hard drive... None of them have had a fresh OS install since their builds - performance is not the best for the Fujitsu and the Shuttle is especially cranky.

I feel reluctant to fire them off to the recyclers, but I reckon I couldn't sell them without spending money on getting fresh OS installs on all three, and maybe a new hard drive for the Shuttle. I am not confident enough to do a fresh OS install on them myself...

Finally, I think no-one would want them with XP aboard anyway would they? If so, I would need to spend money on getting Win 7 or 8?

What do you think? Is it worth spending money on them, or would that be a waste? What are my chances of getting that money back (e.g. a new drive for the Shuttle and Win7 for all three)? Should I just cut my losses - they have lasted a hell of a long time for PCs after all...

Thanks for any ideas.

plod
05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
What are the specs on the shuttle? I might be interested for the right price.
Yes a waste spending money on them

John H
05-03-2013, 04:45 PM
I feared as much, plod. Maybe I should just pass over the Fujitsu to my grandsons to learn on. Right size for them! I will put Everest on the Shuttle and get back to you with the salient bits of the report. Or if you PM me your email address, I could email you the report?

SanChippy
05-03-2013, 05:22 PM
In my family no matter how old the computer, if it still works you should use it. (Not like only two of the computers in our house we actually bought ourselves, the other 5...)

Nomad
05-03-2013, 05:55 PM
We use a old PC for interneting ... if you won't use them, maybe donate them ... but know what you mean, they do take up space.

John H
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
OK, thanks for the help folks.

I have bitten the bullet, and bought a new laptop that will become the sole computer in this house and campervan, and will try to find homes for the three pensioners.

Myth
07-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Whereabouts are you?

I may have a home for the Tower pc

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 09:27 PM
What are you doing with the desktop case?, I love old lian le cases, ill pay for the freight!

John H
07-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Woodend in North Canterbury, Myth.

Myth
07-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Hmm, bit far out of the way.

For some reason I thought you were in the North Island

gary67
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
We have just looked at a house in Woodend near the beach

John H
08-03-2013, 09:05 AM
I noticed a nice looking place on the market there recently Gary. Houses in Nth Canty seem to be selling like hot cakes at the moment as ChCh/Kaiapoi earthquake survivors get their payouts. Good walks and MTB rides at Woodend Beach, as well as the swimming. Good luck! Let us know if you buy.

gary67
08-03-2013, 09:10 AM
I will, just waiting to see if our house in nelson sells in the next couple of weeks. We are looking outside the city as I hate living here in the city

FoxyMX
08-03-2013, 09:24 AM
I am very tempted to take the desktop off your hands as I could find a use for it. What sort of price would you want for it?

SolMiester
08-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I noticed a nice looking place on the market there recently Gary. Houses in Nth Canty seem to be selling like hot cakes at the moment as ChCh/Kaiapoi earthquake survivors get their payouts. Good walks and MTB rides at Woodend Beach, as well as the swimming. Good luck! Let us know if you buy.

John, did you sort anything out with the Lian Li case?, you cant get them anymore and I would love to get hold of it!...PM me if you can help

John H
08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
I will, just waiting to see if our house in nelson sells in the next couple of weeks. We are looking outside the city as I hate living here in the city

Woodend is a good place to live Gary. It is much easier to get into the city as you will have to for work, because it is a straight run onto the motorway. Rangiora is more difficult to access the motorway, and Kaiapoi is really depressing at the moment. A trip from here to the airport is about 25 mins, and a similar time to Fitzgerald Ave.

You have to shop elsewhere, but Rangiora is only 5km away and it has everything you need.

Good luck with the sale and purchase.

Agent_24
08-03-2013, 02:17 PM
You don't have to put Windows on it to sell it, many people buying would happily install whatever OS they want themselves anyway

John H
08-03-2013, 02:18 PM
SolMeister - thanks for the interest, but I would not like to break the PC up if I can avoid that - it is still too good for that. I think I would sooner see whether FoxyMX wants it as a going concern, or if not I will store the desktop for the first of my kids who ends up with a dead PC. One of them is likely to face that sooner rather than later I think... Thanks again. I agree about the Lian Li case quality - I did a lot of research before buying it.

John H
08-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I am very tempted to take the desktop off your hands as I could find a use for it. What sort of price would you want for it?

I will PM you with my email address so I can send you an Everest report on the beast. Maybe then you could let me know what you think it is worth to you?

Ah, I see you do not accept PMs. Email me if you like at hopskinny (at) gmail (dot) com and I will reply with the report.

John H
08-03-2013, 02:26 PM
You don't have to put Windows on it to sell it, many people buying would happily install whatever OS they want themselves anyway

Oh, I just assumed that no-one would want a PC without a more recent OS on it. Maybe I will try that with the Shuttle - do a reformat and re-install of XP and see if that sorts out the performance issues. I have offered the wee Fujitsu laptop to my daughter for the grandsons, and she is going to get back to me on that one. However, it may be worth trying what you suggest with the Shuttle, cos that has no obvious destination except Molten Media!

FoxyMX
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I will PM you with my email address so I can send you an Everest report on the beast. Maybe then you could let me know what you think it is worth to you?

Ah, I see you do not accept PMs. Email me if you like at hopskinny (at) gmail (dot) com and I will reply with the report.

Sorry, I turned them off after unintentionally ignoring some PMs a while ago which I felt really bad about. Will send you an email now.

SolMiester
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
SolMeister - thanks for the interest, but I would not like to break the PC up if I can avoid that - it is still too good for that. I think I would sooner see whether FoxyMX wants it as a going concern, or if not I will store the desktop for the first of my kids who ends up with a dead PC. One of them is likely to face that sooner rather than later I think... Thanks again. I agree about the Lian Li case quality - I did a lot of research before buying it.

Hi John, thanks for the consideration, I don't need free PC, but the case is the only material value of the desktop..(you can't lose with elegant material And thought of design, cases last for ages)...I cant believe you are letting go of such a sweet house for a PC.

Anyway cheers...