PDA

View Full Version : Amahi Home Server

SolMiester
05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi all, I have scored a 7 year old ML350 G5, and have installed ESXi 4.1 on it. I am hoping to setup a decent NAS system on it with 4 of the available 6 disks. I have looked at FreeNAS, however not sure if its the hypervisor layer on it or lack of VM Tools, but write are very slow 2-4MB/s, where as reads are 80-90MB/s on my gigabit network...

Also looks at OpenFiler, but still not impressed with anything so far...

I saw the Amahi Home Server page, and really media stream is the primary goal here....Has anyone used Amahi Home server, what base system did you use?, anyone with ESXi hosted NAS software here?

wainuitech
05-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Used an earlier edition and it worked OK, was going fine till the Hardware craped out but never got it going again after that, Now got 2x WHS'ers.

Gary uses it a bit, hes the man to advise the goods and bad of it.

psycik
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
If you're a windows man then I'd go Windows 2008/W7/w2k3 and put drive bender on it (drive pooling - adds redundancy without the need to raid and like sized disks - leaves the disk system as plain NTFS).

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm a big fan of FreeNAS, it does all the streaming, DAAP (iTunes) etc!

I'd figure out why that was going slow and work from there, personally...

gary67
05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
yes i have an amahi server, i don't have it doing dchp though as its mainly used as a backup and media storage. Greypool works well as an alternative to raid sort of. The amahi hda connect app for remote conecting is the best thing they have released.

It just sits in the corner with 2 cables power and ethernet and does its thing.

I'm running it on a P4 intel with 4 hard drives

Alex B
05-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Did you use the HP ESXi disk or a generic one? What is the RAID config? You could probably run 5.1 on that.

WarNox
05-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow didn't realise G5s were that old :) All the ones we have in production are still under warranty.

Why do you want to use ESX?

I also vote for fixing the FreeNAS issue.

Alex B
05-03-2013, 09:48 PM
G5's are damn old, we have G8's at work now days. You must have extended support or pretty late purchase if they are still under warranty.

WarNox
05-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Yea they're extended warranties and I guess must be late purchase because I don't think you can extend beyond 5 years.

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Did you use the HP ESXi disk or a generic one? What is the RAID config? You could probably run 5.1 on that.

Hi Alex, Using HP ESXi and the RAID controller is E200i...However as 4.1 has 2TB datastore limit, I have 3 x 1TB in RAID5 and single TB which I was going to use for VMs, hence Warnox, the reason Im running a Hypervisor....seems such a shame to waste 12GB RAM and 4 cores just for a NAS box...

I suppose I could try 5.1, though not sure how much RAM you are allowed on the free version, I thought it was 8GB?.....I dont have much experiemce with 2012 Server yet, so I might try that with the new Hypervisor....One of the PSU is knackered, so if anyone has one, drop me a line and Ill buy it off you!

Alex B
06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Pretty sure the free RAM limit of 5.1 is 32GB. RAID5 by definition is slower on writes than reads.... But not THAT much slower.

I'm guessing you have seen this? http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/FreeNAS%C2%AE_in_a_Virtual_Environment - it actually doesn't give that much info but there is no mention of needing anything other than the generic LAN drivers for VMware.

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Alex, installing 5.1 now...looks like the RAID battery is not charging now either...might switch the array to RAID 10 of 2TB....RAid 5 is slower but yeah, no where near that slow especially with 700MB files!...I think it was to do with VM tools not being installed on the FreeNAS VM, although strange that reads were around what I excepted....
Ill see how I go with 5.1, as I do want to use the box for VM testings, not just a media storage box, if thats still an issue, I might try Server 2012 and try out MS's new Hyper-V (~~shiver~~)....

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2013, 11:15 AM
So lucky, such a nice server... Can I come live with you? :D

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Pretty sure the free RAM limit of 5.1 is 32GB. RAID5 by definition is slower on writes than reads.... But not THAT much slower.

I'm guessing you have seen this? http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/FreeNAS%C2%AE_in_a_Virtual_Environment - it actually doesn't give that much info but there is no mention of needing anything other than the generic LAN drivers for VMware.

Cant bridge a network adapter in ESXi...

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 11:44 AM
So lucky, such a nice server... Can I come live with you? :D

Hehe, I told the boss, we need some a new unit, the 2008 DL380 G5 has nosiey fans in the front and its a bit distracting. Getting a G8 DL380 and will put the G5 on standby for DR), the 3rd unit is G7, this ML G5, was my R&D Host and because it was using 1 of our 3 licenses, we would have to remove it....I suggested to him that I need it at home to play with VMs etc as sandbox VMs on a corporate network dont work so well with proxies etc.....just so happens I have filled my Dlink 323 750GB NAS box, so timing is excellent...

Now I just need to get ethernet out to my garage....dont think ESXi will play with WiFi very well, so that leaves me EoP or somehow getting a cable out there when I have a concrete pathway to consider.....will probably have to go via the roof and span the carport to the fence, along that and into the garage...what a mission!

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Okay, still have shocking performance on the RAID5 array, 2100KBps, highest latency is 166 ms, this is with 3rd party/independent tools.....and E1000 NIC adapter for FreeNAS....wonder if I should try a different adapter, as network is peaking at 1915KBps.....truly awful!

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Thats odd I'm sure I've had the E1000 working faster than that on some old hardware I had at my last job, with FreeNAS?

What drivers are you using for the HDDs?

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Thats odd I'm sure I've had the E1000 working faster than that on some old hardware I had at my last job, with FreeNAS?

What drivers are you using for the HDDs?

Drivers for HDDs?...using ESXi LSI logic SAS for controller.....

I have deleted the x64 FreeNAS VM, will try x86 instead, but dont hold up must hope.....Im quite sure its the vNIC thats the issue, Alex B linked a page for a FreeNAS VM on VirtualBox which uses a bridged adapter for the NIC, which I cant do on ESXi..

For now Ill install Win8 ENT..just to get something going, I can import the volumes later if I get the FreeNAS build working fast enough when writting

SolMiester
06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Ok, Im still getting poor writes with a windows VM, so now wondering if my cheap little switch might be the issue, however can't remember ever transferring large data over it anyway, least not to a box on the same switch....might have to move the server to the sever room

gary67
06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I have had that issue when I had my server and Win7 computer on the same switch Active@ took 5 hours to image my C drive to the server. Moved the server to the garage and plugged it into another switch and speeds leapt up

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Hi Gary, yeah I still have the server at work, what im saying is I have a 5 port gigabit desktop switch to multiply my single gigabit port back that goes to the network backbone....I dont think the traffic is using least cost and is going back to the backbone then back to switch again then server rather than straight to it from the desktop switch....I think the failed battery on the RAID5 array has also degraded the disk performance but are just about to check that...

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Yeah a lot will turn off write caching without a battery, for "safety".

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Yeah, not sure what going on Chill, we burst up to 90mb/s then peter out rather quickly down to 3 or 4MB/s on a 1gb file...I thought it was the disk, but a single disk on the same controller does the same thing....

WarNox
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Let's start where HP would, is all the firmware up to date?

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Easy way to figure it out, copy from one disk to another disk, within the OS. Easy test ;-)

Alex B
07-03-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm guessing you put all the disk in a single array once you went to 5.1? If so can't really do that test. I had a G4 going for a year or so in RAID1 with dead write cache, didn't seem to affect performance noticeably. Maybe you should try a RAID1 or 10. Are you running VMware from a USB stick or have you installed it on your datastore?

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi guys....I did have a single disk and a RAID 5 array, I also have a couple of 80GB SATAs in a mirror which has ESXi on it...have to LOL, just got the DL380 G8 in and noticed it has an internal SD card slot, so was quiet pissed I spend a grand on a mirror array for ESXi!!......***, how did I miss that!....

Anyway, back to G5, and now have 4 x single disks, which I will play around with copy tests inside the VM, may have a go at presenting FreeNAS with single disks to use for ZFS, but have to do a bit of reading on it first....I guy has a refurbished controller on trademe for like$60!, i have messaged him Ill give him $25...7 year old product FGS!

Anyway, get back to you when I have some more info...

Alex B
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Old server gear sometimes keeps it's value OK, people will pay whatever if their data is stuck on a 7 year old production server (It happens :P) Yeah our G8's have no disk at all, just ESXi on a USB stick using the internal usb slot, then all fiber attached storage to SAN.

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Old server gear sometimes keeps it's value OK, people will pay whatever if their data is stuck on a 7 year old production server (It happens :P) Yeah our G8's have no disk at all, just ESXi on a USB stick using the internal usb slot, then all fiber attached storage to SAN.

Yeah, but i meant say $60 battery, not the full controller....will see what he says!

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Okay, single disk write performance is also fubared......appears the battery on the cache memory plays a big part...I start off at close to 60-70MB/s then it just dies...

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
WINNER! :D

Yeah that caching.... That said, in the RAID BIOS of most of them, you should be able to still do caching even though you don't have the battery, it's just more likely to break things in event of a power outage. I know in the RAID controllers we use here that you can still force it when you're creating the RAID array, it just gives a warning but will still let you.

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
WINNER! :D

Yeah that caching.... That said, in the RAID BIOS of most of them, you should be able to still do caching even though you don't have the battery, it's just more likely to break things in event of a power outage. I know in the RAID controllers we use here that you can still force it when you're creating the RAID array, it just gives a warning but will still let you.

Yeah, will have to see if flashing the BIOS on the controller helps....either that, or pull the P800 (hehe) out of the DL380 G5 scheduled for DR and just transfer the disks out of the MSA50 into local storage for it to use the P400 it comes with......Hehe, might have a use for the MSA with SAS drives 2, as the P800 have the mini SAS connection at the back....

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, this is interesting...

Subscribe to driver and support alerts

Only receive updates on products you specify or own when you want them.

Useful links
HP and Windows 7
Solutions to common download problems
These downloads are available for customers according to the terms in the HP Software License Agreement. Certain software may require a valid warranty, current support contract with HP, or a license fee.
Type: Firmware - Storage Controller
Version: 1.86 (C) (13 Dec 2012)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 W32, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64
(multi-part download)
File name: cp018484.exe (2.5 MB)
File name: cp018484.md5 (48 Bytes)

Description
Description
Installation Instructions
Installation Instructions
Release Notes
Release Notes
Fixes
Fixes
Revision History
Revision History

Version: 1.86 (C) (13 Dec 2012)
Fixes

Upgrade Requirement:
Critical - HP requires users update to this version immediately.

Customers who already installed firmware version 1.86 do not need to update to 1.86(C).

Problems Fixed:

Fixed an issue where logical drives were not being detected during POST or reboot on the HP Smart Array E200i controller with firmware version 1.80, 1.82 or 1.84.
Fixed an issue that caused the component to hang during installation under a Japanese Language version of the OS.
FW version 1.86(C) - Fixed an issue where a decimal conversion was not being interpreted correctly when installing the component under certain regional settings in Windows. This would cause the component installation to end with a return code 3 (already up to date) and a force install would be required to successfully update the FW.

Version: 1.86 (B) (26 May 2010)
Fixes

Upgrade Requirement:

Customers who already installed firmware version 1.86 do not need to update to 1.86(B).

Important Notes:

To update firmware from Windows operating system on target server:

Place the Smart Component in a temporary directory.
Double-click on the Smart Component.
Follow the directions given by the Smart Component.
Reboot your system if you would like the update to take effect immediately.

HP recommends for remote deployment of this package that you obtain the most recent version of the Firmware Maintenance CD and follow these steps:

Place the Firmware Maintenance CD on a USB key using the USB Key Creator Utility.
Place the firmware to be updated in the directory, \HPFWUP900\hp\swpackages on the USB key.
Run Autorun from \HPFWUP900\autorun.cmd on the Firmware Maintenance CD from the USB key on a system
Select the Firmware Update tab
Click on the Install Firmware link to launch the HP Smart Update Manager
Follow the GUI to install the firmware on remote servers

Note: The HP ProLiant 100-series servers are only supported on the Firmware Maintenance DVD 9.0 or greater.

Problems Fixed:

Fixed an issue where logical drives were not being detected during POST or reboot on the HP Smart Array E200i controller with firmware version 1.80, 1.82 or 1.84.
Fixed an issue that caused the component to hang during installation under a Japanese Language version of the OS.

Version: 1.86 (9 Apr 2010)
Fixes

Upgrade Requirement:

Important Notes:

HP recommends for remote deployment of this package that you obtain the most recent version of the Firmware Maintenance CD and follow these steps:

Place the Firmware Maintenance CD on a USB key using the USB Key Creator Utility.
Place the firmware to be updated in the directory, /compaq/swpackages on the USB key.
Run Autorun from \_autorun\autorun_win.exe on the Firmware Maintenance CD from the USB key on a system

Note: The HP ProLiant 100-series servers are only supported on the Firmware Maintenance DVD 9.0 or greater.

Problems Fixed:

Version: 1.84 (A) (30 Mar 2010)
Fixes

Upgrade Requirement:
Recommended - HP recommends users update to this version at their earliest convenience.

If you have previously updated to version 1.84, another update is not needed. The changes for 1.84(A) did not affect FW functionality.

Important Notes:

Place the firmware to be updated in the directory, /compaq/swpackages on the USB key.
Run Autorun from \_autorun\autorun_win.exe on the Firmware Maintenance CD from the USB key on a system

Problems Fixed:

Fixed an issue where a controller failure error 1783 is reported at POST, if a power cycle is initiated during a drive rebuild on a RAID 5 volume.
Fixed a potential unresponsive condition related to controller lockup error code 0x83.

Enhancements

Enhancements/New Features:

Updated flashing mechanism to add Windows 2008 support.

Version: 1.84 (26 Aug 2009)
Fixes

Fixed an issue where a controller failure error 1783 is reported at POST, if a power cycle is initiated during a drive rebuild on a RAID 5 volume.
Fixed a potential unresponsive condition related to controller lockup error code 0x83.

Version: 1.82 (17 Apr 2009)
Fixes

Fix to address a potential Windows blue screen issue that may display a STOP: 0XD0, STOP: 0X0A or STOP:0XC5 error message.

Enhancements

Includes advanced error logging features for HP Array Diagnostics Utility (ADU) reports.

Version: 1.80 (11 Sep 2008)
Fixes

Fixed an issue where the HP E200 Smart Array controller was timing out at post during a hard drive rebuild on HP Proliant 100 series servers.

Enhancements

Added an enhancement to turn off unused SAS/SATA ports on the HP Proliant BL460G5 server.

Version: 1.78 (2 Jul 2008)
Fixes

Fix to prevent a controller lockup when performing a RAID 1 migration to any other RAID level.
Implemented a stripe lock algorithm to avoid potential data write errors observed during rare instances of background surface analysis initialization and I/O writes occurring on RAID 1 or RAID 1+0 volumes. This has only been observed in a rigorous test environment and has not been reported in a production environment.

Version: 1.72 (B) (23 Jan 2008)
Fixes

Updated the component installer. If you have previously updated to version 1.72, another update is not needed.

Fixed an abnormal volume state issue where under certain rare conditions, a replacement drive that is in a rebuilding state in a RAID 1 or RAID 1+0 configuration may be marked "OK", prior to completing the rebuilding process.
Fixed an issue where the controller may not automatically write the monitoring & performance (M&P) data to a new hard drive installed on a system that already has a configured logical volume.
Fixed an issue where an Accidental Power loss causes expansion data loss on SATA drives when running FW version 1.64.
Fixed a FW Performance issue where Read/Write Hits above 2TB are not getting cached into the controller's cache.

Enhancements

Allow Drive Write Cache to be enabled on SATA Hard Drives. WTF!...LMAO??
Added a Post Message with instructions to upgrade Hard Drive FW if the Hard Drive FW is not at a Minimum Revision Level.

Its on the original firmware....v1.20....

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you need to go to 1.72B!

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Well, at 1.86c now, still says write cache disabled until battery replaced, however it does say that more options are available with the ACU CLI utility, only problem is ESXi doesnt have a console, so I guess I have to install a windows o/s on there to install the utility to make the changes!!!...Far out!, why dont they just put those options on the damn BIOS?!...Grrrrr

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
They're in the BIOS for 3ware cards! :D

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
They're in the BIOS for 3ware cards! :D

That P800 controller is looking better and better...LOL

Alex B
07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Maybe it's different in free esxi but in the paid for one you just turn on ssh and ssh to the box.

SolMiester
07-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Maybe it's different in free esxi but in the paid for one you just turn on ssh and ssh to the box.

Yeah, I had ESX from 3.x, you could install agents etc from the service console, ESXi took that away. Never did understand that, guess it was a security issue....?

SolMiester
11-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Okay, I have given up on the E2001 controller, I have a P800 lined up from the DL380G5, looking to install it at the weekend once I move the new server in...will do some benchies to see just how much better performance we get from a decent controller with same drives....I should be able to saturate the drives! ~~300Mb/s

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2013, 01:45 PM
....with FreeNAS? :D

SolMiester
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, that's what it will come down too, do I trust raidz or hardware raid 5, or R10.....

SolMiester
14-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Damn it, I have to use the P800 in the new server, until we get the shared storage.....

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2013, 12:36 PM
:(

Keep us posted!

SolMiester
25-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Okay, in the end I put Server 2012 on the box, and use the W8 storage pools for the disks....installed HP Array manager software and overwrote the cache disbled feature so now have decent write performance...Yay, a mate also sent me a battery so hoping that ones in better condition, not that i worried...Wont be writing much to it anyway..

Ill use Hyper-V for VMs, been a few years since I used it, so will be good to update myself....Also got the old plasma in the garage now, so nice big screen hehe...

SolMiester
25-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Write speed....is BACK!

Chilling_Silence
25-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Nice movie too, that was one of my favorites...

SolMiester
26-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Well, can you believe it?, the P800 wont play with the new G8 DL380, apparently last supported Gen is G6, although it does work in G7 which has the other one.....A mate found a battery for my E200i, so I dont really need a another controller....LMAO, Hmmmm...