PDA

View Full Version : Save shop cards on iPod

FoxyMX
04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
I am getting tired of lugging around a fat wad of store loyalty cards in my bag and am wondering whether anyone has a solution for reducing them. I tried leaving my Whitcoulls, Paper Plus, Spotlight, clothing store, etc cards at home and only take them when I expected to shop there but that backfired when I forgot them or when I decided to buy something on impulse and couldn't get the discount without my card. :mad:

Recently I read somewhere of a person who "scans" (ie takes a pic) their cards with their iPod and just shows the image at the checkout when required. Initially I thought this would be the answer except my cards have barcodes so I am not sure that that would work? Also, a few of them like my OneCard and FlyBuys cards have swipe strips so it obviously won't work for them.

I would love to have a smart card with a chip that can load all these cards onto just one but until they become a reality does anyone else have ideas for a solution? Or am I doomed to have lop-sided shoulders? :(

psycik
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
I use keyring which takes pictures of cards (plus recreates the barcode) - but being over here we're not greatly supported. There's also stocards

Jen
04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I have a small card holder wallet that fans out when open. I put all my cards in that so they are not filling up my purse. Still have to cart them around...

nmercer
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
just opt out of them, tell the stores you want the discount without having to carry the cards around

some stores now store them electronically or keep "your" card behind the counter

I just don't use them, when I use Flybuys or whatever it is at the supermarket, I just ask the checkout person to put it through anyway

most of the time it works fine, when it doesn't work, I just walk away and leave my stuff there, then miraculously it works

FoxyMX
04-03-2013, 10:00 PM
I use keyring which takes pictures of cards (plus recreates the barcode) - but being over here we're not greatly supported. There's also stocards

That sounds interesting, I didn't know there were apps to do that sort of thing. Will check those out. :)

I have a small card holder wallet that fans out when open. I put all my cards in that so they are not filling up my purse. Still have to cart them around...

Have already filled two of those. That is how bad it has got. :blush:

I am just going to have to carry the most used three or four of them and only take the occasional ones when required. If the apps psycik mentioned are any good I might get away with showing them on my iPod. If nothing else then hopefully they might perhaps take notice and get with the times. :rolleyes: