PDA

View Full Version : Now it's Evernote hacked...

Chikara
03-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi all

Don't know if many other people here use Evernote, but they were recently hacked and overnight have forced all users to do a change of password because Usernames, email addresses, and encrypted passwords were exposed (but supposedly not content).

http://evernote.com/corp/news/password_reset.php

They are trying to play it down, saying password encryption measures etc are robust.
But to me this isn't really the point - why are so many systems of large companies these days getting successfully hacked, right down to accessing this level and sensitivity of data, to start with? Surely there should be two of three layers of security before sensitive information like this could even be obtained?

I know hacking *attempts* cannot ever be stopped. But surely if companies have robust systems, and keep their software updated and fully patched, then why do these attacks continue to successfully get data like this??
I wonder when the US will start to see a whole rash of lawsuits against companies for not doing enough to protect against these breaches.

Lucky for me I had no sensitive data on Evernote, but that's not the point. Although admittedly I do use my Evernote password on some other sites too.

Jen
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
:eek:

Thanks for the heads up.

I did get a 'authentication error' message this morning on my PC. I haven't logged back into Evernote yet. I hope the wanna-be hackers enjoy reading my shopping lists. :rolleyes:

Chikara
03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
They did send an email to users too apparently, but in my case it was sitting in my Spam folder.
I find it ironic that their email provided a clickable link (and not even a 'clean' link) which is exactly what people recommend *not* to do to avoid phishing! (and is probably why the email was flagged as Spam)...

Jen
03-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I never got that email. Just got the password changed confirmation email OK.

Chikara
03-03-2013, 05:06 PM
The email is identical to what they posted on their webpage.
But the first I knew of a problem is when I had a sync error. At first I thought it was just an intermittent issue but decided to check their home page for a service outage just to make sure, that's when I realised.
But reading various forums, many other people also are saying their never received an email either.
I only usually check my Spam folder once a week, so it's lucky I checked their website and saw.

SanChippy
05-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks, now I know why Hojoki - a web app I use that links together all of my other web apps - needed me to reconnect Evernote to it.
:)

WarNox
05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Weird, mine came up with the error last night (Monday) saying that my passport expired. Didn't get an email though.

I do not keep any sensitive data on there so not too worried but would be rather gutted if it all disappeared overnight. Might actually look to save a local copy now.