PDA

View Full Version : Creating our own "Buzz" questions - Video effects / powerpoint question

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

We're doing a quiz night for the local Youth Group and wanting to do a "Buzz-style quiz" where we have both the question and the answer slowly appearing, and then when the team "Buzzes", we'll have somebody pause it and stop it from showing anything additional, they try and answer, and if they fail, we carry on having a little more reveal.

The way they do it in Buzz is they'll start with the left-most letter and almost have it appear like it's being "typed", each line in tandem.

Does anybody know a good way to do this? I was thinking Powerpoint initially, but I don't believe we can "pause" it as it's doing the transition, so I began to think "video" (Coz I can hit the pause button and halt the playback and have it frozen then on-screen), but I don't know how to do that in anything like Windows Movie Maker etc

Any suggestions much appreciated

Cheers

Chill.

plod
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM
My son does these sorts of transitions in iMovie, you could make each question a separate clip and just line them up. Pretty sure other program's will be equally capable.
Son says its just a title.

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Only problem is I don't have a Mac, only Windows / Linux, and I haven't seen how to do it in Live Movie Maker :(

wainuitech
03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Did something Similar with a powerpoint YEARS ago, back in 97-98 I think it was.

Its been a while, but if using power point, you could put in the word, using the transitions (from memory) each click of the mouse (or remote if you have one setup) brings in the next letter etc.

Lets say the word was

Bridge.

1click = B Appears, next Click = R Appears ( so you would have BR) third click i appears etc

plod
03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
What about DVD authoring software, like Nero. Must do titles of some sort

kingdragonfly
03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
There's a product called "Torque 2d" from Garagegames for $99. It has a scripting language, that could easily handle this, plus add some cool interactive effects.

It would be a good intro to game design.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d

A less attractive solutions is using Microsoft Visual Studio. A DotNet Windows program could easily "type" one letter at a time, from a list of questions and answers.

You need

* two labels, with word-wrap turned on, and large fonts.

* a simple answer_question object

properties: answer string, question string, both_are_complete boolean flag

method passed current integer pointer, and returns left most characters. It also set "both_are_complete" if pointer is greater than both string lengths.

* a list collection of the answer_question object.

You use the form's timer event to append one character at a time once a second to each label.

When both labels are populated, both_are_complete, sleep for a few seconds, and go to the next question.

Either way, the program output could be recorded to DVR.