PDA

View Full Version : PC Fix It

lostsoul62
03-03-2013, 07:41 AM
My main PC has the usual PC problems. Nothing major, just a head cold. So I get all these PC fix my computer whatever advertisements like everyone else, so I use their software because it's free and it fixes 6 items and tells me if I want to fix other 1500 items buy our software. I use anti-virus and malware software and of course a firewall. So would it do me any good to get a software that tunes up your PC and if so which one? If anything goes wrong I can always do a roll back or put back my backup image. I never bothered to use any such software but in this day and age I figure I'll ask for advise?

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2013, 07:43 AM
I wouldnt bother with those programs. Most of them fake. And do nothing at all. If you can tell us what the prob is, we may find a way of fixing it. I wouldnt use reg cleaners either. If it deletes the wrong thing, you'll be reinstalling windows

wainuitech
03-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I wouldnt bother with those programs. Most of them fake. And do nothing at all. If you can tell us what the prob is, we may find a way of fixing it. I wouldnt use reg cleaners either. If it deletes the wrong thing, you'll be reinstalling windows

+1 on that.

Many of those programs can cause more problems than they fix. Windows has a lot of inbuilt tools that can be used to fix general, and no so general problems.
When a specific problem arises a certain piece of software relating to the problem may help, but these all in one fix-its - forget it.

PPp
03-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Use CCleaner every so often, scan and defrag ditto, plus scan with your AV and malware scanners on a regular basis. Keep software up to date, have good backups is all good maintenance. Any particular problems, well that what F1 is for!

dugimodo
03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't use these programs either.
It doesn't hurt occasionally to go through the add remove programs list and remove any software you no longer use or didn't mean to install.

lostsoul62
04-03-2013, 03:45 AM
I've been using computers for over 20 years and I never used one of those so called PC tune ups. That's why I posted the question because as times changes I thought that someone might come up with something that's good. Now my question is would CCleaner be worth using? I also do what was mentioned. I take good care of my PC's but sometimes they can act a little screwy like programs not responding.

lostsoul62
04-03-2013, 04:57 AM
I tried to edit my last post but it won't let me or I don't know how so here is what I found. I put CCleaner on my computer and it put a ton of garbage on my PC, change my Home Page and wanted to delete things I need, it look like a mess to me so I deleted it and I still have all kinds of crap that it left on so I had to delete 3 or 4 programs I don't want after CCleaner was uninstalled. All software has tons of unwanted software and they sneak it on your PC weather you want it or not. But thanks for your input.

zqwerty
04-03-2013, 06:02 AM
This is the version you should have used:

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

Use the 2nd "Download@MajorGeeks link", that is the one I always use.

sk69ersnz
04-03-2013, 06:08 AM
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

Just updated mine and had no problems.

dugimodo
04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
It doesn't sneak anything on, you just have to pay attention rather than just clcking next, next, next, finish when installing. The same goes for most free sofware these days. It also doesn't delete anything you need but it can be a little annoying removing saved passwords etc so you have to type them in again, probably a good thing from a security standpoint. You can always go through the list and untick things you don't want it to remove. Unless of course you got a bogus program and not the real one. In any case it's a just a better version of what windows does when you use the built in tools to clean up drive space so you can always just do that if you don't like Ccleaner.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
You shouold have done a custom install / clicked on advanced. Otherwise it may / or will install chrome

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2013, 03:21 PM
No thanks. All of them IMO are a waste of money and space

wainuitech
12-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Those programs are a total waste of money.

You only have to look at some of the stupid "comments" to see that:

PC Cleaner saved me from purchasing a new computer. It was well worth the investment.

Since when do you have to buy a new computer simply because it gets a bit slow from junk files etc, a simple reinstall will fix that- and at a fraction of the cost even if you cant do it yourself :groan:

PeterQ
12-03-2013, 04:13 PM
+1 I downloaded pc fixit by mistake instead of the microsoft version and got into a bit of trouble with it, yes dont bother with that rubbish

Jayess64
12-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I would go along with most of the comments here, although I have never had a problem with Ccleaner. I used to use SystemSuite and then Ashampoo Winoptimizer, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now. They rip through your PC and tell you they have "Solved 5000 problems", and leave you with just one - your system won't work.

I'm not much of a fan of a "simple" re-install, though. Sure, it works, but after spending months tweaking the system and the applications to get them running the way you want, starting all over again isn't much fun, not to mention all the serial numbers and activation keys, and forgetting to deactivate applications before wiping them (Adobe, please note!). Keeping regular OS image backups will protect against disasters but doesn't address the gradual clogging up problem. But how much of a problem is it, really? My wife's laptop is used daily and hasn't needed a Windows re-installation in 3 years. My desktop ran for 2 years until I decided to upgrade the motherboard and discovered where Hell is. I have found that simple things like a regular defrag and cleanup of superfluous files (yes, using Ccleaner!) is all that's needed.