PDA

View Full Version : Office 2013 Volume licence activation issues

Sabre
02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I support a small charitable society and recently received a disk of Office 2013 from the Microsoft Donation programme. There are two disks in the pack. The Web App Server disk says a product key is required and there is a sticker with a product key on the back of the packet. I don't need that one.

The important one is the Office 2013 Standard disk and it says Volume Licensing Key is required. There is no sticker and I usually get MAK licence keys from the Volume Licensing Service Center webpage. However Office 2013 is not listed there, nor is there any mention of the latest donation. I have emailed Techsoup NZ, and rung the Microsoft support telephone (India) without anyone understanding what I was talking about. Searching the microsoft website takes one round and round in circles and there is nowhere to contact a support person by email. Why has Microsoft changed a perfectly usable system?

Does anyone seeing this know how to get the MAK Volume licence keys for Office 2013 Standard? Do I have to get on the telephone to India again?

Sabre

wainuitech
02-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Have you read the following, may or may not help

Step 1 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ee624357.aspx

Step 2 if needed http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624355.aspx

Sabre
03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes I have read both of those. The problem I have is that I do not have the MAK key which is what I usually use (not the KMS key. I usually get it from The Volume Licensing Service Centre but Office 2013 is not listed there. I tried the generic volume licence key in the website you list (Step2) and it gave me a green tick so I thought it would be OK. However even after rebooting it says the software is unlicensed. I will try the 0800 number they list for NZ for activation on Monday, but I think it is the same one that took me to India where the guy at the other end barely understood english let alone understood what I was asking. he promised to ring back but never did.

Where do you get your MAK keys?

wainuitech
03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
In the past I have gotten them From Ingram Micro, once purchased takes a few of days to appear on MS's site. The ones I have gotten have been for Charity organizations -- I go to https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx Sign in, go to Licences / Relationship Summary, select the organization required, and theres the keys. Mind you just looked, none of them are licensed for 2013, only 2010 & earlier.

try calling ingram, at least you'll speak to a NZ person, they work closely with Microsoft, so tell them whats happened and they may be able to sort it out. IGMContactUs (http://nz.ingrammicro.com/Pages/IGMContactUs.aspx)

Geek4414
03-03-2013, 06:44 PM
This is the email from MS when I ordered a charity licence for Office 2013 ... not sure if this would help ...

Welcome!

Congratulations on your newly accepted Open License with Microsoft, ending in xxxxx. You have been assigned Administrator permissions on the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) site.

In order to access the VLSC site with the permissions that have been assigned to you, you must first register and validate your business e-mail address, which was provided to Microsoft by xxyyzz LTD when your contract or order was submitted. To begin registration, click the link below. When prompted, enter your business e-mail as shown below:

Begin Registration: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/registration.aspx?e=xxx@yyy.org.nz

Required Business E-mail: xxx@yyy.org.nz

Type of new Licensing ID: OPEN

On VLSC registration is complete, you will be able to:

Download licensed software
Retrieve keys for Volume Licensing software
View Microsoft licensing details for your organization
Manage Software Assurance benefits
Manage Online Services entitlements
Manage subscriptions, including MSDN and/or TechNet
Assign others in your organization to do any of the above tasks—or to also be an Administrator.
Also, within selected regions, VLSC enables the direct purchase of media kits from the Software Download Catalog.

Once you are registered, you may add any individual to your VLSC account to help manage your licenses or perform other tasks at any time. To do so, please visit the My Permissions link to view all details related to your VLSC permissions settings. Also visit Frequently Asked Questions in the Help section to learn more about what you can do in the Volume Licensing Service Center.

Your new access permissions to VLSC may take up to 2 hours to become effective.

Thank you,

The Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center Team

Sabre
03-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks. I thought I had already done all that. I have an Open Licence. Do you mean I have to do a new registration each time? I got the email from Microsoft telling me how much the donation was worth, and saying I needed to register. I disregarded it as I had already done all that.

Maybe this is why the latest donations are not showing on the VL Service Center webpages.

Do you see Office 2013 in your list, with the options to download and keys?

Sabre

Geek4414
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks. I thought I had already done all that. I have an Open Licence. Do you mean I have to do a new registration each time? I got the email from Microsoft telling me how much the donation was worth, and saying I needed to register. I disregarded it as I had already done all that.

Maybe this is why the latest donations are not showing on the VL Service Center webpages.

Do you see Office 2013 in your list, with the options to download and keys?

Sabre

Yes, but only after I register. Before that I can only see the charity licence for another organisation I look after. Once registered, both are then listed and I can proceed to download and obtain the key for this new organisation.

Sabre
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I found the original emails from Microsoft from a month ago and they again led me around in circles. However I found that in My Permissions I could insert the Licence number and the authorization number and submit it for review by an administrator. I actually have a disk for 20 copies of Office 2013 Standard and on disk for Access 2013. Almost immediately I have had a response. So will keep you posted.

Sabre
05-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Today's update. Access 2013 has appeared in my list of Downloads and keys so I now have a MAK key for it. Now waiting for the Office 2013 Standard listing to appear. In the My Permissions page there is still a note in red to say Pending permission request. So it looks as if Microsoft omitted to list my permissions. I can not think why they have changed the system. It worked before.

zqwerty
07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Microsoft to now allow Office 2013 PC license transfers once every 90 days

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-now-allow-office-2013-pc-license-transfers-once-every-90-days

wainuitech
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Keep in mind that only the RETAIL, as stated in the actual release from Microsoft.

Updated transferability provision to the Retail License Terms of the Software License Agreement for Microsoft Office 2013 Desktop Application Software:

zqwerty
07-03-2013, 11:12 PM
More:

http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/microsoft-loosens-office-2013-licensing-shackles/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RSS%2Ftech+%28eWEEK+Technolog y+News%29

zqwerty
09-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Microsoft cuts the price of Windows 8 and Office 2013 to overcome slow adoption:

http://www.wincert.net/news/software/3663-microsoft-cuts-the-price-of-windows-8-and-office-2013-to-overcome-slow-adoption

bk T
09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Microsoft, why launch something when you're not ready? :D

Expected results from incorrect decisions by the top management! :D

nmercer
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Microsoft, why launch something when you're not ready? :D

Expected results from incorrect decisions by the top management! :D

what's not ready?

wainuitech
09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
what's not ready? People are not prepared to change to new layouts. :)

bk T
09-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Sales figures speak for themselves. :)

bk T
09-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Intel CEO reportedly claims Windows 8 is being released before it's ready. Story here (http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3407374/intel-ceo-reportedly-claims-windows-8-is-being-released-before-its).

Windows 8 No Better Than Vista, Says Samsung Exec. Story here (http://allthingsd.com/20130308/windows-8-no-better-than-vista-says-samsung-exec/?mod=tw_bedtime&utm_source=buffer&buffer_share=e428e).

wainuitech
09-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Sorry but those linked articles basically say nothing. They make claims that Windows 8 is as bad as Vista ( hollow statement really). Apart from the only item mentioned is the start screen (touch) is no good for a desktop.

Its easy to say something is not ready but what ? it doesn't actually say. :groan:

Maybe if they actually listed the "not ready Items" I would agree but they don't.

Its the same as people saying something is rubbish then asking exactly what and 99% of the time they cant.

The New Start screen is not really a problem. When you use it like its designed to be used its actually a lot quicker than the old one, and certainly a lot cleaner and customisable.

I've personally taught several people how to make the best of it, and so far all have said its better when you get used to it.

All that being said I will quote myself " People are not prepared to change to new layouts"

Windows Blue (9) is rumoured to be out later this year - so will be interesting to see what's changed. Many sources, and its easy to find simply search for "Windows Blue" State that Microsoft could be bringing out yearly changes to the OS's ( similar to Ubuntu 6 monthly) -- So if it actually happens, if people don't keep up they will be finding it even harder.

Since this thread is actually about Office 2013
Still having fun finding all the new "tricks" it can do, certainly its integrated more to online activity. About the only thing I don't like about it is the new lack of colour and "flatness" of the Ribbon.

bk T
09-03-2013, 10:34 PM
As I said earlier, Sales Figures Speak for themselves.

If Windows Blue (9) is rumoured to be out later this year, it proves further that Win 8 is a failure - just like Vista and ME.

wainuitech
09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Not really -- Did you actually read ALL the remarks in the Samsung article ? If you did you would see the article is a load of rubbish. and it was dated September 2012 - Before W8 actually came out.

Once again apart from the touch Screen on a desktop no one is actually says whats NOT ready -- So to quote nmercer -Whats not ready - ( and don't point to hollow articles).

Provide Facts please.

May I also remind you Windows 7 is built from Vista, so please point out ANY "New" OS that is perfect 1st time without ANY problems ;)

Looking at the articles linked. Read what they actually say:

"Paul Otellini has reportedly told staff "

Update: Intel has issued a statement to us about the comments. "Our internal employee meetings are private and we don’t disclose details on what may or may not have been said," says a spokesperson. "We continue to see Windows 8 as a significant opportunity across the board and are excited at our prospects in new form factors like Ultrabooks, tablets and convertibles."

So the whole article can be a load of Bull S***T and hear say.

From Samsung Article:

PC makers clearly blew it as well by failing to release hardware that capitalized on Windows 8’s strengths.

Basically there's no other actual facts about why W8 wasn't ready. ( as I said before Point Please list them - facts not personal opinion)

There has been a steady decline in Desktop PC's, nothing to do with W8, if it were then why has the decline been happening when W7 was the "latest" OS.

So sorry but lack of sales is not a reason either. Its more to do with a interest / Advance in devices such as Tablets, touch phones etc and a global recession .

If Windows Blue (9) is rumoured to be out later this year, it proves further that Win 8 is a failure - just like Vista and ME.

Nope that doesn't prove anything - as mentioned earlier look it up, and you'll see MS are rumoured to be bringing out alterations more than the Past 3 year cycle. MS know the competition do it more ( Ubuntu 6 monthly) so they really have to as well.

3 years is to long with todays rapid changes. If MS do bring out more changes ( yearly) then every thing produced would be a failure according to your comment.

bk T
09-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Sales figures.

Market decides success or failure.

bk T
09-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Perception. It's hard to change one's perception. Very hard, indeed.

So, let figures do the talking. :)

wainuitech
09-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Global recession -- Theres a figure and cause.

Still be interested in seeing the list of actual facts that W8 wasn't ready ;)

Going by the previous reasons given that W8 wasn't ready,MS when they bring out W9 should blow W7 out the water, global recession or not.

Heres a Fact - I can do things quicker on this W8 than W7 --- Same PC, same Programs installed, only difference is the OS. -- So the question is Why ?

bk T
10-03-2013, 12:02 AM
OK. I'm trying to draft an email to Intel's CEO but, will he bothered to reply me? LOL :)

bk T
10-03-2013, 09:26 AM
To conclude:

If you think that OS #1 suits you and you like it so much, buy and use it, and,
if you think that OS #2 suits you better and you like it more, then, go and buy OS #2 and use it.

And, if you encounter a problem go and find a solution, good luck.

Simple as ABC. :)

wainuitech
10-03-2013, 10:03 AM
That's exactly what I do, set a OS up to work how I want it. Every one does that Generally, could be simple as adding in a shortcut to a commonly used program etc, alter timing ( screen savers for example.)

Personally I don't know anyone who runs a OS exactly how it comes from a fresh install. Add a shortcut or install a program and its changed ;)

Just because a layout is different doesn't mean its not ready - could be improved, sure and no doubt they will change something, only time will tell.

nmercer
10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
As I said earlier, Sales Figures Speak for themselves.

I really can't understand why you think that a future unreleased version of Windows coming out at some point in the future proves that the currently shipping version is a failure

no one has said that Windows "Blue" is Windows "9"

What would be a failure is if Microsoft wasn't already working on the future version of Windows, even before Windows 8 came out

Just like they were working on Windows 7 before Windows Vista came out

bk T
10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
It's a complete waste of time in debating whether W8 is a success or failure.

Just let the sales figures and market demand do the talking. You may think that it's an excellent product (that's fine, I respect your views) and I may think otherwise.

Case closed.

Sabre
16-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Today's update. Access 2013 has appeared in my list of Downloads and keys so I now have a MAK key for it. Now waiting for the Office 2013 Standard listing to appear. In the My Permissions page there is still a note in red to say Pending permission request. So it looks as if Microsoft omitted to list my permissions. I can not think why they have changed the system. It worked before.

Finally figured it out. In the Volume Licensing Service Center website under Licences and Licence Summary you click on Add Open License and enter the Autorization Number and License Number which you got in the email. Simple when you know how.

Not the most intuitive pathway for me as an experienced IT manager and a nightmare for less tech savvy NGO organisations. Microsoft have made it difficult with convoluted explanations, where an explanation explaining the pathway in simple language would have been helpful. Pity the administration people did not bother to answer my queries. I think back to the early Apple instructions which made complicated things appear simple.

wainuitech
16-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes Some of these companies seen to have some strange logic to make things hard to find.

Guess its to easy to say Go to Sign in - then clear and easy to find options you want.