PDA

View Full Version : connecting a second computer to router

PPp
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
I am running a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, with Gargoyle firmware on Windows XP, all good. I do have a problem with a second machine running with our TV, Windows7, it will not connect automatically and, in addition says the cable between the computer and the router is disconnected, LAN has a red cross. I disconnected the cable and used it on the other(XP) computer and it runs fine. I cannot test the W7 computer as it is ten meters fron the router and I only have one cable that length. Everything seem OK in the device manager.
I know very little about networking, though I did find a site which showed how to set up IP settings to connect but that did not work. Any ideas anyone?
Oh yes the light on the router associated with W7 connection is slowley blinking on and off.

NetworkDropout
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
What about setting the speed and duplex manually on the PC that is not connecting properly? You should be able to find it in the advanced settings of your network adapters properties.

http://www.uwyo.edu/askit/displaydoc.asp?id=4061

Try setting it to 1000Gbps Full Duplex, if that doesn't work try 100mbps

CYaBro
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Has it worked before?
If windows 7 doesn't have any network card drivers installed then it will show the network as being disconnected.
So you may need to check the LAN card drivers. Is there a network card listed in device manager? If not check that it is enabled in the bios.

PPp
02-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for your answers. I reset the adapters for both computers to 100mbps Full Duplex ( max for XP computer) still no connection, both computers were set to auto negotiation. I had a DSL connection with Orcon and the connection worked well, but has not reestablisded with Netsmart and the use of a router alone to connect to the WiMax signal. It did occur to me that I had changed the default settings in the router (suggested by Chill ) which might stop the W7 being able to see the router?

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
If you right-click on the icon in the systray and go to Network and Sharing Center. Then click on the Local Area Connection. Take a screenshot and post it.

PPp
02-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Icon is greyed out clicking says Not connected-No connections available.

In Network and Sharing Centre there is no Local Area Connection
From the top:
Home PC----X-----Internet

Set up a New Connection or Nerwork
Connect to a network
Choose a Homegroup & Sharing Options
Troubleshoot

Just noticed there is a flashing light on the router corresponding to the cable connectig this computer.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Is the led flashing on the NIC? Sounds like its dead / disabled. Or there's no drivers for it

PPp
02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
The adapter is built in to the motherboard, so not sure on flashing light, Device manager says its working OK.

dugimodo
02-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Icon is greyed out clicking says Not connected-No connections available.

In Network and Sharing Centre there is no Local Area Connection
From the top:
Home PC----X-----Internet

Set up a New Connection or Nerwork
Connect to a network
Choose a Homegroup & Sharing Options
Troubleshoot

Just noticed there is a flashing light on the router corresponding to the cable connectig this computer.

To the left there's a panel, chose change adapter settings and that'll take you to the screen with Local area connection on it.

You say you only have one long cable but what about moving either the router or the pc temporarily and seeing if a shorter cable works. You should geen a solid green light on the lan connection if everything is working right.
Are all your connections gigabit capable or are some of them 100M only? A cable with 4 wires connected will work for 100M but you need all 8 for gigabit and if both ends are gigabit capable they won't automatically step down to 100M with missing wires - setting it manually like you have should have sorted that one though. I used to use a 100M switch in the lounge to make my old PC work over a 4 wire cable.

Cato
02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
I cannot test the W7 computer as it is ten meters fron the router and I only have one cable that length.

Why not move the router?

You don't need it to be connected to ADSL/phone-line to be able to connect to the router itself.

PPp
02-03-2013, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=Cato;1149607]Why not move the router?]
I'd still need the long cable I am using at the moment to not connect, just to shift the router up the line. ADSL/phone does not come into it as the connection is WiMax.

PPp
02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Dugimodo,
Thanks for that, not too famliar with W7, as it is SWMBOs MM computer, I just built it set it up and left it to her(with occasional maintenance). I am also not too familiar with screenshots either, especially on a non-connected computer, too steep a learning curve at the moment I'm afraid. So here's my summary:

Realtec PCIe GB Family Controller

Connections(All ticked)

Client for MS Networks(ticked but greyed out)
QoS
File & Print Sharing
IPV6
IPV4
Link layer io Driver
Link Layer Responder

Thats it.

Cato
02-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I'd still need the long cable I am using at the moment to not connect, just to shift the router up the line. ADSL/phone does not come into it as the connection is WiMax.

Why?
I don't understand.

Do you not have any power points?

It doesn't matter what you are using, the point of this is to see if you can connect to the router with a shorter cable. Your connection to the internet being irrelevant for this test, just connectivity between the machine and the router.

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2013, 08:41 PM
^^ Cato is right, at the very least it should then come up that you have "Limited Connectivity" to prove that your longer cable was faulty.

PPp
02-03-2013, 09:05 PM
^^ Cato is right, at the very least it should then come up that you have "Limited Connectivity" to prove that your longer cable was faulty.
Correct indeed . Thank you Cato & Chill. Every thng clicked into place once the router was connected. I Got a bit off base when it worked on the xp machine @ 100mbps but not on both together.
Nice to get it sorted.