PDA

View Full Version : Win 8 Printer "Low Toner" warning.

Jeff
01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know how to turn off the "Low Toner" warning that Win 8 brings up everytime you print, when your printer is running low?
:help:

DeSade
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Do you ignore the oil light on your car too? :D

wainuitech
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Replace the Toner :p

My lasers do the same thing, you'll find they can go for quite a while when the warning appears, depends on how much printing you do. Sooner or later they will simply stop as the safety kicks in and kills it till the toner is replaced.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Or if it has firmware updates, update it. It may fix it. Some firmware updates do fix this message on some printers

Jeff
01-03-2013, 09:09 PM
How about just answering the question!!!

Or was it too complicated for you.

None of your replies are anywhere near helpful.

The Error Guy
01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
I think you'll find the answers are helpful - to a point. Check for an update in the firmware (which will reduce the frequency of the LT warning - eg so it shows up once every 200 print jobs as a reminder, as opposed to every print job) or just replace the toner.

Albeit the don't specifically answer the question at hand in the OP, but we're just trying to be helpful :)

What printer is it? There might help:

For HP - http://www.ehow.com/how_5804151_stop-message-hp-laser-printer.html
For Dell - http://www.ehow.com/how_7371920_turn-dell-toner-level-indicator.html

Have a look at the above, see if your printer has anything similar available

wainuitech
01-03-2013, 09:58 PM
How about just answering the question!!!

Or was it too complicated for you.

None of your replies are anywhere near helpful. How about asking the question correctly then.

No ones a mind reader, you didn't mention what printer, brand or model, only on Windows 8. Doesn't matter what OS, its the printer & its software.

Its throwing up a message because the toner for what ever printer you have is getting to the point of triggering low toner.

So basically you got the answers back relating to the lack of information YOU supplied.

Firmware upgrades may or may not help, one of my lasers has been throwing up that message for months now, -- and guess why - one of the colour toners is almost empty, and it has the latest firmware, and no option to disable the warning.

Billy T
01-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I have found that you can often stop the warning for a useful period of time by taking the cartridge out, then while keeping it upright, doing a mild corkscrew rotation with occasional gentle shaking-down to even out the toner.

Incidentally, it isn't Win 8 that brings up the warning, the OS couldn't give a toss about your toner status, it is the printer driver telling you to wake up and smell the roses!

However, and to paraphrase DeSade, warning lights are there for a reason. They are intended to warn you of an impending event i.e. invisible printing.

Best you go buy a new cartridge now, you can't say you haven't been warned!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :2cents:

Jeff
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
The problem is NOT with the printer, or I would have mentioned it.

All I want to know is how to turn off the "Low Toner" message that Win 8 pops up when it prints.

How is knowing what the printer is or specs of the PC going to help in answering this question.

This thing is a feature of the operating system, all I want know is HOW TO TURN THE MESSAGE OFF.

It looks like none of you have seen this message and are failing to understand the question.

So tell me how doing things to the printer turns off this feature in Win 8?

wainuitech
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
This thing is a feature of the operating system,
Its nothing to do with the OS Directly. Its the printer software.

I have XP, W7 and W8 and Linux and ALL will show a low toner warning if a print job is sent to the laser that has low toner.

My black laser did the same on all 4 OS's changing the toner and all stopped.

How is knowing what the printer is or specs of the PC going to help in answering this question

If you were to do a google search you'll find every reply all points towards the printers software or the printers sensors within the printer. Knowing the type and model, someone may be able to or have the same software and point you to where the setting may or may not be in the PRINTERS SOFTWARE.

Heres an example: Windows-8/Cannot-turn-off-warning-message-about-toner-cartridge (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/Cannot-turn-off-warning-message-about-toner-cartridge-Color/td-p/235618) If you notice, they mention the Tool box software - which is HP's software - nothing to do with Windows 8.

If you want the location of your printers software in in the control panel. from the start menu/screen, simply type Control Panel - search will show it, then its under Devices and Printers. BUT even if there is a setting all its going to do is delay the purchase of a new toner for a short while.

The warnings are there for a reason - when the toner gets to low the printer will simply stop printing, so one day you wont be able to print - reason toner to low.

Heres a question: When the toner runs out do you think just because it may not be warning you that it will still keep Printing ?

Bit like your car, disable the low petrol warning light - the car will stop when the petrol is gone. Nothing to do with the car its self - no petrol = no go ;)

wainuitech
01-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Here a another example - Dell Printer - read it, and you'll see it advises the Printer Software, NOT the actual OS as it mentions XP, Vista and W7 ( number 5) - ( W8 will be the same) http://www.ehow.com/how_7371920_turn-dell-toner-level-indicator.html

Jeff
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
The printer monitoring software that comes with the driver is turned off. I know it when I see it. I have been dealing with this product for many years.
This is a Win 8 generated message.
Even the persons, whose pc this is happening on, IT person reckons it is Win 8 generated. But he does not how to turn it off.
Like most us he has not seen a lot of Win 8 PCs.

So the question I originally posed on how do I turn off the "Low Toner" message in Win 8 is correct.

If none of you know how do to this, don't bother answering the question.
The only other answer I can see as helpful would be telling me of 3rd party software that does this on Win 8, so that it can be removed.

I should point out I have been connecting printers/copiers, etc to Networks, PCs and Macs for well over 15 years.I know the difference between what is generated by the printer software and by the operating system. Going by some IT professionals I have met. I know more about Printers on networks etc, than they do.

So you can see why I have found your answers unhelpful.
I asked a specific question about about a message that Win 8 produces. All I want to know if I can turn this message off.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Well if you dont like the replies we've given, dont ask. Go to the manufacturer's site and ask them. Or ring / ask MS

The Error Guy
02-03-2013, 01:17 PM
To specifically answer your question, exactly as asked " turn off the "Low Toner" warning that Win 8 brings up everytime you print, when your printer is running low" You should:

A) Replace the Toner
B) Replace the Toner
C) Throw the printer from a strategic high window - not the 8 type - the glass type. To prevent damage to windows you should open it up, rather than shut it down ;)

I take no responsibility from any other errors related to "booting your printer through windows"

Serious part though - The printer detects low toner, the printer reports a low toner level. The host driver interprets the information. The host then, will take on board the information and carries out appropriate action as specified by the driver. It may well be that windows 8 now has a low toner warning as part of the native stack, and therefore it would cause an previously unseen error.

I recommend looking for a driver update that is Win8 compatible, which might reduce the frequency of the warning. Please contact the printer manufacturer for help (or M$) or at leasr tell us the printer model so we can actually help. You're not helping yourself you know!

Jeff
02-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I give up.
I am not going to bother putting anymore queries on this forum.
It is a waste of time.
I have better things to do than try and educate you lot.

I asked a specific question.
I would have accepted "I don't know".

There use to be a time when you got sensible answers, but that does not seem to be the case anymore.

Going elsewhere to get the answer.
:mad:

bk T
02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Looks like you are the one to be educated!

The Error Guy
02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Link us up if you find a better solution :) I'd genuinely like to see the "answer"

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Well with that attitude, Ill be surprised if anyone will bother answering your question!

The Error Guy
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Half the fun in seeing an answer to the question on another forum will be seeing how much of our advice he listened to or ignored :D

it will either go exactly like this, nearly word for word or He'll included some helpful details as recommended and get a vaguely helpful answer.

wainuitech
02-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I should point out I have been connecting printers/copiers, etc to Networks, PCs and Macs for well over 15 years.I know the difference between what is generated by the printer software and by the operating system. Going by some IT professionals I have met. I know more about Printers on networks etc, than they do.
Well if that's the case then you obviously don't know much either.

Heres a hint - Windows 8 and windows 7 are almost identical relating to printers so if youi know so much then you figure it out. "if" there is such a setting its well and truly hidden.

SO where then is the setting in Windows XP , Vista And Windows 7 ?

Old story Prove it.

wainuitech
02-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Right found what you are going on about, they are called Toast Notifications, if you disable them they can effect other operations.

Where you went wrong in the description is you didn't describe them correctly as to the locations and what interface you were on. People here were answering your request going on the information you gave - in complete and in accurate.

Read the following:Toast Notifications (http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/12602-how-do-i-turn-off-those-pesky-messages-upper-right.html) BUT also note the only comment by the Op - it didn't turn off the printer.

You can also try disabling them in the group Policy settings http://www.thewindowsclub.com/toast-notifications-windows-8

If you have 15 years of experience then really this shouldn't be to hard to look up an answer.

Re your previous post
Like most us he has not seen a lot of Win 8 PCs.
Speak for yourself or your IT friend. Many here have been working with Windows 8 since the first free beta came out, and work with it daily.

The person cant be much of a tech if they don't know how to look up an answer for a problem that's happening right in front of him/her.

Edited: just opened the notification area, took all of 2-4 seconds, there is no option for the printer - maybe the group Policy may do it. Keep in mind you will need W8Pro or above, the straight W8 similar to windows Home Pre doesn't have the option.

The Error Guy
02-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Very interesting for future use, thanks wainui.

I don't get such errors as all our printing is sent to a central print server which pushes the document to the respective printer, otherwise *perhaps* I might have been able to guess that the OP was referring to toast notifications.

wainuitech
02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Its interesting Error guy - Personally even when my black laser was low on toner I never got the toast Notifications on windows 8, its a networked Printer - the only message was the standard one we all have seen.

Since I better put the full answer, before we get asked how to open group policy in W8 :p

on the start screen, type in Group - on the right click settings, Select Edit Group Policy , navigate to settings as article advised

The Error Guy
02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
When connected to our Epson A2 Inkjets via network share (as opposed to directly networked) I never got any ink statuses. The Epson drive would bring up the ink levels during print, but the driver could never get an ink status over the network. The host PC was an apple, I'm thinking perhaps the apple drivers didn't send the status or the samba share was incapable of passing on this info. Either way, networked printers in my experience don't pass on very detailed info.

The most I can get is "Error" in which case I have to investigate to see if the printer is plugged in, turned on, connected to the computer, computer on, computer connected to network, printer ink OK, paper ok. Usually this isn't too hard (for the inks) because I'm in the same room as them, when I'm sending a document to the photocopier (700m away) grrreaaat. Luckily xerox have a nice web admin page for their copiers. Yay.

I haven't used 8 properly yet. I got a $20 upgrade key but have been plagued by HP's shitty drivers. I plan on setting it up one weekend and getting leshcats drivers running. I deleted my original install which I had on a 25GB partition on my HDD because it was too small. Even though my lappy takes 2x hdd's I can only use one because I need a micro/laptop sized SATA cable for the 2ndary HDD.... dunno where to get those from, esp not one long enough to reach. It looks about 6-8cm long (at a guess) most are 3cm long, going straight from the mobo to the HDD bay.

wainuitech
02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
PM coming :) Re the Cable.

All or Lasers are networked based Via Ethernet/Router. Makes it a lot easier than having to have one PC turned on to print to it.

The Error Guy
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Cheers for the PM, the lasers at keale are all networked (and standalone) although the moronic papercut software uses a centralized print server to send work to the appropriate printer. I just print direct, avoids the billing :D I guess some day the school will work out there's $5k in 'lost' printing costs somewhere :p

At Massey they use the same copiers and setup but with a much much nicer system. Not used it much, but it looks like a very smooth setup.

gary67
03-03-2013, 08:35 AM
I use a print server switch at home and here and get no status reports about my printer at all. It is connected by USB

Billy T
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Going elsewhere to get the answer. :mad:

If you had tried my tip on levelling out the residual toner, you would have found that the error message went away, it has worked every time for me through several laser printers over the years.

Anyway, I bet you get the same response wherever you land, this is the most tolerant and helpful site I know.

I'll also bet you can't resist coming back to pick up your dummy and to see whether anybody has noticed that you've left the building.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :devil

PaulMetz
21-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Jeff,

Go to your control panel, then devices and printers. Look at the menu items at the top and select Print server properties, select advanced, uncheck show info notifications for loal and network printers, select change advance settings, uncheck show info notifications for local and network printers, apply changes.

After I did this, I only received one more notification and then they stopped.

Paul

Billy T
22-03-2013, 03:59 PM
You are bit late Paul, Jeff has been M.I.A. for about three weeks now, ever since his toner ran out I guess. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)