PDA

View Full Version : Orcon as ISP

dpDesignz
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Hey Guys

Just wondering what any of your experiences with Orcon as an ISP is?

As of today I can get UFB, and Orcon have the best plans so far, but I want to know what they're like as an ISP according to you guys? So any heads up would be awesome! :D

Cheers

DeSade
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
*cracks knuckles and prepares for a rant*

Complete and utter ****!

Over the last 12 months they have turned into one of the worst ISP's in the country, I am in the process of leaving them.
The support is a joke, you rarely speak to anyone with passable English and as well as not understanding you they have NO idea how to help you.
Also in my experience the speeds and reliability of the connections are in the toilet.

Now you are going to be using UFB so I doubt you will have the connection issues as this is new and flash, but the support is still a joke.
Your call.

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
^^ I'll second that notion. Haven't been impressed with their performance for the last 6-9 months now, they've really taken a turn for the worse if you ask me.

I'd personally suggest looking for alternatives.

Richard
01-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Been using Orcon now for a couple of years since they bought igrin in Northland. Have had no problems with them at all, and any queries have been dealt with promptly an accurately. I have no complaints about speed, and have never been subject to a disconnection.

The Error Guy
01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
I, Personally have had no problems. I'm on UFB myself.... that being said, I have heard a LOT coming from others that suggests they are terrible. Given that I'd look for another ISP in the mean time, SNAP do UFB and have some very good plans. Had they been on the fibre loop when we got UFB we'd probably have gone with them.

wratterus
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Their support is balls and their international speeds are far below what they should be at the moment.

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Their support is balls and their international speeds are far below what they should be at the moment.

Yeah that basically summed up my experiences. Gave them like 6-7 weeks to fix a packet loss issue, they couldn't. Switched to 2talk, problem gone! Couldn't be happier!

In fact, I think 2talk may also be doing UFB, unofficially, they've kind of just soft-launched their DSL stuff.

JJJJJ
01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
If you don't need help, their connection and speed is good. The best I have found yet.
If you need help forget them. Their "experts" are pitiful. If you email them you will wait for a week for a reply.

dpDesignz
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback. :D. I've contacted my current ISP Actrix, and may just wait for them to get on board. :)

NetworkDropout
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
If you don't need help, their connection and speed is good. The best I have found yet.
If you need help forget them. Their "experts" are pitiful. If you email them you will wait for a week for a reply.

I remember going for a job interview at Orcon, needless to say I didn't get it. I'd go insane if their "experts" are that bad :P

paulw
02-03-2013, 08:55 AM
I gave up on Orcon as an ISP after 13 years last month as I couldn't get more that 30Gig unless I took their fone service. As I have a perfectly good Telecom and 2Talk landlines I declined and went to Telecom. Man these Thompson / Technicolor routers are junk.

mzee
02-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Being with Orcon was 12 months of hell. Always had issues with speed, latency. the phone. The worst thing was that if I sent them an email they would acknowledge it, eventually, then send an email saying that as the problem had been resolved the matter was now closed! On the few occasions when I managed to speak to a human he would be a novice. I am now with HD-connect and on the few occasions that I have sent them a message I always get a reply on the same day. I have had no problems with them using the same hardware and wiring.

advena
03-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Have been with Orcon for about 7 years and in the past have found them to be excellent in all areas. Just the last few months have had motre problems connecting to the help desk (not needed often, just a few odd occasions) and seldom get a NZ voice at the other end. Have several times had real problems communicating.
But otherwise have had no problems with their service and Genius modem.

linw
04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Reluctantly transferred from Telecom to Orcon last August as TC had no UFB plans. Like most ISPs, Orcon don't manage jobs like USB connections well (no one person responsible) and you certainly don't want to be talking to the outsourced help desk. But there are ways of getting good technical help from NZ based people via geekzone or Facebook.

That aside, I am on the 30/10 plan with voip via their genius modem and everything is going very well. Had teething problems but a genius firmware upgrade fixed the instability issues completely and international speeds were fixed last December.

To sum up, I am very pleased with my UFB experience ATM and am happier knowing I can get excellent help, if needed, via the 'backdoor'.

Just a point - no good taking note of people's experiences with ADSL speeds as UFB is totally different technology. I get 27.75Mbps down and 9 up to NZ servers.

Best wishes with your change.

paulw
04-03-2013, 11:58 AM
With Orcon I never had much problem with their internet service it was basically rock solid way better than I get now with this crappy Telecom supplied ADSL router. My old one I had on Orcon was not compatible with the Telecom ADSL / VDSL ports hence the new one. Will go this week and get a TP-Link from PBtech and see how that goes..

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
^^ Actually it is, just not compatible with their Genius VoIP service coz they only allow access from their preprovisioned Genius routers. But yeah the crappy internet will be the Thomson router.

Don't forget to grab yourself a Draytek DV120 to go with the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, as the WR1043ND is WiFi-only and uses the DSL from the Draytek to "get online". Well worth the investment!

paulw
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm going to get the TP-Link TD-W8960N 300M which seems to have a good write up. The Draytek DV120 appears to be out of stock at PB Tech,..

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Be interested to hear how you go?

It's OK, the national supplier of Drayteks which is in Albany just off Constellation Drive has a TON in stock. If you were to order one through pbtech, I'm sure they could get it in next-day for you.

wratterus
05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm going to get the TP-Link TD-W8960N 300M which seems to have a good write up. The Draytek DV120 appears to be out of stock at PB Tech,..

We sell truck loads of these, they are excellent for the price. Last week I had a lot of trouble with a few units, getting them to authenticate with Telecom though. No issues with other ISPs, and Telecom's helpdesk were adamant it was the modem at fault, which it blatantly wasn't.

paulw
05-03-2013, 12:28 PM
We sell truck loads of these, they are excellent for the price. Last week I had a lot of trouble with a few units, getting them to authenticate with Telecom though. No issues with other ISPs, and Telecom's helpdesk were adamant it was the modem at fault, which it blatantly wasn't.

Did you sort out the problem??

wratterus
05-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Sort of and sort of not...They are both authenticating now, but I'm not confident that if they were rebooted, they would authenticate first time. I love those modems, and I genuinely think Telecom is doing something stupid with their auth server that's causing problems, but actually getting to talk to someone that knows is impossible.

I would still buy the modem though. Unlikely you will have an issue. Otherwise get an Asus DSL-N12U.

kingdragonfly
05-03-2013, 03:08 PM
You can check out my thread here, if you wish. I lost my Internet connection for 22 days.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?128536-lost-Orcon-Fibre

Once I filed a written formal complaint, I did get first-class treatment.

I told the service manager that out-sourcing their help desk to the Philippines certainly made the experience worse.

DeSade
05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I have been assigned a "Customer Care Manager" to "manage" my departure.
They have come up with a stack of credits so far :)

8ftmetalhaed
05-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Aside from when I first joined them I've not had too many issues with them. They switched me to genius a while back and I joined a 2 year contract since it had a free house move included, which covers me in case I have to shift (which is possible) in the next while. In the past I was with vodafarts, and gave them the boot after they wanted to charge me 200 dollars to shift my connection. Not being able o go on a contract at a time due to a non fixed term lease, Orcon was the only ISP I could find that would give me a non contract plan, though it was $120 for 30gb with phone. Bit pricey but ohwell.

Now I get 200gb for 99 bucks with fair speeds despite their genius router (GOD I MISS MY NETCOMM... it's still sitting in the cupboard :( ) and haven't had to call their support more than once or twice.
I do know their support suck but other than that I haven't really had issues.

As soon as the contracts up or a really good deal shows up from another ISP though, I might consider moving. Because I can guarantee as soon as I have to contact their support things will go down the shitter.

linw
05-03-2013, 10:59 PM
I have been assigned a "Customer Care Manager" to "manage" my departure.
They have come up with a stack of credits so far :)

That's interesting. I wrote a critique of my UFB connect saying, amongst other things, that there has to be someone managing these events as haphazard toing and froing to a remote helpdesk just didn't work. It got passed up the line and even to the Chorus CEO. Maybe they are listening???

Maybe you could let us know how the Customer Care thingy worked.

DeSade
05-03-2013, 11:16 PM
That's interesting. I wrote a critique of my UFB connect saying, amongst other things, that there has to be someone managing these events as haphazard toing and froing to a remote helpdesk just didn't work. It got passed up the line and even to the Chorus CEO. Maybe they are listening???

Maybe you could let us know how the Customer Care thingy worked.

I have had issues for the last year and I am a very squeaky wheel.
So far he is handling the move so Orcon is not cut off till I am ready for the new one to come online (no downtime) and the bills are taken care of with the credits.
Keeping me informed via email (my choice) rather than phone and in a timely manner.

linw
06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Well, that sounds exactly how these things should be handled. But maybe it is only used for particularly squeaky wheels!! Funny that you get good service when leaving rather than joining, though!

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately I was the same. It was only AFTER I had left and taken the matter to the TDR that they came to the party. The chap who handles their TDR complaints was actually quite nice too.

DeSade
06-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, that sounds exactly how these things should be handled. But maybe it is only used for particularly squeaky wheels!! Funny that you get good service when leaving rather than joining, though!

As a last gasp I gave them a back-handed choice, deal with this internally and make my departure as painless as possible or I would take up my complaint with the TDR.
I have had **** speeds since late November, early December and I have had enough of the run around.

It helped that I still have phone numbers and email addresses from the last issue I had, made contact easier.