PDA

View Full Version : Security suite for Tablet

Sanco
28-02-2013, 05:49 PM
What are the options and which do you believe to be the more secure or 'robust' among the free offers? I have used Comodo internet security premium for the last two years on my pc and I can't fault it, and it is free. Unfortunately I don't think they make software for tabs yet.

plod
28-02-2013, 06:20 PM
The day you have to start running av on a tablet is day people will stop using them

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah contrary to what you may get told, you don't actually need:
Battery defenders
Antivirus
Security suites
Task managers

They're all a complete and utter waste!

Something that may be useful: droidlost.com

wainuitech
28-02-2013, 06:46 PM
We got Nod32 on SWMBO's Android, it stopped a download stating it was "com.nordcurrent. games101" ( A Variant of @ApplicUnwnt.Android/Leadbot.B)

McAfees Description: http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=850680#none

Basically Adware.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah lots of them have that kind of thing in them, AirPush for example, but it's easy to disable the ads if you're running Jellybean. Just tap and hold on the notification, go to App Info then untick "Show notifications". Sorted ;)

wainuitech
28-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Rather stop them getting on in the first place thanks.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Well technically they're just ads, they're not *actually* viruses, and it's how devs pay for games like that 101 in 1 games your wifey downloaded :D

Sanco
28-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Dunno, I thought that accessing the net would carry risks. Perhaps I am paranoid, but then I think of them days when my friends used to say to me: "get Mac and you won't need no firewall and virus scan" ... yeah, those were the days...

pcuser42
28-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I think of them days when my friends used to say to me: "get Mac and you won't need no firewall and virus scan" ... yeah, those were the days...

Yeah, never mind that they're holier than IE6 ;)

wainuitech
28-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Well technically they're just ads, they're not *actually* viruses, and it's how devs pay for games like that 101 in 1 games your wifey downloaded :D ;) that's why I mentioned adware, not a virus ( there is difference as we know) :p , what they can do :
shows ads related to other applications that may be interesting for the user but, at the same time, it is able to send sensitive information (brand, manufacturer, model, Android version, IP address, phone number and IMEI) to the remote server = Adware actions.

Sanco
01-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah, never mind that they're holier than IE6 ;)

My point exactly Pc:thumbs: That is the very reason that I decided to look for a suite that would offer protection, just in case. I am sure it won't be long before hackers and their dogs will develop ways to try getting into tabs, after all people also use them for cc transactions, accessing bank balances and all those activities that make mobile internet attractive. Furthermore, since I am going to italy in september and the tab will be my main way of communicating with my world over here and I would like some peace of mind.

I guess I'll do some more in-depth web research, but at first glance it seems there are a fair few of these unnecessary security suites for tablets.

dpDesignz
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
FYI, I use lookout. Is a really good app. Running Jellybean, but it's also available for iOS. :)

Sanco
01-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Thank you Dp, I have read good reviews on lookout and I think I may just go with that.
Thank you again bud.

dpDesignz
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Sweet as. :D. I love all their features, and personally, forking out $25 for a year subscription to their premium is so worth it so far. They have some awesome security features. :)