PDA

View Full Version : EftPos over Phone line with broadband

woc
27-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I have reciently changed my phone line / Broadband provider from Telecom to Flip. With mixed results. (Phone bill was starting to look like the national debt)
I can no longer use EFTPos over the line. Also they (Flip) are using CGNAT so it is not alowing me to do stuff on the internet that I could previously.
So I need to move on so I can get my EftPos up and working again.
Has anyone had any experence with Xnet and its Fusion system. They say that it will allow Eftpos over it so long as there is not much traffic.
I am becoming somwhat secptical about what Telcos say. And the worse part is I dont have enough in depth knowledge about the way telecomunications work.
This whole Eftpos system apears to me to be a bloody money making racket. With little tecnical infomation available and few alternatives available that are not expensive.
Anyone with suggestions would be welcome.

wratterus
27-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Thousands of people use standard eftpos over phone lines with DSL on them...

You don't have naked DSL? And everything is filtered properly?

If you eftpos machine is broadband capable, set it up that way, it's far quicker than the phone line and would solve this issue.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Are you running it over a phone line, or over an ATA adapter?

woc
27-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Ok maybe there is somthing wrong with my system. When I was with telecom I had to take out the filter. Inset the phone line then use it.
It worked ok then. If I tried to do it with the filter in. No Joy.
Now it wont work with either the filter in or out.
When I talked to the Tecnical support of EftPos NZ they told me that it would not work over a line with broadband. So I thought that I was 'Lucky" to get it to work at all"
Am I labouring under a multitude of disaranged ideas?:help:

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 06:12 PM
What plan do you have, a Naked DSL plan or not?

I would also strongly suggest you pay for a master filter to be installed.

woc
27-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I just have a standard phone line with broadband ADSL with an external filter on it. I have other outlets in the building but none in use.

When they did the switch over they changed the line that the system was using. Though I would not have thought that would have made a difference, but they had to come back and spent about a hour getting it to work. It appeared that they had problems at the exchange the setting up the ports.

wratterus
28-02-2013, 11:06 AM
It may be that there is something weird with your line.

As Chill suggested, a Master splitter is a great idea.

dugimodo
28-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Doesn't sound right do me. A standard phone line uses .3 - 3.4khz (nominally 4 khz) and these frequencies are what the filters seperate out from broadband. Any service that works on a standard phoneline should work regardless of whether broadband is using the higher frequencies or not.
You can even use dialup internet and broadband on the same line at the same time.

It almost certainly won't work over VOIP though due to compression etc. In telecom networks when voice is transmitted digitally it uses an uncompressed PCM signal @ 64 kbps (8 bit samples @ 8khz =64 kbps if you're interested) VOIP however uses modern compression techniques which will scramble data too much while not effecting voice quality.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah EFTPOS works over VoIP if you're using g711, but it's gotta be *solid* line conditions...

woc
28-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Ok thanks for the info.
I now also feel that there is somthing wrong with the wireing.
I brought back my eftpos home tonight and tried it out on my home line which has broadband as well without problems.
Following the information supplied I am going to install a master filter. Have ordered it and some gel connectors and they should arrive in the next few days and I will start at the main access point into the building then work my way back.
I striped out most of my other lines today and tried it without it working. So the only thing left is the master filter setup.
I appreciate the help. Once I am pointed in the right direction I can usually muddle my way forward.