PDA

View Full Version : Norton 360 good?

fishbone
27-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Im currently running norton 360 premier edition, is it true its the best anti virus software?

CYaBro
27-02-2013, 07:26 AM
No.

fishbone
27-02-2013, 07:39 AM
what the best one u can reccomend?

nedkelly
27-02-2013, 07:59 AM
ESET NOD32 Smart Security

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 08:31 AM
It's good at letting things through, if that counts? :D

I'll second nedkellys sentiments, though I stick with just the AV, not the security suite personally.

dugimodo
27-02-2013, 08:39 AM
NOD32 has been the recommendation around here for ages, and Norton has been possibly the least liked option even longer.

When you read reviews and comparisons you get a different impression however so I sometimes wonder how objective these opinions are.

A few techies whose opinion I value on this forum will tell you NOD32. Researching the reviews will tell you bitdefender, kaspersky, or Nortons. In the end you have to make a choice on who to trust.

Me I just use the free ones, they are not as good but wiping everything and starting over doesn't bother me if it comes to that so I'm not worried.

KarameaDave
27-02-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Then make up your own mind.

pcuser42
27-02-2013, 09:33 AM
"Norton" and "best" do not belong in the same sentence, or the same universe.

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Only thing Norton is good at is slowing down your computer and getting work for people who repair computers.

Just got a PC dropped of last night from a customer - had Norton INC - it was obvious when it starts up something is not right - removed Norton, just installed nod32 and as it was installing its picked up 8 active infections - and it hasn't even done a scan yet.

Zara Baxter
27-02-2013, 09:57 AM
To be the contrary one in the thread, I think Norton 360 is a fine security suite, and I ran it on my system for a year without any system slowdowns on my 6-year-old system. (I tend to cycle between AV solutions to keep tabs on how they are doing, currently using Avira and about to switch over to Trend Micro this year). If you're happy with it, and it hasn't caused slowdowns on your system, I don't see any major reason to change.

Most of the big name brands (f-secure, trend micro, eset, symantec, bitdefender, etc) have good (99%+) detection rates - as KarameaDave says, AV-comparitives is an independent test centre, but note that Symantec/Norton doesn't submit their products for testing there. AV-test is another independent testing organisation.

Products differ in how easy they are to use, and mostly that comes down to whatever you find suits you out of those products that get good detection rates.

A lot of the folks here love Eset and Nod32 (which is its lightweight antivirus product) for its speed and swear by its detection and cleaning capabilities. If you switch, and you needed any assistance, you'd certainly have people here happy to help you get the most out of it, which is a point in its favour.

[Disclaimer: Eset advertises with PC World every month. We use AV-test for our security suite test detection/cleaning results. We do get advertising from other security companies, but only rarely - if I could remember any from the last 12 months, I'd list them here...]

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 10:01 AM
To be the contrary one in the thread, I think Norton 360 is a fine security suite, and I ran it on my system for a year without any system slowdowns on my 6-year-old system
:O

Not sure if trolling or ..... :O

Zara Baxter
27-02-2013, 10:09 AM
:O

Not sure if trolling or ..... :O

You may notice how carefully I worded everything as my experience with it. I've purchased it for myself, for friends and for family before now. I eat my own dogfood in that regard.

I'm aware of how folks view Norton on here, don't worry. I've even had people accuse me of taking money from Norton.

I won't change my opinion based on being shouted at here, just like I won't change my opinion if manufacturers shout at me. :D

CYaBro
27-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Another couple of examples in the workshop just this week.
Two laptops, one running the Telecom supplied McAfee and the other Norton 360.
Both fully up to date and ran full system scans - Nothing found.
Both laptops had fake registry cleaner / booster programs installed.
Removed the two current AV programs and installed NOD32.
It immediately started finding infections before it even had a chance to download the latest definitions!

After updating and running a full scan on both, one found and removed about 30 infections and the other 69!

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm not shouting, just disbelief / amazement it's worked for you! Still, if you're happy, then good for you :D

Out of curiosity, how much would I have to pay you to run an eset online scan on that machine of yours and see what it picks up? ;)

Zara Baxter
27-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm not shouting, just disbelief / amazement it's worked for you! Still, if you're happy, then good for you :D

Out of curiosity, how much would I have to pay you to run an eset online scan on that machine of yours and see what it picks up? ;)

Pay? Nothing. More than happy to run Eset's online scanner over it, and post the results here. Drop me an email reminder, though? my work brain and home brain don't talk to each other. :D

nedkelly
27-02-2013, 10:41 AM
my work brain and home brain don't talk to each other. :D

Oh its not just me then

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 11:00 AM
While not every PC that has Norton will have infections, there a quite a few that do in one form or another.

Lab tests cant replicate real life usage, no matter how hard they try. They cant replicate a user clicking on something that they shouldn't or when a pop up or site they visits may cause problems.

As for Norton Not slowing down a PC -- Haven't seen one yet that goes better when Norton is removed.

Example working on a brand new Laptop hasn't even been on the internet yet, the person let the trial Norton install :groan: - They already had a Full Licence for Nod32 which will be used - the instant Norton Was removed there was a noticeable difference in performance - and this things no slouch i7-3630 (2.4 GHz) 6GB memory.

Nod may not be perfect, no AV is, but its sure a lot better than Norton.

BTW: the other PC was scanning earlier Had Norton, Now Nod32 - about 3/4 of the way through, 49 and counting ;) ( and Norton Said it was clean)

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 11:36 AM
OK deal, I'll do it tonight!

Does the online scanner also detect PUPs? I run linux at work and can't check...

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 12:04 PM
OK deal, I'll do it tonight!

Does the online scanner also detect PUPs? I run linux at work and can't check... Good Question - Didn't know so I rang Eset - according to them yes it does.

The install version has the option to enable or disable.( knew that one) :p

PeterQ
27-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I see nobody mentioned Kapersky

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Just having a read of some of those AV test results linked before.

Gotta love part of the disclaimer ;)

We take every possible care to ensure the correctness of the basic data, but liabil-
ity for the correctness of the test results cannot be taken by any representative of AV-Comparatives e.V.
We do not give any guarantee of the correctness, completeness, or suitability for a specific purpose of
any of the information/content provided at any given time.

Lab tests Phhfffff :p

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Hey Zara, how's about a wager?

If it picks something up, you buy my lunch at the PF1 meetup. Nothing flashy, just a bog-standard thai meal from the foodcourt. If it picks up nothing, I buy yours AND a beverage for you! :D
Thoughts?!

(I'm gonna be gutted as if it comes up clean)

Zara Baxter
27-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Hey Zara, how's about a wager?

If it picks something up, you buy my lunch. If it picks up nothing, I buy yours AND a beverage! :D
Do you accept?

(I'm gonna be gutted as if it comes up clean)

Sure! :D

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 01:10 PM
This'll be good LOL Chill waiting wondering if he has to fork out $$$ :lol:

Remember -- Screen shot of results either way or it didn't happen :p

Edited: Dont usually use the Online scanner myself, I install.

Got a clone of a drive here that I know has a few minor infections, so I'll scan it online and see if it detects them.

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Add to the Above - When running the online scanner, before running click the Advanced settings - enable everything, as shown.

Not bad :clap --

30 seconds into the scan

Even Better bit over 4 minutes in:

DeSade
27-02-2013, 02:27 PM
*sits on edge of chair waiting for results*

Zara Baxter
27-02-2013, 02:30 PM
*sits on edge of chair waiting for results*

You'll have to wait until about 8pm, so, uh, go outside and get some exercise in the meantime, eh? Sitting for long periods is bad for you, I hear. *nodnod*

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Man, I'm all anxious now :D

Oh well, at least it's just lunch + a drink I owe you, worst-case....

This will be interesting!!

27-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I see nobody mentioned Kapersky

I'll bite

KAV is one of the best, but there is a cost to being so good..... (KAV, not the suite)
We use it on our workshop PC to scan customers infected HD's.
Its sloooooow , but very thorough. I wouldnt recommend for anything but a temp scan/cleanup tool.
Its probably fine to put on a modern, fast PC.

btw, when comparing AV's in the real world, DONT use the standard settings. Set to scan everything.
AV scans that takes 3 hours will of course find more than a 10 minute scan by another product.
Analize the results, dont just go this found 8 when the other didnt: many may be false positives, Many may be non-issues
Look at if the results are warnings or infections & where these were found.
Some AV's include legit but dodgy programs (mywebsearch etc etc)
Java IS NOT a virus , yet will show up on some AV scans

Also, when comparing slowdowns, resource use, etc etc: dont compare a security suite(yuk) to a simple AV program.

just my 2c. :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Just in case MWS or similar shows up Zara, are we counting that as a valid detection? I'm keen to say yes :D

27-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Im sure Zara isnt silly enough to get her machine infected :-) , not anything of significance anyway

Most infections are self inflicted, just keep clicking those pop-ups, & opening those dodgy emails
:p

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 04:20 PM
@ Chill -- it "Should" be anything that the other AV's don't detect, the exception being cookies.

Malware minor or more vicious is still malware, capable of sending back information to someone.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2013, 04:41 PM
This should be interesting! :D

Agent_24
27-02-2013, 06:32 PM
I used NAV (Norton AntiVirus) for some years, during that time it did detect some viruses, but let others through. Not great for something they expect you to pay for.

Went through several others (AVG, Avast!, Nod32, Avira, and more..) before settling on Comodo. Comodo AV might not be the best in the business but it's pretty good, and coupled with Defense+ it's excellent. And it has a nice firewall which works wonders for controlling everything going in and out... Unlike ZoneAlarm aka BSOD generator....

In fact if you use their Defense+ engine and don't do anything stupid, it's quite safe to say you hardly even need the Antivirus.

All things considered I prefer a free version of Comodo with Defense+ over a paid version of even Nod32 without.

Only thing is for it to be effective you need to know how to use it. If you want something that's truly set-and-forget, I think you should get Nod32. If you are an advanced user who actually understands what's going on in your computer, what to block and what not to, Comodo's Defense+ works very well, and doesn't cost a thing.

Remember: NOTHING will protect against user stupidity!

SanChippy
27-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I think that we all know that since ESET's NOD32 is the best recommened around here that we should all us it.

Slankydudl
27-02-2013, 09:19 PM
unless you don't want to pay so you either go with Microsoft AV or what agent_24 suggested. Personally i don't see much point in paying for the best AV unless your going to download files such as Gimmemalwareplz.exe

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 09:51 PM
unless you don't want to pay so you either go with Microsoft AV or what agent_24 suggested. Personally i don't see much point in paying for the best AV unless your going to download files such as Gimmemalwareplz.exe Dont agree with that - you dont even have to be downloading anything to get infections.

A couple of Xmas's ago we were sitting in the lounge, Nod32 was triggered by a drive by download on SWMBO's PC, and no one was even on her computer at the time. In fact it had only been turned on for a few minutes and hadn't been on the internet browsing or anything that day.

Agent_24
27-02-2013, 10:04 PM
A couple of Xmas's ago we were sitting in the lounge, Nod32 was triggered by a drive by download on SWMBO's PC, and no one was even on her computer at the time. In fact it had only been turned on for a few minutes and hadn't been on the internet browsing or anything that day.

That's a bit creepy. Mind sharing the name of the virus?

wainuitech
27-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Cant remember it was a couple of years ago.

have had similar with XP - doing fresh installs, and putting them on the internet to do updates without an AV first - been a couple of times WHAM - hit with something - Wrong place wrong time. :crying

Theres actually a few tests I've seen - people putting unprotected XP machines on the internet and showing how fast they can be infected, by simple web browsing - not days or hours but within minutes.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2013, 12:13 AM
So no reply from Zara ... Not sure if that means I get a free lunch or not? :p

Agent_24
28-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Need to be more paranoid ;) :lol:

After Windows installs, the first thing I do is install drivers (downloaded and checked prior) and AV offline from a known good copy and manually update definitions if needed. Setup firewall and only then do I connect to the network for anything else.

Some people call me crazy, but I enjoy having my Windows malware-free.

28-02-2013, 09:04 AM
@ Chill -- it "Should" be anything that the other AV's don't detect, the exception being cookies.

Malware minor or more vicious is still malware, capable of sending back information to someone.

What about the usual detections of valid programs, that should be a mark against for each one.
Password reset tools, Outlook password decoders, Office & Win keyfinders(decoders), 3rd party remote access software, JAVA!!!
eg revelation, keyfinder, majic jellybean

pcuser42
28-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Need to be more paranoid ;) :lol:

After Windows installs, the first thing I do is install drivers (downloaded and checked prior) and AV offline from a known good copy and manually update definitions if needed. Setup firewall and only then do I connect to the network for anything else.

Some people call me crazy, but I enjoy having my Windows malware-free.

Meh, with Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7, 8 I don't bother doing that, the firewall works until something else is installed. Vanilla XP you have a point though.

What about the usual detections of valid programs, that should be a mark against for each one.
Password reset tools, Outlook password decoders, Office & Win keyfinders(decoders), 3rd party remote access software, JAVA!!!
eg revelation, keyfinder, majic jellybean

Java should count as malware ;)

plod
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Ate we still waiting for Zara's results?

Greven
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Norton 360 isn't as bad as it used to be - I find the latest version runs OK on old hardware. I still wouldn't recommend purchasing it because NOD32 does a much better job & the unnecessary extra components included in a security suite have a habit of getting in the way, or sometimes just being annoying. Especially annoying are the "speed up your PC" features being added to every security suite - none of them actually work.

Zara probably wouldn't have anything nasty on her system even if she didn't run any anti-virus, so it is hard to judge detection rates in that situation. I expect the Eset scan will come up clean.

pcuser42
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
norton is good but it is costly and gives too much warnings and thus slows pc so other free antivirus download like nod32 is good .

First, how did you manage to get past the spam filters!?

Second, NOD32 isn't free.

Agent_24
02-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Second, NOD32 isn't free.

That would depend on where you got it from.

pcuser42
02-03-2013, 09:36 AM
That would depend on where you got it from.

I'm talking legally ;)

Agent_24
02-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I assume then that Free Antivirus Download wasn't.