PDA

View Full Version : ts to avi converter

Bryan
26-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Can anyone recomend a converter for .ts to .avi please? Preferable free of course!

dugimodo
26-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Trouble is .ts is a container and can contain different codecs. I tried when freeview first started to convert the .ts files my pc recorded to avi and could never get it to work. The software I tried seemed to expect an mpeg 2 stream and even if I could get it to work had no sound. The closest I came was actually microsoft movie maker and burning to DVD but despite good video there was still no sound.

So it depends where the ts files come from and what codecs are in use. Hopefully codec support has improved since I gave up.

John H
26-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Handbrake. http://handbrake.fr/

dugimodo
26-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Pretty sure Handbrake doesn't output avi, at least not the windows version.
MP4 or MKV are better anyway but not as universally playable.

John H
26-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Ooops, I didn't notice you want .avi files. I can't confirm that you can create them - I always go for .mp4, so you will need to check on the page I have given you whether you can get .avi files from it. To me it looks like you can only create .mp4 and MKV containers. Maybe there is another converter that will take you from .mp4 to .avi, but that would take forever.

Like the previous poster said, lots of converters will give you the video but not the audio. Handbrake is the only freeware I have found that gives you both.

BBCmicro
26-02-2013, 10:44 AM
MPEG Streamclip (free) doesn't convert to avi but is great for converting ts to mpg. Also allows quick-and-dirty cutting of ads. I use it to remove ads even though I have Adobe premiere CS5.5

For general conversion, Xmedia Recode (free) converts anything to anything and normalises the sound in the process, also adjusting aspect ratio and tidying the top of the picture. I particularly like its ability to batch-convert

(The professionals will tell you - as they told me - that you should be converting to MP4 rather than avi. Specifically h264 video (or x264) + AAC sound in an MP4 container. Modern devices such as smart TVs, smartphones and tablets are optimised for MP4. I am amazed that such devices can decode MP4 so effortlessly)

paulw
26-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Some times just changing the .ts to .mpg will work. Are these files from a TiVo because I would like an easy way of doing this with the tools I've got..

psycik
26-02-2013, 02:22 PM
It all depends where the ts comes from, I can make an mpeg2 based .TS by recording off satellite or an h.264 one but recording off DVB-T,

Also most places don't really use .avi any more. But you could try something like autogk. Personally I'd use handbrake and make an mp4.