PDA

View Full Version : Converting .tif to .jpg or something small...

16-11-2001, 10:45 PM
Hi, I'm getting to like this site... The problem this time is converting a VERY high resolution .tif image which has been scanned and is on CDR, down to something around 100kb or so to be used as a desktop background. the tif file is 8megs, and when I save it as a bmp it takes about 5 secs to display... hmm. If I convert it to a jpg using windows imaging becomes 100kb, but does not allow me to save it as a jpg, it still only offers tif or bmp. How do make it a usable size and a format that windows will allow to be used as a background? Thx:)

16-11-2001, 11:07 PM
The freeware program IRFANVIEW is excellent for viewing, cropping, resampling (changing resolution), resaving in other formats.
Note: a Windows desktop background has to be in BMP format, but you can make it low resolution.

16-11-2001, 11:59 PM
Hello Erin,

You can use Jpeg format pictures for desktop wallpapers, just run the active desktop feature in Win98 & ME if running Win95 you will need to use IE4.xx to use this feature, it is not part of IE5 or later as it became integrated into the windows platform.

Alan

17-11-2001, 03:11 AM
Changing to a JPG isn't going to speed up displaying your wall paper.
Windows will have to decompress it to display it. And turning on active desktop will make everything slower.

Resize the image to match the resolution you use, eg 1024x768 so windows won't need to resize it.
If its still too slow, reduce the colour depth to 256 colours (have a play with the settings in irfanview to get it looking ok).

If your computer doesn't have much RAM then displaying the background will always be slow.

17-11-2001, 10:30 AM
I have an athlon running at 1650mhz, with 384mb ram and an overclocked geforce 2 MX 64... but it is still slow. It's bearable when I get the size down to 500k, but still a bit shabby. Irfanview is incredibly complicated, but I think I've got it sorted, thx for your help.

17-11-2001, 10:43 PM
Hi Erin,
My preference is a great little program called TriVista - ASI (A smaller Image) - works terrific on all formats - plus you can add text - or enhancements - but it is shareware - got it originally via download com - can't remember what it cost - but its worth it - just another idea to think on - but I really recommend it , Simon

20-11-2001, 03:48 AM
I use ACDsee 4 myself excellent program allows editing easy to use and does multiple conversion of bmp images to jpg done up to 30 in one hit took about 20 seconds really fast and easy as to transfer pics from one folder to another can view them all as well at once.
contact me if you need any help kiwibeat@hotmail.com