PDA

View Full Version : Win98 - Win NT 4 Cross over network??

16-11-2001, 05:06 PM
Hi,

I have two computers on a cross over network. One running Windows 98 and the other Windows NT 4 Workstation. The problem is that they dont seem to recognise each other. They are on the same workgroup and have different computer names so I dont see what the problem is. Is there more software I need to install. I only installed Windows NT 4 Workstation today and have installed no other software including the Service pack. What do I need to set up on both computers to get them to share printers, files, and internet?

16-11-2001, 06:33 PM
Make sure that if you have TCP / IP set up that you use the same network ID, different host ID same subnet mask.
ie 192.168.1.x where x is different for each computer and is betwenn 1 - 254.
subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
you need an account on the win NT machine that has rights to log on to it over a network.
test, if you can ping the other computer you should be able to share resources.
open a dos prompt and type
ping 192.168.1.x (where x is your ip address from up top.)
you should get a response >10ms if you get request timed out then something is wrong.

I know you said that you had a crossover network MAKE SURE that the cable you have is right. if the cable goes directly from one computer to the other with no hub in between then it should be a 'CROSSOVER' cable. where the two ends of the cable are different. If the two ends of the cable are IDENTICAL then you have the wrong one. there will be 8 coloured wires CHECK THEM CAREFULLY.
Check Internet connection sharing on W98
share folders on both BUT ONLY SHARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO!!!!!!! beacuse on W98 everything that you share is FULLY accessable over the internet when you are on use the password option for read only and full controll.

Also if you have that great program ZONE ALARM (on the W98 machine) for the internet baddies then you will have problems. because it is designed to hide the computer on all networks that it is connected to.
Well that is a start.
once you have waded through this you are ready for stage 2.
if you got lost with what I have said then that is where you start buying books. and asking questions of us again. Because there is a 500 page book on how to network and use Windows NT 4 Workstation.

Bye for now Wayne
If you respond to me I will get an email so keep asking questions...

16-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Also see win 98 and w2k...
Did not see that untill just now..

16-11-2001, 06:37 PM
peer to peer networking...